What is the purpose of life?

by slimboyfat 583 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    The facts prove otherwise.

That summary post of yours referred to above is a brilliant synopsis of why events like the Asian tsunami simply cannot be explained away using typical JW reasoning. I remember reading it at the time and it really struck a chord as I was still trying to completely break the chains of cognitive dissonance. I really don't care if any accuses me of too much Cofty love - that was one of the best posts I ever read on this site.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    And science was created by Christians.
    I just put some jumping poetry to this historical fact.

You're such a liar. Why is it that those claiming to be religious, moral, deeply so, are almost universally the most dishonest people around?

• DJS
    DJS

This stuff can't get any better:

@ John Mann: "We belong to an ancient kind of knowledge. One that have been around since the dawn of consciousness and it will be around until the end of times. We wrote the Bible, Viviane. The most influential book in human history. We are not afraid of any ideology from this world. We created your precious science. Even the language used by science is ours. We use science to achieve our task to name every specie so it must be in our holy language.

We call ourselves Ecclesia. And we know something about you."

I can't make up my mind. Is JM more of a bible writer (THAT certainly explains a lot), a yoda/obi wan (the Force, Luke) or is he just that creepy cop from Fried Green Tomatoes threatening Idgy (Viv)? I vote for the creepy cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rWs4JBCqG8

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I can't make up my mind. Is JM more of a bible writer (THAT certainly explains a lot), a yoda/obi wan (the Force, Luke) or is he just that creepy cop from Fried Green Tomatoes threatening Idgy (Viv)? I vote for the creepy cop.

If you really unpack the nuttery that JM wrote, it's pretty clear what is going on. It's a need have a sense of importance to the world, to know something we don't, to belong, to be special and feared, to get to tell others what to do. Just look at the language he used...

"I belong to an ancient kind of knowledge"

"We wrote the Bible, Viviane"

"We created your precious science"

" But you can't get rid from the thought of what is to die"

"And we know something about you."

" You only have to accept what you already know, what you always knew. "

Seriously, this is like a creepy/comedic mashup of a 15 year old white knight "nice guy" from Facebook cross-posting on Reddit in /r/philosophy using all of the knowledge he learned on /r/Im14AndThisIsDeep and /r/TheRedPill.

It's someone trying to fly the flag of being special without having done any of the work to actually be special in some way. It's a sign of laziness, extreme insecurity and gullibility. I mean, who would fall for a group claiming to be the people that wrote the Bible, invented science, philosophy, language and to know every human's secret knowledge?

Or, maybe he's just really hoping if they accept him, then he will get to go to orgies full of beautiful women that totally really absolutely happen.

• Heaven
    Heaven

And science was created by Christians.

Untrue. Scientists came from ancient Greece. Thales of Miletus, 624 BC to 545 BC is considered to be the very first scientist although he did not leave a written record. Aristotle, 384 BC to 322 BC was also a scientist. Both men lived well before the Christian Era.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Untrue. Scientists came from ancient Greece. Thales of Miletus, 624 BC to 545 BC is considered to be the very first scientist although he did not leave a written record. Aristotle, 384 BC to 322 BC was also a scientist. Both men lived well before the Christian Era.

C'mon, Greeks hated empiricism. They thought only abstract ideas were valid. Experimentation was related to slaves.

Science as we know today was invented in a recent time by Christians.

Aristotle maintained that women have fewer teeth than men; although he was twice married, it never occurred to him to verify this statement by examining his wives' mouths.
  • John_Mann
    John_Mann
    Is JM more of a bible writer.

I was referring to Catholic Church. I'm Catholic and Catholicism is ancient. And Catholics wrote the Bible.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Science as we know today was invented in a recent time by Christians.
    I was referring to Catholic Church. I'm Catholic and Catholicism is ancient. And Catholics wrote the Bible.

Saying the same nuttery over and over doesn't make it true, no matter how much nuttery you write to pretend it's true.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Catholics wrote the Bible?

Maybe Catholics re-wrote the Bible (St Jerome and others) but without a time machine I don't know how you could credit any Catholic with writing any of the Bible.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann
    I agree that it seems impossible for us to reconcile God's almightiness and his goodness in our mind amid a world with so much suffering.

Yes, the problem of evil is the hardest problem to theists. It's the "something ex nihilo" to atheists. Why there's something instead of nothing?

But there's some light about the problem of evil.

The possibility of evil is a requirement for infinite free will. In our minds we can choose anything freely. Even things with hard consequences (like defy gravity by jumping from a building).

God is infinite liberty and infinite good.

If He's good why there's evil?

There's no choice in infinite liberty. Because nobody would freely choose involuntary slavery instead infinite liberty. Doesn't matter if one is good or evil.

But good and evil are choices. God chose to be good. And He created our sense of infinite liberty like His image.

If God had put a barrier to evil, infinite liberty would be damaged.

It's just like an architect designing a balcony in a high building. The goal is to achieve a free view but at the same time someone can jump from there. Jumping is not what's intended but is an intrinsic possibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit