The currently missing 'Titan' submarine. What do you think?

by SydBarrett 65 Replies latest jw friends

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

Any opinions are just speculation, but my guess, being morbid, is that there was not a hull breach and implosion (although that would have been the most merciful fate for them), but instead the amateur level of building this thing meant that it lost power and communication and got itself tangled in the Titanic's wreckage or is sitting on the actual seabed with no way to release ballast to resurface. Terrifying.

What's your gut feeling?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Thanks for the post. I can’t figure why no gps or a hundred or so signaling devices so rescue can track in a case like this. How dumb to make such a vessel lacking undefeatable safety features such as emergency communications for tracking . Even if the vessels blows up or something they should have built it with fool proof communication first.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Fish called Wanda Thanks for the post. I can’t figure why no gps or a hundred or so signaling devices so rescue can track in a case like this. How dumb to make such a vessel lacking undefeatable safety features such as emergency communications for tracking . Even if the vessels blows up or something they should have built it with fool proof communication first.

Totally!! Even open water recreational Sea divers carry GPS trackers these days - they're about £450!!!

Further, when the electrics blow they're buggered!! If they at least had some kind of mechanical failsafe, So they could send something up to the surface? If they were somewhere on the surface they would be able to SOS, too.

• Simon
    Simon

I wonder why I'm supposed to care about some morons that risk their lives to get some kicks. It seems like a dangerous affair, with the thing controlled by a crappy $15 game controller!

So I don't give a damn, just as I don't care about the pricks that freeze to death on Everest - you wanted adventure? You got it ... oh, you thought it was going to be a cool anecdote at dinner parties did you? Too bad, so sad.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

With taken adventures to going to the moon,,taking adventures to the Titanic on a submarine & climbing Mt Everest there is an assumed risk.

Going into orbit around the earth,, an assumed risk.

Im sure those undertaking those adventures are aware of those risks.

But with each passing day,,,the worst case scenario may play out. Hope this isnt the case & they're rescued and sent home safe.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"I wonder why I'm supposed to care about some morons that risk their lives to get some kicks. It seems like a dangerous affair, with the thing controlled by a crappy $15 game controller!

So I don't give a damn, just as I don't care about the pricks that freeze to death on Everest - you wanted adventure? You got it ... oh, you thought it was going to be a cool anecdote at dinner parties did you? Too bad, so sad."

Im not telling you to shed tears. I read both "into the wild" and "into thin air" by John Krakauer, and I thought both the amateur party that attempted Everest and the lone guy who went into the Alaskan wilderness with minimal supplies were morons. I can hold that they are morons while also being interested in the gory details.

I just wonder if these particular morons were crushed in a fraction of an instant or if they are sitting at the bottom of the ocean in pitch dark with the hull creaking as we speak.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"With taken adventures to going to the moon,,taking adventures to the Titanic on a submarine & climbing Mt Everest there is an assumed risk.

Going into orbit around the earth,, an assumed risk."

Not exactly the same, though. Climbing Everest these days you pass the the frozen corpses of people still in gear who died trying to do the same pointless thing thats already been done.

Story Musgrave taking a risk as part of his profession to spacewalk and fix the Hubble Telescope is not the same as a bored fat multi-millionaire hiring some sherpa's to guide him to the top of Everest and getting everyone killed.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Thanks for the post. I can’t figure why no gps or a hundred or so signaling devices so rescue can track in a case like this. How dumb to make such a vessel lacking undefeatable safety features such as emergency communications for tracking . Even if the vessels blows up or something they should have built it with fool proof communication first."

I don't see that communication matters so much. Its more about how such vessels need to have multiple redundant features.

I don't understand how they are gonna have a hard time finding it once they round up one of the few vessels capable of going that deep. It goes down. Directly down. 2 miles. It's gonna be in the vicinity of the Titanic. It's not gonna be off the coast of Australia.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Assumed risk.

We're talking extreme risks. Like going 3km or so down in the Atlantic

Or 6km up Mt Everest.

Anybody doing this,,,well Im just at a loss for words....like seeing corpses along the way

Must be traumatic

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SYDBARRETT:

This is very sad and unless by some miracle they are rescued - then the Titanic will have more victims.

Stupid ventures like this should be made illegal. You couldn’t pay me enough money to get into a claustrophobic contraption and go into some death zone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit