Material such as the film at the end of this years convention confirms that I was right to take my kids out the religion

by jambon1 97 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

It’s quite affirming to see the horrific material that they’re serving up at the convention this year. Aside from blatant homophobia, the scenes at the end of the convention that are discussed on another thread stoop to new levels of fear mongering.

It seems to occur to nobody inside the organisation that this kind of material could trigger fear, deprsssion, anxiety, stress.

When attempting to get my kids out of the religion due to exactly stuff like this I was told that the material is harmless. That it doesn’t play on kids minds or foster feelings of fear and confusion. I was told to relax. It was all ok.

Well, it’s gratifying to see some ten years on just how low Watchtower will stoop in the promotion of fear tactics. On top of the bunker videos of 2016 this latest video makes the old inappropriate images in the ‘bible story book’ that I objected to look like playschool.

In recent years I don’t think Watchtower could’ve done any more to justify my decision to fight tooth and nail to get my kids free from it.

So, I’m happy to say a big ‘fuck you’ to anyone who played down their fear mongering and a very happy ‘fuck you’ to a religion which now has no jurisdiction over any of my kids.

To those with kids still in I’d appeal to you to get them out. You can play all this down or believe it’ll not have any effect. It will. Read other forums, Twitter etc. People are experiencing anxiety disorders and other mental health issues because of their repeated adverse childhood experiences being part of this religion.

Get them out while you still can.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is there a link to this film?

• jambon1
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks.

At first I thought it was just an assortment of images of people looking earnestly into space, contemplating the resurrection or paradise, or some such.

Then people with guns appeared and they were surrounded. What the hell was that all about? It looked scary realistic. Amazing to think that someone came up with this idea, the Governing Body presumably approved it, the actors and film producers carried it to completion, and ordinary JWs will watch it as if nothing wrong. Well some of them at least.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Not quite twenty years ago, there was a big stir when my father welded two pieces of steel together to make a pendant in the shape of a cross for a part he played in the meeting, acting like a priest. Everyone was so offended because he had the nerve to make an idol, even for illustration purposes. Now with these Touchstone Pictures-esque productions, there are machine guns being toted by the actor brothers as casually as briefcases on a Saturday morning. Clearly, my old man was way ahead of Jehovah's digital chariot.

As I once asked him last year: "Dad... be honest. Is this the same religion you remember from years ago?"

He paused while looking straight ahead. Finally, he said it. "No."

@stcukinarut2 Described the situation best by saying my father had been cooked like the frog in a pot of water. Slowly and slowly, the temperature got turned up. And now, it's too late to leap out of this cult which is so clearly bubbling over with scalding nonsense.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes it’s also why JWs have such poor retention, because young adults often leave church for a few years and come back in middle age. But JWs who leave at 20, come back at 30 only to find 1) their former congregation gone/merged/ moved 2) songs totally changed 3) no print material any more 4) wacky bunker and terrorist videos and 5) the governing body everywhere telling them to obey odd instructions or die. So they turn around and straight back out the door.

I think the bunker video, and now this terrorist video, are good evidence of the organisation in collapse. It gives an insight into the mentality of those in charge. They are totally overwhelmed by scandals and financial problems. They now feel surrounded with no way out apart from angelic intervention.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Don't those fools ever think, despite their polished productions, that they were WRONG about 1914 and the generation who saw it, with the millions, not dying.

So any God who would punish people for leaving, or not joining, a religion so blatantly wrong would be insane, not just evil.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

But they don’t admit they were wrong about 1914, or even the generation, do they? What truly goes through their mind, I don’t know. At a local level, I think JWs just focus on the stuff that convinces them (the truth about paradise, how bad the world is, the brotherhood, or whatever) and just try not to think too much about the generation fiasco, or even 1914 these days.

I have never heard anyone go out of their way to defend, or even talk about the overlapping generation. It’s an embarrassment, and everyone knows it.

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks, jambon,

It’s good to know what we’re up against. I couldn’t understand the audio- but that wasn’t what this was about. Imagery was incredibly powerful. For a change the WT understated instead of sledgehammered until the end when raw Armageddon narrative opened in the brilliant heavens.

I admit that this film might have shattered me at a certain point when I was leaving. Seeing these actors play out moments that trigger memory of hard choices-hard struggles-you made to get to a meeting to go out ministry. (And now l don’t?—omg- am l a faithless coward?)

I had to quickly go through my mental file of how certain CERTAIN I am that this religion is distructive of our free will and destroys love and life when it can.

I realign myself. l recognize the men masked with the balaclavas and menacing with guns —they are the Governing Body. They are the dark ones who subverted, who harassed these people, who skinned and abused these people.

If there if there is a moment when the forces of Good come to save the Great Crowd, the surprise will come when the masks get pulled from those guys—the creeps are the GB & Co.

O come Lord Jesus!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Brilliant thread!

Thanks for starting it. It really is disturbing to see how bat shit crazy this religion has become. The epitome of paranoia and FOG (fear obligation guilt)

(And thanks @wakeme for the mention)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit