Sudden General Election in UK to be held June 8th 2017

by freddo 167 Replies latest social current

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

@Fairlane, I agree that the Scots have, and do, present the World with very talented people, and they are a nation of hard workers.

It is such a huge deficit though, and no immediate entry to the E.U, and hence access to funds, is guaranteed.

So how do they prevent economic collapse from the day they leave the U.K ?

From an emotional point of view I would love to see an Independent Scotland, it would go some way to redressing the evil perpetrated in the past by the English upon the Scots, but from a pragmatic point of view I do not see how this can be achieved.

• Fairlane
    Fairlane

An independent Scotland would democratically be able to decide policy on these matters the snp is not the only option at the polls. Thats the benefit of independent decision making, its in the hands of the people.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    From an emotional point of view I would love to see an Independent Scotland, it would go some way to redressing the evil perpetrated in the past by the English upon the Scots, but from a pragmatic point of view I do not see how this can be achieved.

I think we've managed to perpetrate evil around most of the globe over the centuries, so Scotland aren't alone.

BTW, we've never declared war on Portugal.

• cofty
    cofty

Phizzy - Edward I was a very long time ago. It's time let the guilt go. When Wallace defeated the English at Stirling they murdered raped and pillaged all the way to Newcastle. The past is the past.

I am proud to be Scots and I want the best for Scotland. That is why I am against independence.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Phizzy - I presume you are also hoping for an exit from the EU to put right the evil perpetrated on the British peoples by the Roman legions?

Seriously though - Scotland and England and Wales and Ireland (now just NI) have collaborated much much more than they have fought and have changed the world immeasurably. To lose a union which has had such a powerful influence (for better or worse) on the world in pursuit of naked nationalism is to really misunderstand how much we gained from each other. Without English money and population size Scottish influence across the world, in history, becomes much less and vice versa, Scottish inventors, soldiers, innovators and hard workers made a huge contribution to the spread of western ideas and inventions under the Union Jack.

The union of 4 nations has been a beacon to the world for many years. Scotland alone or in the EU is a much dimmer light and the world is poorer for it.

England and Scotland should think about dissolving the union for good and making it a permanent single state. This division , stirred up by false nationalism, is an utter waste of something great and something that is unlikely to ever happen again. There are no people closer in blood, family and shared history than the Scots and the English/Welsh/Irish. Heck Ireland should consider creating the nation of Great Britain and get on with creating an outpost of law, fairness, education and enlightenment in this world of teetering institutions and war filled collapsing states.

If the EU is to become something similar to the UK it has a lot to do to change and there is nothing stopping the UK from rejoining at some future date. A reformed UK once broken is unlikely to ever happen again.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Phizzy what about the 40+ years previous to that when North Sea oil propped up the UK economy?

The fact is Scotland needs to develop its economy whether it becomes independent or not. One industry is in decline, others will replace it. Judging Scotland's economy on one year of low oil price is like evaluating someone's income during a month when they left one job and haven't started another yet.

Scotland still has a lot of oil and gas and could finally begin an oil fund like Norway, especially if the price recovers. And as Scotland adapts to no oil, it can copy many successful small countries without oil such as Denmark. Scotland has great resources and potential including tourism, renewable energy, food and drink exports, pharmaceuticals, financial services, worldclass universities.

Unionists need to explain how relying on handouts from London constitutes a viable economic plan. It's stupid, it's lazy, and it's pretty naive to think English people will go for it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Interesting. You have a strong, confident woman about to tackle negotiations on the terms of leaving a political union - which she was always in favour of - and she is broadly praised.

You have another strong, confident woman negotiating for a referendum to leave a political union she has always been philosophically opposed to and she is widely condemned.

I'm no political animal, my interests don't lie there, but the spectacle is fascinating.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Theresa May called the election because wants a blank check to do whatever she wants.

Labour can't win the election obviously, but many people in England are voting Labour to try to curb the Tory majority.

In Scotland we will likely vote SNP to curb the Tories.

We won't get another chance until 2022 because of May's cynical timing.

Journalists and others have noticed May is not above "playing games with politics" as she puts it.

It will backfire as people vote to stop her getting a landslide.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr
    Interesting. You have a strong, confident woman about to tackle negotiations on the terms of leaving a political union - which she was always in favour of - and she is broadly praised.
    You have another strong, confident woman negotiating for a referendum to leave a political union she has always been philosophically opposed to and she is widely condemned.

The country is broadly in favour of leaving the EU and even more strongly in favour of having May, someone actively trying to unify people around a difficult subject, conduct the negotiations - hence praise.

The country (UK or Scotland) is broadly in favour of remaining a unified kingdom and of not having Sturgeon, actively sowing discord and seeking to create arguments, break that up (in fact it would be useful to see her do more of her day job before supporting giving her even more authority in an independent country) - hence condemnation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Where is Sturgeon unpopular? The Daily Mail?

She is by far the most popular leader in Scotland.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/how-nicola-sturgeon-and-ruth-davidson-s-approval-ratings-have-changed-1-4417273

More and more Scots support indepdence. At the start of the last campaign only 30% of Scots supported independence. Now polls put support at around 50% and the campaign hasn't even started yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit