What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chook
    Chook

• cofty
    cofty
    I think it may have been answered on cofty's thread "The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday" - Ucant

See here, here and here

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

O.P " what is the purpose of life?"

My answer for some " nothing" for others " salvation" and as for me " Iam the purpose of my life"

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Maybe this was the answer

But we all know that words can mean absolutely anything to you SBF. It must be nice living in la-la land.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I`m sorry if I duplicate somebody elses answers here ,I could not go through all those pages tonight,

The OP question ?

What is the purpose of life ? A good , fair enough question !

For starters , who said "Life has to have a purpose" ? Imperfect humans relying on their own limited understanding.of the world and the Cosmos.

It is quite possible , probable even , that life does not have a purpose.

The average "Witness" has no comprehension of the size , scale , vastness , of the Universe ,

Life is just what it is , life , stop trying to find a meaning to it .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have read the three posts quoted. I can't find a response to my question. If there is one a simple statement of it would suffice rather than sending to read lots of old posts looking for an answer that isn't there.

The question is:

What is the logical basis for ruling out the possibility that there may be a solution to the problem of evil that humans either don't or are not able to understand?

There are various aspects of reality that the human mind is not able to grasp. We are not equipped to conceptualise more than three dimensions for example, although we theorise that many more exist. This is surely only the tip of the ice berg in terms of what exists in the universe that we are not able to grasp.

So why should the inability of the human mind to conceive a solution to the problem of evil be proof that no solution exists?

I am interested to know what an atheist response to this is, beyond mere sneering.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Smiddy, your answer was I believe a very similar answer to my last post. However I stopped short of saying " stop trying to find a meaning for it" as I thought of Coftys O.P " The origin of life". From that O.P I realized personally I am not interested in the " origin of life" as I think I would dedicate too much time searching for the answer, and the " purpose of my life" simply doesn't allow that time. However I appreciate for others the "purpose of life" is trying to find answers to such questions.

Can you imagine all the wonderful art that would not exist if the artists purpose in life was to " find the purpose in life" or be social with friends and take his wife out 3 times a week. The artist creates because he/she does not allow such distractions to stop them creating. The artist is an artist and that is the artists purpose in life.

my answer " I am the purpose of my life"

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Cofty

I noticed that you approach the problem of evil with natural disasters. Specially the asian tsunami of 2004.

That's a good point.

But you know is very easy to predict a tsunami and that region is very familiar with this natural problem.

Why there was no warning about that tsunami?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO412C.html

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Beautiful, the positivist tells me I'm dishonest again when she evidently thinks nothing of God and because of that feels in the right to call others crazy.

Well, if you don't want to be told you're being dishonest, don't be dishonest. It's really not that hard.

Viviane you are definitely a positivist because you clearly don't have the ability to think without that preconceived science philosophy.

If you don't want to be called nutters, don't say nutter things like this. Oh, and also, see the note on "dishonest". It also applies here.

That makes sense because despite disagreeing with those who believe in the Lord such as myself, you can't even respect our beliefs even though you think it's wrong.

If you want your beliefs respected, have respectable beliefs. I'm not talking about believing in god.

What's worse is that other users promote that contempt along with you. That is what's truly "nutters". But this is the internet afterall, full of rudeness, so what should I expect? May God be with us all.

Contempt? Rude? You missplelt "Thank you, Viv, for pointing out where I was being dishonest and kind of crazy. I shall fix my errors and move on,"

You're welcome.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Vivianne, I think your posts are always more good than harmful, and I like the fact that you never play cat and mouse before you blow a poster in to a jigsaw puzzle. Yes thankfully we have Viv and her logical answers. Viviane a poster who makes this the real home for people joining an " Ex-Jehovers Witness Discussion forum". However i think we need an added feature where you could take texts and tweets. Now that would be something.

Ummmmm and what does Ummmmm mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit