If Your Child or Friend Told You They Were Gay, Would You Be Disturbed?

by minimus 78 Replies latest jw friends

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

My viewpoint on homosexuality has changed allot since leaving the JW's. I used to be extrememly hateful and didn't know any gay people. Now, that I've expanded my social circle by leaps and bounds, I am far more accepting and have several gay friends (and yes, I'm a fag hag). After living in Vegas for two years, those drag queens give you some fabulous make-up tips!!! On a personal note, I'm not sure how I'd feel if my child was gay....

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

As a gay man myself, all I can tell you about my parents (neither of whom were ever JWs) that when I was disfellowshipped and came out of the closet, both of them said exactly the same thing to me:

"I'd rather have a gay son than a Jehovah's Witness son."

Let me take the original question one step further:

If you found out that a family member of close friend is gay, would you consider joining an organization like PFLAG (Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)? http://www.pflag.org/

• jwbot
    jwbot

I would be happy.
    You know why?
    Because it would mean that I was a good parent...it would mean that my kid went against odds, stood up for themselves, showed they were a strong person in coming out...and coming out to their PARENTS of all people, risking dissapointment. It would assure me that my child was being true to him/herself.

• teejay
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka
    It would assure me that my child was being true to him/herself.

True enough.

I think that if I had kids, from a very early age I would talk about homosexuality, and that's it's as natural as the sun rising. That way, if the kid is gay, then there wouldn't be any need to 'come out'. There would always be an open door as to sexuality--I hope that when I do have kids, I keep that pledge to be open and very close to my kids. There would be no need to reassure them of our love, because, to them, there is no difference at all between heterosexual relationships and homosexual ones, besides the obvious bigotry they would experience in their lives.

Of course, if they listen to me on other topics, they'd know how to belt morons right in the kisser if someone is harassing them.

ash

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

To me, people are people, and their sexual orientation doesn't have mean anything one way or another. I have lots of gay friends, and do not see them as my "gay friend", just as my friend. I've never understood why the big deal about someone being gay, it's not like they suddenly grew an extra arm or something. If the act of gay sex itself offends you, well, you don't have to be there for it,do you?

• jwbot
    jwbot

ash: You are very right, I will teach my children the same thing. Being Gay or bisexual is completely natural, not a choice (not that it matters whether its a choice or not). Hopefully, my government (the US) will eventually feel the same way and allow gay marriages.

may: I completely agree. Why exactly would a parent be against it if not for their own hatred towards the group? If the parents does not want to think about the act of sex...well that is normal, I would not want my parents to think about my having sex or what have you.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am going to be totally honest here. Yes, it would bother me, but I would accept it, and would never turn my back on my child. It would make me sad for them because it is not an easy life. And I would be sad at not having grandchildren from that child. (selfish I guess)

I have a niece who is gay, and she and her partner are welcome at all our family gatherings, and we treat them both like very much loved family members, because they are.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Mulan! There is always adoption! ;)

• rocketman
    rocketman

If my child was gay/lesbian, I doubt I'd have any real problem with it. Tell the elders? For what - are they going to un-gay someone? Fat chance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit