Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• treesthroughtheforest
    treesthroughtheforest

Depends what specific manly behaviour is displayed

• scruffmcbuff
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    1.7% According to the Williams Institute with a similar number identifying as bisexual

They sure get a lot of media attention for such a tiny proportion of the population doncha think?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

SB - A squeaky wheel gets the most grease.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I hope that all the complainers about the Gillette commercial are in their dotage. If you're in your 20's to 40's, you're going. to be very unhappy the next few years, as the world moves further into the 21st century, and women and minorities (both racially and sexually) take their place as your true equals, or even superiors

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

you're going. to be very unhappy the next few years, as the world moves further into the 21st century - this could affect you, too.

If you happen to get caught up in some future terrorist attack or are in danger of being a victim of a violent crime, the first thing you'd want is for 'manly men' to turn up and protect you.

How about showing manly men some respect ...

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Considering the odds, I'd be an idiot to worry about such things.

• cofty
    cofty
    women and minorities (both racially and sexually) take their place as your true equals - Spoleta

Did even one single person in this thread say anything about women of any race not being the equal of men? How about trying not to misrepresent the views of people that you disagree with?

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Frankly, I do not believe that a Manly Man is a bad thing at all.

While on the topic of Manly Men, I am wondering how Real Men react to news such as this:

https://theduran.com/ny-governor-defies-god-with-abortion-as-constitutional-right/

For me personally, the thought of killing a baby in the womb at any stage of their development seems truly wicked and evil. Even as a youngster growing up in the '50s I remember how wrong it seemed to me that abortions were a reality. Is it a manly trait to believe that killing an infant is wrong?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A previous poster posited the view that if we were in a situation where we were being attacked by terrorists we may be looking for some 'manly males' to defend us.

Throughout history there are many examples of women fighting in as deadly fashion as men. For example, in Greek mythology, the Amazons (Greek: Ἀμαζόνες, Amazónes, singular Ἀμαζών, Amazōn) were a tribe of women warriors related to Scythians and Sarmatians.

They had a reputation for being brutal and aggressive, and their main concern in life was war.

Another example! It was the custom among the Khitan, (or Qidan as they are known in Chinese, who were a nomadic people originating in eastern Inner Mongolia), for men and their wives to ride into battle together.

In S.E. Asia women were also warriors. * https://www.crcpress.com/Women-Warriors-in-Southeast-Asia/Rettig-Lanzona/p/book/9781138829350 )

And, in many modern nations, women serve in the armed forces

For some Asian States today see: https://thediplomat.com/2013/03/women-warriors-break-down-barriers-across-asia/2/

So why make our cultural norms the only correct cultural view and totally ignore the myriad other cultural norms that can be seen in history.

PS. When I was young and first associating with the JWs, a friend has a bible study with a man, whose wife would bash him with a hammer if he went to meetings.

That (written with a smile) is the sort of person I want near me if I'm attacked by terrorists.

Our western cultural concept of women as weak and defenceless is a distorted view that is not supported by history.

If you want to girls - go get the terrorists!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit