If Your Child or Friend Told You They Were Gay, Would You Be Disturbed?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    First off, gay men are more likely to contract HIV than a non-gay man;

Stinky, a point of clarification, if I may: Gay men are more likely to have HIV than a non-gay man. With today's medicines and drug "cocktails" available, most HIV positive gay men are being successfully treated for the disease. A few short years ago, an HIV positive diagnosis meant an automatic death sentence from AIDS. I lost my first partner (we were together 14 years) to the disease before the current medications became available. The majority of HIV positive gay males who take their medications as prescribed are living long, healthy lives, many of them having now been HIV positive for more than a decade, with the virus virtually undetectable in their bodies. The gay male population has been well enough educated that they know the proper precautions to take to avoid contracting and/or spreading the disease. This isn't to say that all do, but most do.

Heterosexual hispanic and black males, especially from the lower income brackets are currently far more likely to contract it. Due to high levels of illiteracy and low standards of education, these men are at high risk for AIDS because they do not understand the reality of unprotected sex, nor do they have available to them the medical/financial resources so the disease can be properly treated.

• acsot
    acsot
    I lost my first partner (we were together 14 years) to the disease before the current medications became available.

SFJ: My condolences, that must have been horrible.

BTW, I've visited your web site several times, when I learned the truth about the JWs and was still in a quandary about the supposed biblical injunction against homosexuality - now that I'm agnostic I could care less what's written there - and then afterwards showed it to my brother, but he was never really involved as a JW so from that viewpoint he doesn't really "get it". It's a great site .

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I doesn't bother me. I've lived with gay people and still do on occasion have gay roomies, both male and female. It's not a big deal. I'm not gay or bi but if my friends are that's their business. And I also don't like it when anybody makes out in front of me regardless of who they're making out with. I don't do it in front of people it is just rude. And imature.

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

Not at all

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    I lost my first partner (we were together 14 years) to the disease before the current medications became available.

SFJ: My condolences, that must have been horrible.

Ascot, yes, it was a terrible experience. I saw Rick suffer through a battery of bizarre illnesses once his immune system was gone. When he finally died, he only weighed 86 lbs.. Rick has been gone 9 years now. I miss him very much. I would never wish what he went through on anyone.

On a happier note, I've been with my current partner for 5 years.

It's a great site .
    Thanks very much. I put my heart into it, and am always adding more material to it. When I was disfellowshipped 23 years ago, there was no place for me to turn for comfort or support. I went through years of hell because of it. If, by the work I've done with the Common Bond site (http://www.gayxjw.org/), I can spare just one person the grief I went through, then it's all worth it.
  • Big Tex
    Big Tex

If I love my children unconditionally, then I will love them by whatever name or label they choose. I know what it feels like to have others sit in judgment, and if I were to turn around and judge others, especially my children, then my entire experience with the Witnesses has become invalid. I would have learned nothing. If I reject my children, then my entire experience with my abusive parents has become invalid. I would have learned nothing.

If my children told me they were gay, I would still love them. But really to say I love my children is nothing to brag about. I'm only doing what I am supposed to do. No more, no less.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". - (Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II).

Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. -- 1 Cor. 13:7

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Hamas I know how lucky I am. I've read how you feel about your dad and that really makes me sad. It isn't fair even a little bit.

But no matter how great my parents are I'm not having kids.

• Earnest
    Earnest

minimus, in my case the converse of this was "If you were a gay man and a member of your family told you they were JW, would you be disturbed?" My father led an unothodox life with the result that I discovered some years ago that I had a half-brother I knew nothing of. When we eventually met six years ago it was simply amazing...an older brother just a few hours away. And then I was faced with your question - if you discovered your sibling was gay, would you be disturbed. I was disturbed. And so was he when he discovered I was a JW. It had nothing to do with hate at all but on both sides the other lived in a world we had no experience of and could not relate to. Our bonding as brothers has been painfully slow as neither wished to offend the other or to show the misgivings we held in our hearts. He died a month ago today...

Earnest

• minimus
    minimus

Earnest, that was a wonderful, heartfelt expression that you just shared with us...Very powerful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit