Can you be a JW who does not have the GB as their leader?

by DoubtingThomas 99 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

DT - Everything hinges on whether or not certain Bible Students in Brooklyn New York were examined and then appointed in 1919 to be the Faithful Slave...and that their mandate was passed on to all subsequent Watchtower leaders.

If they were you should stick with their teachings. If not, you are free to study the Bible for yourself asking God to guide your understanding.

My advice, based on their history, is to assume they are not and let the word of God determine what you believe.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The WTBS led me to the Truth (Bible), and I've embraced it!

DT,

I'm curious. How do you expect to survive the judgement after you die as described in Hebrews 9:27 while personally rejecting the blood covenant offered for the forgiveness of sins in Mt. 26: 27-28

In other words, What exactly is the bible truth that you have embraced that saves you from judgment?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can certainly relate to a lot that DoubtingThomas says. Realising that the Watchtower is wrong is no reason to lose faith in God & Jesus.

A criticism hurled at me before now is that I should respect the ones who taught me about the Scripture... but that does not mean I have to follow all the things that they have reasoned out and proved to be in error.

Can you be a JW and not follow the GB? ... Well you can certainly witness to Jehovah if you like, but can you BE one of that Organisation known internationally as Jehovah’s Witnesses? No , as their written statements clearly show.

Being a Dub is all about loyalty, that is not to God but loyalty to the Organisation and the GB.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

Mick- I worship Jehovah.

I don't believe ....... EVERYTHING ... the GB says.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

SB- what are you TALKING about?

Been listening to your CHURCH?

• carla
    carla

Doubting Tom, you are a good example of a jw. You are rude and condescending.

By the way you needn't YELL at people here. Capitalizing as you do is the equivalent of yelling in case you didn't know.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    carla13 minutes ago

Doubting Tom, you are a good example of a jw. You are rude and condescending.

By the way you needn't YELL at people here. Capitalizing as you do is the equivalent of yelling in case you didn't know.

i pointed that out to him already in another thread, deaf ears.

But--repetition for emphasis as we used to be taught eh?

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

I type caps for emphasis.

If you want to ignore that, be my guest.

• DoubtingThomas
    DoubtingThomas

" rude and condescending" describes EVERONE here...

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Doubting Thomas: If you want to have a decent exchange, I'm willing to give it a try.

Since you don't believe everything originating from the Governing Body (GB), than you might be in the same boat as my dad: He believes the "truth", however, he believes that the GB is like a bad king ruling over Israel. While Israel had its share of bad kings, they were still God's people. So, good king or bad king, they had to remain in God's people. According to this logic, same would go with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Good or bad, they are Jehovah's People.

However, this falls apart considering that Christ changed the selection criteria for God's people. With Isreal, this was by birth. However, starting with Christ's death, this changed to "by deeds". This is the very logic used by Jehovah's Witnesses for telling people to move out of "Christianity". According to JWs, the first century Christians were organized (had an organization) and were selected by Jesus himself. Yet, they lost their way and now, people are urged to join another organization that was "chosen" invisibly in the 20th century. This logical pattern exposes the JWs to the possibility that they could also lose God's favor by their wrongful actions.

So the question is: What are the things that you do not believe from the Governing Body and how does this impact that group's ability to please God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit