Material such as the film at the end of this years convention confirms that I was right to take my kids out the religion

by jambon1 97 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Jammy - It seems to occur to nobody inside the organisation that this kind of material could trigger fear, depression, anxiety, stress.

The only thing the cult leaders care about is their rock star lifestyle.

May the fleas of a thousand camels bite their genitals for the rest of their miserable lives.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

How can they say it won't foster fear and confusion in a child? That's insane.

As a child I was traumatized by the little girl falling through the opening in the ground in the Paradise book!

How much more so will these kind of films frighten a child??

The WT certainly wouldn't approve of you taking a child to a horror movie yet it's perfectly okay to show kids WT videos that are terrifying...even to adults.

They use fear to keep people under control. It's all about frightening witnesses half to death to keep them in line.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Many are absolutely phobic. You're correct in that it's not the teaching to be phobic, but it results in such. I knew people that wouldn't clean for gay couples, people that talked about us because we did, and my dad's last conversation with me was him screaming at me for "loving the gays" because he had pent up anger at me for a conversation years earlier where I defended them. Again, the admonition may not be to become phobic, but in my view it created a huge culture of homophobia. I knew so many people that were just that. I've read many experiences that expressed the same. So much anxiety, and frankly disgust for, people's sexuality and who they were, especially if they didn't fit the definitions of masculine and feminine espoused in the publications.

I think it's interesting to compare the doctrine to the culture that it produces in most in the cult. There was so much drama around sexuality.

Just like this video, how at face value they're telling you not to worry, Jesus will ride in to save you, but the emotion of the video is one of intensity, fear, anxiety. They know what they produce, and are so good they don't have to say it directly, which is all part of the manipulation.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If JWs are not in decline Morph how do you account for census results in Canada and Australia that show decline?

And if JWs aren’t homophonic then who are? It seems you’re not so much disputing JWs are homophobic as disputing the use of the word itself in general.

• carla
    carla

The video sounds horrid, have not looked at yet.

I was always appalled at the sexual talks right in front of the whole cong! everyone there from little kids to grandma's & grandpa's. I always felt they should be charged with exposing minors to inappropriate sexual content. Now this video on top of the regular doom & gloom?! poor kids, it's amazing any of them get out with all their marbles in tact.

If you are still in with your kids please protect your innocent children from this insidious cult.

Yet another thing the general public has no knowledge of, the incredible strength and sorrow so many ex jw's go through when trying to leave and protect their families. If it is a choice of protecting your kids and/or losing your parents the choice has to be clear, save your children from this trauma they call a religion.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Regarding homophobia, i am of the opinion that it is overused and misapplied. Few people meet the clinical definition of “phobic” regarding homosexuality. Im not trying to derail the topic, the video is twisted and culty as culty can be.

I cannot nor will i speak to results of a census as it relates to populations a minor religious group. Theres a dozen reason the census may not capture a population of specific religious group, including people in that group not wanting to self identify to the government (see the video noted in the op as a reason why). Facts are facts. They have grown. Every year for the last 30+ (since the 1975 debacle). Not a lot recently but growth IS growth no matter how hard you try to spin it.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

I know a very PIMI that flatly states that "homophopia" is a totally made up word. So, I guess the actual term would be (bad Greek here) homomiseo, or hatred of homosexuality. Anyway you slice it, gays are not welcome in the city limits of Paradise...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You don’t think self-identification is a more truthful measure than Watchtower reported publishers?

On another thread you insisted morale was not affected by congregation mergers.

On this thread you say morale is so low among JWs that they’re ashmed to identify themselves as JWs. But we should count them as JWs anyway, on the basis of Watchtower publisher numbers, even if they don’t count themselves as JWs.

In reality census returns are some of the most detailed and reliable statistics on religion and make comparisons across religious groups possible.

The fact that JWs have been declining in Canada and Australia, in contrast to publishers, raises questions about the accuracy and usefulness of Watchtower statistics.

One internal figure they can’t easily fudge is congregation numbers, and they are coming down in the United States, Germany, Japan and elsewhere.

• Simon
    Simon

There is pressure within the WTS / congregation to report and be counted as a publisher but filling in a census is done in private and independently with no consequences for the answers given.

The fact that the census values are lower suggests that more people secretly view themselves as *not* a JW even thought they may be counted as part of the congregation. The need to keep going in order to keep contact with family is possibly a large part of the cause of the discrepancy.

I trust the census numbers as being more accurate vs the figures that the WTS produces.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I don’t know why people are playing semantics with the term homophobia. As has been said, gay = not welcome in JW language. I’ll stick to calling it homophobia. I’ve witnessed enough JW’s who are fanatically against gays. Sometimes they may be protesting too much, if you know what I mean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit