Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Shaving commercials are now lecturing us as to how bad we really are - I look forward to Gillette putting out a commercial that tells women not to get grumpy during their periods.

Or tells women that using their feminine charms as a step-mum to persuade a father to leave her a fuck-ton of money that was nothing to do with her and was intended to be kept within the family is totally way out of order.

I won't hold my breath because the people at Gillette are total cucks ... wet wankers. XD

• recluse
    recluse
    For instance my wife has a 2nd degree black belt which took her 8 years....I on the other hand........ wimped out in 30 days. I let her walk through the dark ally first

congrats to your wife! that takes a lot of effort. i'm 2-1/2 years in on goju-ryu, with kung fu and kenpo mixed in with some techniques. what style is she?

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

I think the 'manly man thing', in realty, concerns men comparing themselves to other men. Especially when a bunch get together. I remember my dad, grandfather and exes being loud and boisterous when they were with their own kind, but as soon as the ladies came around, all was silent. I don't know of any women who have a list of 'manly men' traits they'd like to see in men. I think tv commercials are undermining the way children and women see men. Commercials usually portray the guy as stupid, incompetent, lazy, and unequipped to deal with any problem, so the wife and kids take over. In tv shows, the man is usually stupid. That's not real life. The 'real men' in commercials have over-developed muscles, are too good-looking and arrogant. It's tv! It's movies! It's not real! The most 'manly' traits are thoughtfulness, caring, generosity, and friendship. Hey! Those are the most 'womanly' traits too! So, what does it all mean? NOTHING! Be glad to be alive and be proud of who you are. :)

• blondie
    blondie

I think it is wrong to characterize human traits by gender. Of course, there are women who sexually harass men and other women. I have had 3 cases during my employment of a female sexually harassing me directly and indirectly (by sexually harassing one of my co-workers constantly in front of me). There is no reason why a man or woman should discredit any other man or woman who finds something offensive or demeaning, or categorize a whole group of people by their gender.

That's how I feel. I don't anyone loses anything of value to be sensitive to other people's feelings.

• Giordano
    Giordano

recluse........ she studied Taekwondo. For those who are interested this is a Korean martial art, characterized by its emphasis on head-height kicks, jumping and spinning kicks, and fast kicking techniques.

In my wife's final exam she had to fend off four Black Belt attackers who had punching shields that they would use to block her in from all sides. She never stopped punching and kicking for the single ten minute round. Took it to them with a variety of kicks and punches none of them were able to pin her.

Back on subject.

As far as above the neck differences I always found that a few select women always had the most Bible Studies.

The Society made a huge mistake in not promoting their most capable sisters into positions that would make a difference.

That's why they can't get anything right.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Or tells women that using their feminine charms as a step-mum to persuade a father to leave her a fuck-ton of money that was nothing to do with her and was intended to be kept within the family is totally way out of order.

Is this who you've been angry with all this time LUHE? Makes sense.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Is this who you've been angry with - well, I'm more angry with my father than with anyone else, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm just simply pointing out that some women behave toxically too but Gillette wouldn't dare put out a commercial telling women to call toxic femininity out ...

• minimus
    minimus

Gio, your wife is literally kick ass.... now finish the dishes. 🙂

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Wow - who cares what a stupid commercial says? Seriously, if you guys are triggered by it I think that's pretty wimpy.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

"Men should be less masculine"

That's not even remotely what the message has been, unless your definition of 'masculine' is mocking other men for being emotional and taking an interest in things that are deemed 'girly' or 'gay,' scolding little boys for the same things, dismissing bullying and sexual harassment in schools with "boys will be boys," objectifying women, gendering jobs and household chores as either men's or women's work, etc.

The message has simply been to stop doing those things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit