The currently missing 'Titan' submarine. What do you think?

by SydBarrett 65 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

rich folk doing a trip to see titanic . Not so rich climbing high mountains.

---or jumping out of aircraft

---or playing violent contact sports ( rugby, football etc ).

All just pointless selfish injurious games.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Wasn`t the submersible still in the experimental stage ? It all seems so amatuerish and not professional at all.

I don`t wish harm to anybody ,but this does seem so foolhardy.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Hope this isn't true.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I can't understand why some sort of safety gear has not been deployed whether a buoy released, some sort of radio beacon? Who knows? The news this morning is that the classic knocking on the hull has been heard. I don't know what is worse, being down there running out of oxygen with hope of rescue or the sudden end.

I can't imagine what it will be like down there just waiting.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I can't imagine what it will be like down there just waiting.

I don't suppose they have coffee machines and flushing loos in a craft such as that!

George

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The sub has some tipe of toilet behind a curtain but the passengers are encouraged to restrict food and liquid intake before the dive to minimise use of the facilities. There are no seats, the occupants just sit on the floor.

There is no escape hatch. The support crew seal the hatch and bolt it down using 17 bolts.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It looks bad.

The people on board the sub are in very serious trouble.

They'll probably run out of air and die, barring some kind of miracle rescue.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I'll be surprised if they are rescued safely.

The whole idea of extreme-risk tourism is just a bad idea. To start a business to offer to take people two miles under the ocean or far out into space is really poor judgment. They are unforgiving environments. Maybe they said the same thing 100 years ago about giving aircraft rides. Eventually the technology might catch up and it would be routinely safe, but it isn't there yet.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Risk is one thing (and I don't think you could pay me enough to get into a "commercial" submarine for a tour a couple of miles below the surface). If they cut corners, the risk could go from a tiny possibility to an almost guaranteed disaster. I wonder, if you told the people paying such large dollar amounts that they might not be able to track the sub if it got lost, would they have stepped aboard?

I don't know anything about deep-sea diving or the capabilities of tracking technology two miles down, but if you told me "you've got around 40 hours of oxygen, and also if you get lost we probably can't find you" I'd have asked for my money back on the spot.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

It's almost as if these people have a FASCINATION with those things/places (Titanic, Everest, Outer Space, etc.) and would like to "be in the thick" of it. So, they have used their resources (money, connections, time, etc.) to make their endeavors---probably not thinking about the risks to life and/or limb! 😖

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit