Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Our western cultural concept of women as weak and defenceless is a distorted view that is not supported by history - almost, not quite.

That's actually a misrepresentation. Western society instead views women as physically weaker but mentally more mature/sensible/stronger.

This is actually supported by all available data.

And BTW, if you measure the gender ratio of serving soldiers, throughout history and today, that ratio isn't 1:1 ... I don't know what that ratio is.

10:1? ... 50:1? ... I don't know.

If you want to girls - go get the terrorists!!!! - great, I'm all for it.

And in similar vein: if you want to men - go get terrorists!!!

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

In reply to Cofty, someone in this thread (not Cofty) intimated that if we were in a matriarchy, we'd still be living in mud huts.

Someone's been watching too much Jordan Peterson. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the hierarchy of lobsters yet. I'm to old to join another cult.

• cofty
    cofty
    In reply to Cofty, someone in this thread (not Cofty) intimated that if we were in a matriarchy, we'd still be living in mud huts

That is true but it is also a non sequitur.

You implied that this thread denied that men and women are equals. That is false.

Men and women are equal. Men and women are not the same.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

someone in this thread (not Cofty) intimated that if we were in a matriarchy, we'd still be living in mud huts.

Someone's been watching too much Jordan Peterson - I actually got the mud huts comment from a female professor but I can't remember her name.

How many mod cons, scientific discoveries, etc. where discovered by men? By women?

The gender ratio isn't 1:1.

We have a lot to thank men for, particularly white men.

Men and women are equal. Men and women are not the same - exactly.

Men and women have equal intrinsic value as human beings.

But men and women differ in lots of ways - on height, on muscle mass, on upper body strength, on behaviour, on life balance and career choices ...

• cofty
    cofty
    I actually got the mud huts comment from a female professor but I can't remember her name

Christina Hoff Sommers perhaps?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Christina Hoff Sommers perhaps? - no, it was either Janice Fiamengo or Camille Paglia.

• cofty
    cofty

Did you watch the survival programme with Bear Grylls?

Mud huts would a miracle.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Survival show with Bear Grylls? - no, I didn't.

What was interesting about it?

• blondie
    blondie

Also all men not the same; and all women are not the same.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Also all men not the same; and all women are not the same - true but scientists can go through data sets and find out what the average man and the average woman are like.

And they're not the same in the categories I've mentioned above.

There's a good reason insurance is higher for male teenage drivers than female teenage drivers.

Female drivers tend to be more sensible at that age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit