I'm now turned off by this site

by purrpurr 103 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@enigma:

It’s all garbage. Go back to science and reasoning..

The thing that we call the "culture war" is a philosophical divide. The "leftist" side is steeped in postmodernism, and is pushing the most incredible anti-scientific ideas you can think of.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"classic Hegelian dialectic."

I'm scratching my head a bit at the bizarre mental hoops you're jumping through to link Hegel and this thread topic. I'm pretty sure you just got a kick out of getting a chance to use "Hegelian" in a sentence.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I'm not turned off from this site as much as the Reddit site.

There are just too many kids on there complaining about the meetings. They are the ones that need to be at the meetings.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    I'm scratching my head a bit at the bizarre mental hoops you're jumping through to link Hegel and this thread topic. I'm pretty sure you just got a kick out of getting a chance to use "Hegelian" in a sentence.

Ok. Here. There is a history to the current woke bs. It's not just kids and social media.

https://youtu.be/xbby7yFrIxM

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    I'm not turned off from this site as much as the Reddit site.
    There are just too many kids on there complaining about the meetings...

I completely agree. The Reddit site is a nightmare. There's the occasional genuinely interesting post with a sensible critique of something in WT or a juicy piece of information, but you have to pick through a lot of dross and to find it.

For example, I saw one thread, allegedly by a newly-PIMO elder, complaining about specific issues in his congregation and how he was trying to exit but it looked like it had been written by a 14 year old. Call me a snob, but for me, that instantly reduced the credibility of the writer.

Also, a lot of the questions asked there make me wonder if most of the people there have ever actually paid attention to what they were supposed to be believing. Occasionally we get a question or criticism here from someone that shows they never properly understood what WT teach, but there it seems to be a regular thing. Sure, criticise the theology, but at least try to understand what it is first (I know that can be hard with something like Splane's "overlapping generations", but most of it is a bit more understandable than that!)

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    I saw one thread, allegedly by a newly-PIMO elder............................ but it looked like it had been written by a 14 year old.

So thats where ExBethelitePIMA ran off too.....

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    For example, I saw one thread, allegedly by a newly-PIMO elder, complaining about specific issues in his congregation and how he was trying to exit but it looked like it had been written by a 14 year old. Call me a snob, but for me, that instantly reduced the credibility of the writer.

I don't know. The publications also seem like they were written for fifth graders. I don't see modern elders exposed to anything rigorous. It's all dumbed down (as strage as that might seem to us).

• Riley
    Riley

I worked as a truck driver for about ten years. Mostly under the Obama Presidency. During that time I would listen to the Patriot on Sirius radio. Mostly Michael Savage, Glen Beck, Mark Levine. The biggest troll on the right was really Ann Coultier at the time, who actually seems quite sane now.

I did it parity because I thought of myself as a conservative and parity for entertainment reasons. Hearing people go to absolute pieces for nothing really was funny for me. For the people who assume me of being a progressive lefty, I just laugh because I am really not.

The right wing media is now a race to the bottom. Who can spread the most bullshit and enraged the most people. There is no left wing tricks. It is just lowest common denominator rubbish. When Tucker Carlson get fired from Fox and MTG can get removed from Freedom Caucus , you have a problem.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@Riley:

I don't think those shows characterize the populist right.. not anymore at least. I could never stomach Savage, and Beck used to be a bit over the top. He's moderated the dramatics quite a bit. Mark Levine was alright. I think he's got good ideas re a convention of the states to amend the Constitution. Some of his proposed amendments seem quite reasonable. Repealing the 17th amendment. Term limits for SCOTUS. Gut the Commerce Clause (its not an excuse to regulate everything). I would love an amendment (not sure if it was his suggestion) that would require reading all bills before passing and requiring a pause so Congress can do that - and if the bill is changed at all, the clock resets (no passing unknown bulk bills in the middle of the night).

But as for Fox, Don't watch. Kinda watched clips of Tucker. But that ship has sailed. All legacy media is dead to me.

I only see clips of legacy media here and there when they say something so outrageous, it ends up on podcasts. And even then all they have to do is play the clip and let them hang themselves.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    So thats where ExBethelitePIMA ran off too.....

😂😂🤣Oh Syd you are awful....but I like you!(heaves bosom)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit