January 19, 2017 TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN WALES Re: Prerecorded Memorial and Special Talk 2017 - Welsh

by wifibandit 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Jesus once told the rich man to go, sell everything he had, give it to the poor and follow him.

Did he say: Donate your property to the poor?

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

If you don't think that they are spending their money correctly then don't contribute to them. I don't understand why it is such a big concern for so many people here what they spend their money on. If people want to contribute to a cause it is their right to contribute or not. And if you want to contribute and put a restriction on what those monies can be used for than you can make a conditional contribution. When people donate to the Red Cross some of the money they contribute might be used for things that they agree with and some may not, but you contribute to the organization. It is not a tax, so no one forced you to contribute to them. It is a voluntary thing.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    RO: There is a legal definition of control over a corporation. The governing body does not have seats on the board of directors, nor are they voting members of the corporation. Technically the directors of the corporation can tell the GB to go and screw off if they wanted too, from a legal point of view. It is does the person have legal control over an organization or are they an employee of that corporation. The only thing that the GB are members of is the ROSFSJW.

Exactly.

That is what people on this forum and elsewhere have been saying for ages. And yet, whenever the suggestion comes up that the GB doesn't control the WTS and that the control of the org is "behind the scenes"...then everybody jumps up and down and accuses the person who made that claim as being a conspiracy nut.

All the energy that people put into railing against the GB is pretty much useless - it is the corporation that has the power, not the GB

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve seen pics of the inside..... Very nice..

WBT$ Royalty likes to live well..

If your a JW in a poor country..

Be grateful if your Kingdom Hall doesn`t have a dirt floor..

Image result for Kingdom hall africa

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Technically the directors of the corporation can tell the GB to go and screw off if they wanted too,

Actually, no. They probably have a rule (like it is the case for the congregations), where they cannot be directors if they are not JWs in good standing. This gives the GB the authority to disfellowship them and replace them with who ever they want.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    Actually yes, that is how the legal definitions for the directors work. They control the legal corporations and are supposed to serve in the best interest of the corporation. Granted there are a number of directors so you would have to convince a majority of the directors to go against the governing body, but they have the legal right to do anything they so desire. There are ways to remove a director or a voting member of the corporation but that process would have to be completed before a majority of directors vote one way or the other.
  • Spoletta
    Spoletta

When an organization is selling off property, laying off people, and forcing people to drive long distances, and at the same time is building large unneeded complexes, I think it DOES matter where the money is going.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

And by the way you can get a copy of the WBTS of NY and PA bylaws and constitution through the Secretary of State's office in their respective states, both are public records.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I’m not questioning people’s right to give money or not. But don’t tell me people don’t have the right to question how a charity spends its money either.

If, after reading our comments, people find the spending of the watchtower acceptable and still want to contribute, then, that is their business and I respect that.

But don’t tell me we should not question because we no longer contribute.

Most of us already gave plenty of money, time, sweet and even blood to the watchtower without ever being shown the flip side of the coin on numerous significant issues, including how the WT spends its money.

I say all this entitles us to go on here and complain as much as we want to.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

In a response to 'Richard Oliver' on another thread I started my remarks with 'with respect'. I withdraw that. He is, IMHO, talking uninformed apologist bollocks.

You don't have to take my word for it (well, you do, of course - this is the internet!) but I discussed this with my daughter-in-law's parents. They live in the area and their first (and predominant - they tolerate me) language is Welsh. I showed them this property, explained its purported use and their laughter and expletives were multi-lingual.

Now then, just to explain a little bit about the use of Welsh and English (bear with me, it;ll help me to make my later point). Wales is not (never has been) a united country. Many local rivalries persist, with accusations of 'you're not really Welsh, we are'. The Welsh spoken in north Wales can be quite different from that spoken in the south, and both can differ from that spoken in the west (where I live). There is, nowadays, an ;official' Welsh which can confuse everyody.

My grand-daughters (7 & 5) attend a Welsh medium school (i.e. all lessons are taught in Welsh). They have homework reading books in both Welsh and English and use the languages interchangeably. At home they mostly speak Welsh with their Mum, with me we use English or they translate for me and we mix it about a bit (my Welsh is limited).

There are very very few people in Wales now who don't have working English. There are still, of course, some Welsh language chapels - I have a good friend who is a minister of some - but it's a matter of preference and they're dying out.

The Welsh language has become a bit of a political issue. All official documents, road signs, etc., are bilingual. There is official funding to promote Welsh.

So I come to my point. The property that WT bought is, by any reasonable standard, a 'luxury' property, much over=specified for its purported use, especially in a university town where far more suitable and far cheaper properties were available. I also suspect that WT may be in receipt of government subsidies for 'promotion of the Welsh language'.

Just to make it clear, I think RO is talking apolgetic bollocks,

Hwyl fawr!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit