The currently missing 'Titan' submarine. What do you think?

by SydBarrett 65 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Geeez Simon! They’re not even confirmed dead yet for heaven sake, and you’re already saying what most of us are thinking.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Stupid ventures like this should be made illegal. You couldn’t pay me enough money to get into a claustrophobic contraption and go into some death zone!

You worry too much. What could possibly go wrong. No rocket science needed although the engineers consulted NASA and designed and constructed the vessel with the help of the university. The ship is solid. If there is a problem it floats by itself to the surface. Very simple dive. Nothing to it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There is no GPS as there is a thick layer of water on top of them. The signals from GPS on the surface are already very weak, they don’t penetrate even a few meters down in the water. Same problem with radio, you need some very special radio at specific frequencies to communicate that deep, a regular cell phone signal can’t go very far on land (relatively), water is a great absorber of radio waves.

If they weren’t tethered and have no special purpose communication device, they are effectively lost, 3km deep even if you find the relatively small capsule and they somehow haven’t drifted off for hundreds of miles, there are currently very few things you can do that could bring them up that wouldn’t instantly kill the occupants. The CIA (actually Howard Hughes, the Elon Musk of the era) once custom built an entire ship to recover a single Soviet sub that was at roughly the same depth, they knew exactly where it was located and it still took over a month once they got on site and they still didn’t recover everything (exact details remain classified, but if I recall correctly, the majority of sections of the sub broke off and sank again in the process)

This is a salvage mission, nothing more, nothing less, there was no backup plan for these people, no dedicated rescue sub, not even a locator beacon, maybe if they are able to make some noise then a sonar can pick it up.

If not dead yet, they will be dead soon, at best we can put a camera down and watch them die. If they had the ability to surface, they would’ve done so by now and been able to call for help. If they do somehow have the ability to attach a crane or something, even that would be very complicated, you can’t descend a human, even in a diving bell, the pressure is too high, you’d need special constructed diving bell/sub with robot arms to get there as the deepest scuba dive ever recorded was only 300m, not 3000m, get down there, attach them and then dislodge and hoist the thing up without compromising the structure. Perhaps possible, but not in whatever time they have left.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

Unless of course, they commandeered the sub and sailed off with it to places unknown.

Eventually they would have to surface somewhere with a team of people to open the hatch for them.

But since they haven't surfaced somewhere that would be noticed I supposed they are on the bottom wishing they had gone somewhere else for a thrill.

Sadly, time is quickly running out. Even if they find them the time to rig some manner of lifting them safely makes a rescue impossible. This is recovery,,, if they find it at all.

No GPS. What about sonar?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Lee: yes, if they had a loud enough speaker of any sort they could be heard, you still need to then triangulate that signal. The ocean currents make that relatively difficult as they carry and shift the audible signals with them. From everything I read, this sub was done ‘on the cheap’ and didn’t have much of a plan for emergency and disaster.

If you mean to locate them by sonar, a lot of that information is classified, but I don’t think even a powerful sonar can reach those depths from a surface ship. You would need to lower a sonar to a few 100m and then be able to distinguish the object from the surroundings (which could be problematic if it has sunk into the sand or gotten tangled with something).

But that would also require they have power on board to power that sort of device and/or alternatively they could use that power budget to have a low frequency radio. Even airplane ‘black boxes’ that are specifically designed for the purpose of recovery cannot be easily located and especially not recovered beyond a certain depth.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Today at the company I work for we sacked a chronically late, lazy and good for nothing employee who was always sick on Mondays and had a ready excuse for poor performance. He took advantage of the remote working arrangement and used it to sleep in and run errands. His termination was a part of an overall trimming, meaning his performance wasn’t the primary reason for being let go.

Though others expressed their sympathies, I must confess that I have none. He should have been fired for cause years ago. He should be thanking us for dragging him along and keeping him paid whilst others did his work for him.

Then I saw news of the Titanic submersible. Though I am more sympathetic to them (I don’t want them to lose their lives), I take much the same viewpoint as I do towards the sacked employee. He played with fire. He got burnt. I warned him about losing his job. I warned the people above me. He still kept at his poor behaviour and performance.

These people were warned of the danger. They had to sign waivers and release of liability, including an acknowledgement that they were in an experimental vehicle(!!!). I hope they find them in time, but please spare me the inevitable media stories that will come out should they not make it about how wonderful they were. They did something incredibly dumb and risky and they lost their lives for it. All because they wanted to see a disaster site where many hundreds had already perished years ago. You can spare me the made for TV movie too. Not interested.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Maybe it never left and this is some hoax or scam and they all are watching this on TV.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Just more casulties of wokeness. The CEO wanted to be "inspirational" and "50 year old white guys" aren't so he didn't hire them.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/titanic-submersible-woke-hiring/

LRG

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What do I think?

It's a tragedy.

There's a lot of noise surrounding it and I kind of get it but at the same time I kind of don't.

The occupants of the sub are people after all.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Also, the inside passenger capacity is also in question:

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/20/1183273102/titan-missing-sub-titanic-rescue-oceangate

Not only the number of people, but the amount of food and beverages ("sandwiches and water") plus the very small restroom facilities are not conducive for even the short-term ("6 to 8-hour tour") ride to the R.M.S. I betcha this whole arrangement in very close quarters adds to the full uncomfortability in addition to the very little oxygen (which is now harder to maintain) they have to use within this extremely dire situation! 😖😫

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit