If Your Child or Friend Told You They Were Gay, Would You Be Disturbed?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I would be very disturbed, with member of my family it would disgust me.How low in morale one person can go?Everything that have to do with that sort of behavier is to me,revolting.

Morale? You mean, morals, perhaps?

I guess that you could also accuse hurricanes or earthquakes as being immoral, too. They are natural pheonomena as well.

Judge when you have the facts, kiddo. Morals have nothing to do with homosexuality. As for morale, there are plenty of well adjusted, happy homosexuals out there, provided they don't have to put up with your type of bigotry every day.

ash.

• kyria
    kyria

Is there anyone who is vehemently anti-gay for NON religious reasons? Seems to me all hatred towards homosexuality stems from religion. Which is why I never understood gay Christians! How can you go to a church when your own bible condemns you? I feel like they are self-hating homosexuals.

I mean, I understand that gay people want to believe in god... but why choose the homophobic biblical one?

• waiting
    waiting

A person can be gay & be a jw.....as long as they don't sexually act out. Been told that by elders for 30 years now, different congregations, different states.

I have three children - all xjw's, all living well, doing well, and much more content.

My middle child is 6'3" handsomely blond and gay. He's been living with the same man for going on 4 years now, and they're more adjusted than I am.

It irritates me NO END that they have two good incomes, two people who can use electrical tools and lift heavy things AND decorate beautifully. And they agree with me - they do it all well. Smugness. My other two kids are straight.....and I love all three dearly.

I knew my middle son (had gay tendencies) from the time he was around 4-6. My father was an evil, gay man. The man I first married had a mother who lived as a man after she turned 20. My favorite aunt is a militant gay.

When I was in therapy for other things, I was a jw and upset my son was gay. The psychiatrist asked about my family history and I told him the above. His mouth dropped open & then he said "And your upset that ONE of your children is gay??????"

My son & I share a good bond - and how we came to a compromise (even when I was a jw) was that we met for lunch every two weeks and talked about everything BUT religion & sex. We sent each other joke cards.......and our relationship survived. It was worth the effort on both our parts. He's my sunshine.

"I'd rather be black than gay because I wouldn't have had to tell my mother. She'd already know." author unknown

More than anything else, the thought of AIDS bothers me.

• SM62
    SM62

I haven't read all this thread, so I hope I am not repeating what has been said.

All I can say is this - I love my children so much, that no matter what they said to me, as long as they were not hurting anyone, I would still love them. My love for them overcomes my own personal prejudices. I love them unconditionally.

Terri

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

No it would not make me happy when my kid tels me that she is gay.
    For my friends, it won't make any difference.
    I have only one daughter, and fortunately she is straight - which in my opinion is easier in life.

• minimus
    minimus

As we mature, we come to see that everyone is different and that we all have our own views, whether they are considered "right" or "wrong". Personally, I don't care if a person is heterosexual, homosexual, asexual or any other sexual. What I don't feel comfortable with is if 2 people start kissing and "making out" in front of an audience. And that goes for whatever sexual preference an individual has. If my friend or child told me that they were gay, I would accept who they are and love them for the people that they've always been.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    More than anything else, the thought of AIDS bothers me.

Waiting, as a part of the gay community myself, I can assure you that the vast majority of gay men are probably better educated about AIDS than that of the general population.

I would be more worried about AIDS if I came from a low-income, poorly educated black or hispanic family, because these are the two groups in the USA where AIDS is still on an exponential rise.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Arancia

I would be very disturbed, with member of my family it would disgust me.How low in morale one person can go?Everything that have to do with that sort of behavier is to me,revolting.

More people feel like you than are willing to admit it. I respect your honesty. But I'll bet you a penny if you met me you wouldn't feel revolted and would end up liking me as a friend. I'm bisexual but actually find myself more attracted to women than men.

My parents were distrubed at first. I think the average parent would be. A loving parent wants their child to enjoy what is best in life and at first glance being gay might seem as bad as it gets. I knew my parents wouldn't be happy but they've more than accepted it. Mom has gone so far as to request details of my sex life. She understands it much better now of course.

Now I have no problem bringing lesbian or bi friends over to the house. When we go skiing there is a lesbian friend of mine that my parents love and they always invite her themselves.

My dad admitted that it would have been more difficult if he had a son that was gay, but he's met gay friends of mine and enjoys their company as much as if they were straight. I once told him that none of my gay friends thought he was hot and he pretended to be offended by that. He said he'd have to take better care of himself. Funny guy and I love him and mom to death.

• minimus
    minimus

Stacy-----Maybe you told your dad that so he wouldn't feel "threatened".

• Hamas
    Hamas

Stacy, you must have real loving parents.. I can tell you love them lots.

You are lucky.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit