If Your Child or Friend Told You They Were Gay, Would You Be Disturbed?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• pamkw
    pamkw

I would not care what sex my son't partner is as long as that person treats him well. I have never understood the hatred that people feel toward gay people. I figure love is a hard thing to find, and when you do what difference does it make if that person is the same sex or not.

In fact, when my oldest son first became a teenager I was worried that he had no sex drive at all. I was happy when he finally started showing interest in girls when he turned 19. I would have been happy if it had been a boy, just as long was he actually had some sort of normal sexual feelings like most people do. Of course after he started getting some, he lost all his common sense (he didn't have much to begin with). But that's a guy thing isn't it?

I would never turn anyone in for being gay. In fact the only time I turned someone in was this girl who was studying and everyone made such a big deal about her. She was single and had 3 kids I think. She thought that we were very much alike. I was single with 2 kids. Anyway, the elder's wife who studied with her thought she was so perfect, and recuited people to help her with her kids. No one helped me, I deserved my troubles after all I was babptized when I made my mistakes. This girl was still smoking and coming over to my house. I turned her in for one because I wanted to see her get what was coming to her, and I didn't want to get in trouble because I the elders didn't trust me anyway.

Pam

• jwbot
    jwbot

Why, when people bring up how tolerant they are of gays, they bring up two things: AIDS and how they don't like anyone making out in front of them.

These are pretty much the two biggest sterotypes that are thrown on Gays, that they are more likely to get AIDS (no they are not) and that Gays are forceful of their sexuality on others (it is obvious, heteros have this market cornered).

So much for tolerance.

Sorry if I am militant in my views, but this really bugs me.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Jwbot-

I agree and disagree with you.

First off, gay men are more likely to contract HIV than a non-gay man; but that doesn't mean much. I am a black female, we are the fastest growing group contracting HIV; so it would be just as accurate for me to say that a black woman is more likely to contract HIV than say a white woman or black male. That being the case, I wouldn't be disappointed or disturbed if I had a black female child because I'd be worried about her contracting HIV. Thing is, regardless of your child's sexual orientation, AIDS and a myriad of other things should be a concern of yours. Them not being gay does not alleviate the need to teach them about responsible sexual behavior.

In addition to the "making out in public" thing, I hate when people say that their gay child won't bring them grandchildren. Not only is this selfish, but plenty of gays want kids and have kids. Married people are having less and less children in fact.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't like anyone---straight or gay----making out in front of me. I get too jealous.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Why, when people bring up how tolerant they are of gays, they bring up two things: AIDS and how they don't like anyone making out in front of them.

JWbot,

I just think that saying "but!" are just the last hurdles former prejudiced people experience, when they open their minds. I think it's natural for people to still have doubts about gays, when they've been brainwashed for many years about the "disease" of homosexuality. They always come around if their heart is good. It takes a long time to open a closed mind, and it comes in stages.

and Stacey,

You have some great parents. Good for you.

ash

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have relatives that are gay, and I don't judge them. After all, I like girls very much so when my sister told me she liked girls too, how could I blame her?

As far as friends being gay, up to them, not to me. I would not stop being their friend.

As far as my kids, I do hope that they will be straight. Will I accept them regardless? Of course.

• jwbot
    jwbot

StinkyPantz: Thanks for the information. It still bothers me because of the sterotype that gay people have on them. Too many assumptions are made.

Ash: I completely agree with you...these things do take time, it is something I forget occassionally. I have not told my parents about me being bisexual and reading comments from here make me really afraid of their reaction. So, I decided pretty much from reading this thread that now is not the right time, maybe later.

Minimus: get yourself a partner and grope in the park! Its that easy! ;) Then people can be envious of you :)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Some people think I'm "disturbed" anyway.

• minimus
    minimus

JWBOT----Might you be in the park a little later?

• jwbot
    jwbot

Minimus: It's to cold and rainy! ;)

-Jess (of the tease class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit