It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars

by Newly Enlightened 11530 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JeffT
    JeffT

Lloyd and followers, here is some advice from a professional writer: asking people to pay you to include their stories in your book screams amateur. The way it works in the real world is the author pays other people to include their stories in a his work of non-fiction. It is payment for the copyright to include their story.

I don't think your scamming people, I do think you're taking advantage of people that don't know any better. You should take some classes on the profession of writing, you might learn how to do it right.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Franco Taze Rocco is a joke. He's constantly tweeting hate at the Ottawa Police and playing the tough guy online for Lloyd, making threats. He's using a pic of a muscular German Instagram model named Dan Juergen as his Twitter profile pic to intimidate people.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

FYI - The indiegogo campaigns on his books are still accessible online. TRA crowdfunded $20,149.

The Reluctant Apostate | Indiegogo

"How to Escape Jehovah's Witnesses" pulled in $5311.

How To Escape From Jehovah's Witnesses | Indiegogo

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

He sells his book for £25 which obviously more than covers costs, so what was the $20,000 “campaign” fund money even for?

• Simon
    Simon
    so what was the $20,000 “campaign” fund money even for?

To make even more money!

Think like Lloyd ... no shame, no morals, it's all a business and he wants to maximize his profits.

If he can take money off people, he will, whether the project really requires it or not, and whether they have less them him or not. There's always vacations and other things he can spend it on.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

It's like an advance, if you were working with a publisher. The difference being that the investors don't recoup this advance; they are doing it specifically to support the author. I like the concept, it helps creators get around the gates put up by publishers and industries to maintain control of a product they don't actually create.

It's not well regulated, so people need to be smart and cautious when deciding where to spend money. Evans actually published the books, so I assume his backers are satisfied. Whether they're comfortable with backing him after finding out what he's really like... I don't know. I assume a few of them wish they could take it back. As Nancy Pelosi would've said, they needed to read the book to know what was in it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

His book was self published and there was no barrier to entry. These days everything is print on demand, so you don’t even need an initial print run. If I recall, he claimed he needed the money to print the books but there’s no need to print many copies of any book in advance. Plus when the books were printed he charged full price for them, and then some. So what was the $20,000 for? As Simon says, it was purely money for himself to keep. There was no other reason for it.

• Vintage
    Vintage

Thanks, JeffT for this info:

“The way it works in the real world is the author pays other people to include their stories in a his work of non-fiction. It is payment for the copyright to include their story.”
  • LV101
    LV101

Too much to catch up on but Dr. Sohom Das/Andrew Gold video is good - thx for link.

• JeffT
    JeffT

SBF is right, there is no barrier to publication. I have five novels on Amazon, none of which cost a penny to get there. My time is a different matter, but it was, and still is, essentially a hobby that I enjoy. Making a little money on it is a perk.

If Lloyd thought he was going to pull in enough to live a lavish lifestyle it is one more example of amateur status. That can happen if you're Stephen King or John Grisham, not so much for the rest of us. The truth is, books about JW's won't sell many copies for the simple reason that most people don't care.

Nobody in their right mind will shell out serious time and money to read an 800 page book by a guy they've never heard of, about a religion they don't care about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit