It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars

by Newly Enlightened 11530 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon
    Now that Leah Remini files a lawsuit against the Scientology church

Yeah, good luck with that.

We've been watching "How to Become a Cult Leader" on Netflix and it's interesting. One thing that I keep thinking is "how could you legislate against this?". Because you can legislate against actual abuses, that break laws, but you can't legislate belief.

So lawsuits that boil down to "someone told us we were super beings from another planet and we believed them" seem like they should be doomed to fail. No one can or protect you from believing a dumb belief, that is entirely on you and your parents.

• DerekMoors
    DerekMoors

I don't get Remini's lawsuit. She says Scientology detectives followed her around for awhile and have bots on social media saying bad things about her. She's a celebrity, don't tabloids do the same? And who TF cares about a few bots on social media?

She says they interfered with her ability to get employment. ??? Hollywood gave her 3 years to talk about nothing but Scientology, she got an Emmy for the show. Granted she hasn't done much since but she's an aging actress who still looks good but doesn't have a helluva lot of range. She's no Kate Winslet or Streep, so she's really sure that Scientology is the reason she can't get much work these days?

I'm willing to keep an open mind but I'd really like to see the basis of what she's alleging.

• KIMSILVIO
    KIMSILVIO
    There's a certain irony that people fooled once by a cult are still not discerning enough to see that someone else just wants to use them and their platform.

I have often wondered if Lloyd’s methods are deliberate or by habit because he was raised in a cult. If you study his behaviour it is so easy to see the similarities between him and WT. And no judgement to anyone that was fooled by Lloyd. I was one of them and think that engaging with “fresh out” people makes it easy for him as we are vulnerable 🤷‍♀️

• Simon
    Simon
    She says they interfered with her ability to get employment. ??? Hollywood gave her 3 years to talk about nothing but Scientology, she got an Emmy for the show. Granted she hasn't done much since but she's an aging actress who still looks good but doesn't have a helluva lot of range. She's no Kate Winslet or Streep, so she's really sure that Scientology is the reason she can't get much work these days?

I'm not aware of ever seeing anything she's been in. I wouldn't be surprised if the Scientologist argument was that she was only 'famous' in the first place because of them (was she famous? She seems like one of these people who are, well, "famous for being famous", and on TV but you can't remember why).

Maybe I just watch the wrong shows ...

• ForeverAlone
    ForeverAlone
    I'm not aware of ever seeing anything she's been in.

Leah Remini is a fairly diverse actress. She has been on 49 shows and on game shows as a host according to her IMDb profile. Her longest running show was "The King of Queens" with 206 episodes under her belt.

Here is her profile with all her roles: Leah Remini - IMDb

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    I don't get Remini's lawsuit.

Me neither. Scientology might be a much derided religion with only tens of thousands members worldwide, but they do have a lot of money and are notorious for their lawsuits and legal harassment. Someone like Remini trying to take them down is going to get their best counter punch. As I understand, one of her arguments is about “freeing” Shelly Miscavige. The LAPD already conducted a welfare check and she told them she wasn’t being held hostage and did not want to leave with the police. Sure, she probably would rather be somewhere else physically, but it seems to be clear she does not want to exit the religion.

Sounds like it is a publicity ploy for Remini and the basis for a documentary or a television special.

I'm not aware of ever seeing anything she's been in

Her biggest claim to fame is being one of the stars of the serial “King of Queens” where she played the wise-cracking wife with a New York accent. She’s been typecast as the stereotypical New Yorker with an attitude. They tried reuniting her with Kevin James - the male lead in KOQ in a similar show - Kevin Can Wait, but it was cancelled after two seasons.

So despite what she claims, it seems she can get acting gigs. But they are of the same calibre of what she has already done. It also doesn’t help that she did the Scientology serial and is now typecast as the “Scientology lady”.

No disrespect to Remini, being on a show for 9 seasons is no joke, but she’s quickly falling into the trap Lloyd has found himself in. From here on out she’s going to struggle to get roles not due to Scientology, but the fact that she has placed herself at the centre of the anti-Scientology movement.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

LMsA: I think Kim should be given first crack at interpreting what is found and that it is shared amongst the names “defendants” before being released.

That's a good idea. It would be awesome if they all put out videos discussing the case once they had a translated copy. Especially if the case has been closed or dismissed.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill
    “freeing” Shelly Miscavige. The LAPD already conducted a welfare check and she told them she wasn’t being held hostage

A simple web search will reveal plenty of claims of corrupt links between Scientology and LAPD.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    It would be awesome if they all put out videos discussing the case once they had a translated copy. Especially if the case has been closed or dismissed.
    Agreed Lloyd wants this thing to go away now that he has lost, he wants everyone to forget about it and still believe he is the type to bring people to court so they should be afraid of him.
    Now he has lost all credibility and made a mockery of himself (again)
    no one will ever take his threats seriously ever again, this is how he has tried to control people and the narrative.
    he is a laughingstock and has been totally humiliated
  • Toblerone5
    Toblerone5

Classic L.E.... I'm surprise he didn't used the: it is triggering and hurtful it is to have these tweets pinging away when I’m on a family holiday. Oh right that's just for the EX-JW community. That was yesterday by the way... (the tweet showed a video about a doctor talking about the covid vaccin, that's why Lloyd made first quote...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit