Who is your favorite author?

by Happythoughts 77 Replies latest watchtower bible

• crownboy
    crownboy

Geez, I almost feel out of place in stating that I don't find Rand's ideas all that great . It's good writing and there are many good points, but Immanuel Kant happens to be one of my favourite philosophers, and her books do a terrible job on describing him (the two actually would actually agree on much, though he's essentially the great satan in Objectivist literature I've read).

As far as a favourite author, I read pretty widely and I really don't have a "favourite", but for history buffs I would recommend reading John Adams by David McCullough (one of the recent books I read). It gives great insights and information into the life of a usually overlooked Founding Father.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I really stopped reading novels 10 years ago and only read "factual" material now. Though I have, about 3 years ago, read Larry McMurtry's "Comanche Moon" and "Streets of Laredo", both of which were great westerns. Arthur Koestlers "Sleepwalkers" (about Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo) is about the best "factual" book Ive read in the past 5 years.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Gently Feral, if you couldn't make it through "Children of Dune" you never would have made it through "God Emperor of Dune", the next in the series. My head is still reeling from it..LOL! It's worth a retry though. I've found that some books are more palatable at differant points of my life. I had a rough go of "Crime and Punishment" in my early twenties but just reread and thoroughly enjoyed it a few months ago. Please do read David Sedaris. He's at least as funny as Dave Barry if not funnier.

~Aztec

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    It seems to me that Dean Koontz is a winner; do you have a book recommendation?

I think my favorite Koontz novel was From The Corner of His Eye. It was just wonderful. By the Light of the Moon was very well written, and a captivating read, but I found the resolution somewhat disappointing. I have by no means read all, or even most of his novels, so there may be other excellent ones.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Oscar Wilde and George Orwell.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

My fav's are George R.R. Martin(High Fantasy), Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Tad Williams and Terry Brooks. I really enjoy reading Fantasy novels. I am a bit picky though.There has to be a high level of detail in the books to keep my interest.

Wolfy

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Isaac Asimov. I had read his Foundation series several times and love the psychohistory perspective

I rarely read fiction. Mostly I stick to true stories and work related reading.

I did read Lord of the Rings after I saw the first movie.

I think I really ODed on books when I left the borg. I was going to school and doing recovery reading.

Lately most of my reading is on web design and business

Man I need a fantasy life lol

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Aztec,

I was indeed refering to her "Sleeping Beauty"

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

Toni Morrison I love her Paradise

• freedom96
    freedom96

Mario Puzo