What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    How do you know that? And please don't reply with quotes from an old book...I want to know how YOU know what you claim you do

Because our rational soul, responsible to our reasoning, was created directly by God to reflect his image.

And our rational minds hate paradoxes. Every system of thought created by humans tries to avoid paradoxes. So it's a very well established universal trait in human reasoning.

Doesn't matter if someone is trying to make a good or evil system of thought. Paradoxes will be avoided by both sides.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I'm Catholic and Catholicism is ancient. And Catholics wrote the Bible.....John_Mann

Image result for wrong word

WatchTower..

Wrote the Bible!..And....................................Invented Gravy!..And..and....MEAT!!..

Image result for JW.org broadcasting..Image result for gravy

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JM: Because our rational soul, responsible to our reasoning, was created directly by God to reflect his image.
    And our rational minds hate paradoxes. Every system of thought created by humans tries to avoid paradoxes. So it's a very well established universal trait in human reasoning.
    Doesn't matter if someone is trying to make a good or evil system of thought. Paradoxes will be avoided by both sides.

It sounds to me like you are describing a process whereby 'God' has been created in man's image...

And by the way...belief in such a god as you describe requires 'faith', not rationality

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Viviane so anyone who disagrees with you is a nutterball? You and others love to call people crazy just because they have faith and you don't. That's a form of discrimination.

Awww.... look, a religious person being completely dishonest about what I said. Thinking you're nutters because you think people will fall for that nuttery isn't discrimination. It's just good sense.

Our rational soul...we could cure any disease and prevent any accident.

Puuuure Nuuuutttterrryyyy!

Science is a method not books. A book about optics is not about the scientific method.

Look who just revealed pure ignorance of what the book contains!

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    It sounds to me like you are describing a process whereby 'God' has been created in man's image...

Good point, I understand what you mean. And this impression can also be said if someone was describing a statue of you. The description of you and one statue of you could be hard to differentiate.

And by the way...belief in such a god as you describe requires 'faith', not rationality.

To believe universe itself can be understood with human reason requires faith too.

And that's what we do.

There's no warranty or proof of ANY kind I will be alive tomorrow but my plans and my thoughts are made upon faith that I'll be alive in next years.

Faith itself it's not a bad thing, but I agree with you that faith in some premises can be harmful.

The premise of faith is that our rational minds can't be traceable to any animal and our minds can bear the concept of infinity. It's logical to conclude our rational minds came from something higher.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    To believe universe itself can be understood with human reason requires faith too.

That's not how science works.

Speak for yourself, I don't believe that.

There's no warranty or proof of ANY kind I will be alive tomorrow but my plans and my thoughts are made upon faith that I'll be alive in next years.

That's irrelevant to the topic.

The premise of faith is that our rational minds can't be traceable to any animal and our minds can bear the concept of infinity. It's logical to conclude our rational minds came from something higher.

That's nutter vutter. That's not at all what faith is. It's certainly not logic of any kind.

Do you know what logic is?

• cofty
    cofty
    God is both almighty and loving but the human mind is not equipped to understand how this is possible in a world with suffering. - SBF

Then the god of Jesus is a delusion and theism retreats into esoteric bullshit masquerading as sophisticated theology.

• cofty
    cofty
    couldn't this have been a great thread with people discussing what they think reality is and then offering what gives life purpose for them personally

Yes it could but SBF failed to deliver on his OP. He ended up waffling something vague about some Scottish poet. Then he spent a couple of pages criticising a book he has never read.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    That's not at all what faith is. It's certainly not logic of any kind.
    Do you know what logic is?
    Yes, faith is more than reason alone. But faith seeks reason. But some articles of faith cannot be reasoned. For example, I have faith my soul will be saved in my particular Judgement.

Here's some reasoning of mine about the cause of human mind:

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Yes, faith is more than reason alone. But faith seeks reason. But some articles of faith cannot be reasoned. For example, I have faith my soul will be saved in my particular Judgement.

OK, so you don't know what faith is. Got it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit