Is Being a “Manly Man” a Bad Thing?

by minimus 194 Replies latest jw friends

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

@blondie ive been described as gay because of my knowledge and interest in jewelry and watches.

• cofty
    cofty

em - Your ability to totally misrepresent the position of those who disagree with you is astonishing.

• em1913
    em1913

Another thing I find with certain types of men is that they can't tell when a tongue is in a cheek, especially when it's a woman's tongue in a woman's cheek. Funny how it is that so many men think women have no sense of humor. I'm just kind of amused by the discussion, that's all. I wasn't supposed to laugh at the elders at the KH, you know, but I always did.

Jordan-Young questions quite a bit of B-C's methodology, especially his small sample sizes and also the way in which the conclusions he did reach have been taken out of context by the pop-science press and made to seem much more conclusive than they actually are. Some of his results have been, so far, irreproducible, and others have been directly contradicted by the findings of other, larger-scale studies done by researchers in San Francisco and Toronto. That's the gist, but you'll have to read the book for the rest.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

em1913 - would you care then to put Baron Cohen's conclusions in their proper context?

What I know of him, he's a professor up at Cambridge. Some of his earlier theories about autism have been criticised.

His recent paper on gender differences in neonates hasn't been debunked.

Jordan-Young is a professor of Women's and Gender Studies, right? XD

And who are the researchers in San Francisco and Toronto?

• em1913
    em1913

As I said, you'll have to read the book for the rest. It's all laid out in detail there. I'll see you Cambridge and raise you Harvard. (And Dr. J-Y would want me to mention her background in cognitive neurosvcience. XD right back atcha, you kids with your LOLS and your ROFLS and what not.)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

As I said, you'll have to read the book for the rest. It's all laid out in detail there - XD

You don't want to put Baron Cohen's conclusions into proper context ... ok.

I'll see you Cambridge and raise you Harvard - what does she do at Havard?

BTW - she's also Chair of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies at Barnard College.

• unsure
    unsure

@scruffmcbuff said,

"ive been described as gay because of my knowledge and interest in jewelry and watches."

Same here. Although I am heterosexual, I once had an elder use a homophobic slur against me just because I had some jewellery on. It is unfortunate that some still use derogatory, homophobic slurs even after leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Barnard College is a private women's liberal arts college (uni) in Manhattan.

And Rebecca Jordan-Young works there, in the capacity of Chair of Women's, Gender And Sexuality Studies.

I don't think she works at Harvard ...

• em1913
    em1913

She's published by Harvard University Press, kids. That's what I was referring to. Pretty much top of the academic publishing heap here in the US. (BTW, Barnard is one of the "Seven Sisters," the seven most prestigious women's colleges in the US.) And yes, she does have a background in cognitive neuroscience. You can be a professor of (gad) Women's Studies and still have legitimate scientific credentials in other disciplines. That's how academia works. Her CV is here -- https://barnard.edu/profiles/rebecca-jordan-young

And the book in question is here: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674063518&content=reviews. I know, I know, Publisher's Weekly is such a man-hating feminist rag.

Dueling academics is such a classic internet-forum game to play.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting cv she's got there.

I found the following interesting - one point of interest she has is white 'supremacy' ...

• White supremacy (the relentless, usually implicit, presentation of whiteness and Westernness as the biological and cultural norm assumed in biomedical research) – i.e., I am working on bringing structures of racism forward;

Her book was published in 2010.

Her last list published article was in 2015.

So, you'd rather not put Baron Cohen's conclusions into proper context based on a book by an author who is Chair of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies at a women's liberal arts college ... you know what, if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit