January 19, 2017 TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN WALES Re: Prerecorded Memorial and Special Talk 2017 - Welsh

by wifibandit 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    For this you have to remember that in Wales there are estimated to be about 562,000 Welch speakers that is supported by only 10 Welch congregations. There are in comparison 41 English congregation in Wales. So there won't be a lot of elders who speak Welch so they are needing to be able to play a recorded talk because it has to be given all in the same night.

That's because the majority of Welsh speakers speak English. The number of people who only speak Welsh is much, much smaller (if they exist at all - god, that's child abuse if it is).

Many years ago I worked on websites for the Welsh Assembly (the regional government). The number visiting the Welsh language versions of pages was very small compared to the English version.

Welsh is also artificially kept alive and pushed by the government ... which is something the WTS takes advantage of and probably gets some grant money for when they do "local language" endeavours like this.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Richrd Oliver: Menlo Park was it's [sic] own corporation with it's [sic] own bylaws and constitution

Given your indefensible comments, you most certainly work for the Witchtower, but you certainly are not part of the writing committee.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

I don't work for Watchtower. I just look for facts and not what people say. If you read the actual information in that Menlo Park case it is some crazy stuff that Cobb claimed. Read the actual court documents and depositions and you will see the truth behind that case.

Second, everyone here knows there is a difference between the writing department and writing committee right.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Joe: I also suspect that WT may be in receipt of government subsidies for 'promotion of the Welsh language'.

^^^This^^^

Richard Oliver, you come across as having knowledge about how the WTS operates. Any comment on the possibility that the org receives grants/subsidies/special considerations, etc., for providing language services?

Language revitalization is a popular global initiative. How does the org's language initiatives fit in that framework? Do they take advantage of the monies available for such an endeavor?

Or are the translation operations of the WTS simply a "charitable activity" that enables the org to have tax-free status?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

There are indications that Watchtower does receive awards from governments as they are helping to print material in less known native languages. The Navajo nation is very happy that Watchtower is trying to present information in that language, including written material because it was considered being on the cusp of extinction at least when it came to the written form.

I don't know about incentives when it comes to languages, but I do know that they do accept government grants when it is offered to them in accordance to their normal activities. I know for sure that at Patterson, that New York City subsidies their water treatment center. The New York EPA gave the City the option of cleaning up their own water or paying people above them to clean up their waste water. Since Paterson is in the Hudson Valley, NYC does pay them for their waste water treatment. I know that bethelites do have to put down their costs center when they get materials for a job for audit and accounting purposes, most of the time it is pretty lax because it doesn't affect too much, except when it comes to working in the treatment plant. Every time there has to accounted for because they send the costs to NYC and they pay a certain percentage.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

BTW I only know what I read in either public documents or by what is posted on this site or other sites but only what is from a primary source, such as the document or court records that is written by the authority that can implement it like a court.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Navajo nation is very happy that Watchtower is trying to present information in that language.....RO

LOL!!..
    Image result for crazy finger to headImage result for Crazy

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Well outlaw you always contribute important information to a conversation, oh wait that is right you just post nonsensical memes that is used to attack people. but oh well.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Thank you for your reply, Richard.

Just one little comment. You said "...they do accept government grants when it is offered to them"

Government grants don't work that way. The grants are not "offered". Organizations apply and compete for them.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Not all government grants do organizations compete for. Yes most if not all do require an application but a competitiveness for grants is not always the case. There are a number of grants that if you apply and meet the qualifications for there is no discretion in who gets it and who doesn't. Example are government grants for students. If a student applies and meets the minimum qualification they get x amount of grant money, there are competitive grants in college financial aid system but not always.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit