If Your Child or Friend Told You They Were Gay, Would You Be Disturbed?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman
    If the act of gay sex itself offends you, well, you don't have to be there for it,do you?

Well said Maybes, well said.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    are they going to un-gay someone

Un-Gay? LOL

Sounds like a smelly muscle cream.

ash

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If it happened I would

1. be happy they felt safe enough with me to tell be
    2. accept them whole-heartedly as I do now
    3. be concerned due to the prejudice out there

But not disturbed

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Several years after I left the Borg, I made a lot of male friends in college. One of my male friends I had known for months turned out to be gay. It took me a few weeks to accept the news without thinking it was all some kind of eloborate joke. When I knew for sure he was gay, it was just another thing I realized that the Watchtower Society and the Bible lied about. It is completely acceptable in my book for anyone to be gay. It didn't then, nor does it now threaten my own feelings of being hetrosexual. It is simply a choice that perhaps has some biological influences.

Skipper

• riz
    riz

no. why would that disturb me?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been down this road with both of our older kids. (We have 3, boy 28, girl 27 and boy 18)Early in college our daughter announced that she liked girls. She was about 18-19 at the time. When she brought a girlfiiend home the only thing I said was be descreet in front of your little brother. (Never had a reason to bring this up with son, but the conversation would have been the same) A couple of years later the oldest and his wife told us they were getting divorced, the reason being that son was gay (he was the one to say that). This was all a few years ago and both are now in relationships with members of the opposite sex. Go figure.

The thing is, it doesn't make any difference to us. They are our children and we love them. As long as they are happy, and being careful (not a judgement, I still worry when they're driving), it is no longer my issue. They are adults and can make their own judgements about how they want to live their lives.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Ditto Lady Lee...but understand Mulan's feelings to. I would regret not having grandchildren (but then again they could be straight and not any too)

• starfish422
    starfish422

If it was one of my children, I would defend their decision and the validity of their relationship to my dying breath. I would be proud that hubby and I had raised a strong child who wasn't afraid of a little adversity (from outside sources, of course) and who had strength of character to be honest with themselves and others. I would hope that they would never be concerned about our reaction or that we would disapprove; but as my son is only 3.5 and the other isn't born yet (due in March!! ) it's obviously far too early for conversations on the topic of sex. Never too soon, though, to lay the groundwork and discuss other things openly.

• acsot
    acsot

My brother's gay and he and his partner of 19 years were probably more disturbed by me and my prissy, holier-than-thou JW lifestyle than I could have been by them. He and his companion have been kindness personified all these years, and are both thrilled to death that I finally woke up from my borg-induced sleepwalking; I'm grateful to have them as relatives and I'll probably march in the Gay Pride parade here next year.

If I had kids who were gay, it wouldn't bother me at all, but that could depend on where a person lives, as far as fear for them being the target of discrimination. Here people are very tolerant of "alternative" lifestyles and the Gay Village is more like Gay City (no, I don't live in San Francisco or the Netherlands ).

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

It wouldn't bother me at all.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit