Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Any idea of what percentage of the population this applies to? - I have no idea what percentage this applies to.

I'm only going by what I've seen and heard myself, plus what I've read.

The Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe came out as gay a few years ago. He said it wasn't easy coming out. And he also said something like 'when I was at school there was a stigma around being gay, being effeminate'.

The percentage might be low but is still part of traditional masculinity.

Usually, school kids grow out of such juvenile nonsense.

Western society is actually very gay-friendly, relatively speaking.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just to say the obvious: that being a 'manly man' is totally ok. Most men are 'manly'.

A minority of men are 'effeminate men' and this is totally ok, too.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Here is an example of what I consider a manly man at work for The Lord.

https://www.facebook.com/StevenFurtick/videos/1887683261253080/

• unsure
    unsure

Here is my opinion on the article I posted; my opinion and nothing more.

The American Psychological Association (APA) is a credible organization. There must be something to their scientific research and published study.

Has there been a published scientific rebuttal to the APA's study?

And yes we need to put our trust into scientific papers unless we ourselves are scientists and can objectively and scientifically counter published studies or find counter studies published by others. If not what can we put our trust in? The scientific method is the best tool we have to understand our universe. Sure, scientific papers are not infallible but we can't start blanket denying the credibility of scientific papers. Of course we are all entitled to our opinions.

--

You did offer me your opinions on the article as I asked so thanks for that. I will take them into consideration.

• unsure
    unsure

Just wanted to add:

I believe anybody can be "toxic" despite their gender but since the discussion is on males I thought I would share those scientific findings.

• cofty
    cofty
    Any idea of what percentage of the population this applies to? - Snuggleb

1.7% According to the Williams Institute with a similar number identifying as bisexual

• cofty
    cofty
    Has there been a published scientific rebuttal to the APA's study? - unsure

Yes. The vast majority of peer-reviewed studies contradict the paper's foundational position that gender differences in personality traits are social constructs.

I listed some accessible books on the topic earlier.

• unsure
    unsure

@cofty

Thank you.

• birdchirp
    birdchirp

The definition of a "manly man" can vary depending on where you are.

The ad had some good points but can understand why some are upset.

• em1913
    em1913

Tongue is in cheek fellas. Don't get your teeth in a turmoil. I always forget that men treat internet discussions like war games.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit