US anti-abortionist faces execution

by ignored_one 217 Replies latest social current

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

BBC NEWS US anti-abortionist faces execution The first man to face the death penalty in the United States for killing a doctor who performed abortions is to be executed on Wednesday.

Paul Hill, 49, is due to die by lethal injection in northern Florida, following his conviction of the murder of two people outside an abortion clinic in 1994.

There are fears that his execution may lead to a backlash from anti-abortion campaigners against doctors and clinics.

The planned execution has been criticised by an unusual alliance of anti-abortion Christian protesters and anti-death penalty activists.

However Florida Governor Jeb Bush, a Republican who is also the brother of US President Gorge W Bush, appears unlikely to commute the death sentence to life imprisonment.

I believe the state, by executing me, will be making me a martyr
    Paul Hill "The fact is that he is a murderer," he said.

"He has not asked for appeals and on 3 September, I guess he will be executed."

Hill - a father of three and former Presbyterian minister - has said he would kill again to save the unborn and is looking forward to dying for his cause.

"I believe the state, by executing me, will be making me a martyr," he told a news conference on Wednesday.

Violent tactics

Abortion clinics in Florida have been placed on high alert after extreme anti-abortion activists warned of imminent attacks and several officials received death threats.

However mainstream pro-life groups have distanced themselves from violent tactics.

Anti-death penalty activists, for their part, are urging the Florida governor to "stop the martyrdom of Paul Hill".

"Please commute Paul Hill's death sentence to life in prison without possibility of parole, because killing Paul Hill will actually encourage more murder," a group called Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty wrote in an open letter to Jeb Bush.

Hill has been convicted murdering Doctor John Britton and his driver James Barrett outside the Ladies Center in Pensacola, Florida, in 1994.

Hill gave himself up to police, saying that he had carried out the killings to prevent innocent babies being killed.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3077040.stm

Published: 2003/09/03 09:23:54 GMT

© BBC MMIII - Ignored One

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yep, he was anti-abortion...but he wasn't pro life. Which is what the majority of us who oppose abortion are. This guy in no way represents the overwhelming vast majority of us who hold the life of babies as sacred. I've never understood the pro-babymurder point of view.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Paul Hill is an arrogant sob. I saw him on Donahue a few years before he went and killed these 2 men. He said it was OK for a person to kill if he was an abortion doctor or abortion provider. Then I see him on TV being arrested for the murders. He basically announced his intentions on national TV. What a turd.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Tres,

Agreed. He's a totally worthless piece of $hit.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I have no problems with a murderer getting excuted. I am also pro life but this man didn't represent me.

The issue is one that can be pretty clouded at times. I have a friend who got an abortion when she was 16. She still isn't ready to be a parent. Her aunt was willing to raise the child for her but my friend and her parents didn't consider that as an option. So she used abortion as birth control. I favor abortion for medical reasons. Maybe I'll change my mind someday but that's how I think now.

• Angharad
    Angharad

I can't understand how he can justify murder. I was watching the news at lunch and they showed him, he is completely arrogant and proud of himself and what he did. Total nutter and completely deluded

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Stick him and kick him!

CZAR

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Stacy,

Cute picture..is it really you?

Yeppers, abortion as birth control is the norm...and sickening. I won't argue with someone whose life is threatened by a pregnancy...and I'll go further than most pro-lifers and say I can understand it where rape is involved...but the average abortion is performed for birth control...it shows irresponsibility and immaturity.

• core
    core
    I can't understand how he can justify murder. I was watching the news at lunch and they showed him, he is completely arrogant and proud of himself and what he did. Total nutter and completely deluded

....only in America - are they all mad or just most of them? ( excepting any Americans who post here of course!)

• avishai
    avishai
    "I believe the state, by executing me, will be making me a martyr,"

Good!!! Then crucify the bastard on TV & let him die slow, like maybe over a two day period. Do the same with terrorists & gang members that use things like rape for an initiation. Make it pay per view or something, then see how many people want to pull this crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit