I'm getting baptized

by BlackWolf 150 Replies latest jw friends

• cleanideas
    cleanideas
    I think you're old enough to know your parents only have conditional love for you now anyway. The cult will always come first for them. You will ALWAYS be second. Just like I was to my parents. They were horrible to me the entire time I lived with them growing up, I got baptized and now I'm out of that cult and they shun me. It's stupid drama to deal with, but you get used to it and move on. The way your family sounds now I think you'll be better off without them later on. Only a short time now till you're an adult, hang in there, and then get the hell out when you turn 18. Trust me, the freedom you will have will be totally worth it even if your family shuns you.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    You may have to take the dip to go along to get along. Then make a plan to get educated and get out and get a good life. Play along until your ready and prepared then move away and fade away.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What Bonsai said.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I wonder if you could delay it by saying you want to read the bible first?
  • mommyfirstandalways
    mommyfirstandalways
    Wen I was 8 my mother pressured me to get baptized. Yes, 8!!!! Anyways as I was too young to know what I was doing I failed one question on my baptism questions. The one on what it means to be dedicated. I literally didn't know what it meant. I just sat there perplexed and couldn't think of a legit way to explain it so the elders told my parents I needed to wait. I did wait until I was 9 and my mother made sure I knew all the answers. Please do poorly on the questions, DO NOT GET BAPTIZED!
  • Listener
    Listener

You could try opening up to the Elder that goes through the baptismal questions with you. Tell him that you don't feel quite ready and that you are doing it to please your parents because you are afraid that they might withhold something from you, like driving lessons.

When your dad slaps you on the face again, call the police and have him charged.

You don't need to be abused and if you start getting others in on it things will change.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Jehalapeno nailed it, answer some big questions wrong. Be confused about the Sabbath, maybe bring up the two witness rule and the Royal Commission. It sounds like you are young enough to get away with such doubts. Be concerned about the generation not making sense and how you have a hard time accepting it. Maybe you need more time to study up on it. Maybe ask one of the brothers to study it with you and you could try the questions again next cycle.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Thank you all for your advice. I know you mean well but its too late to go back now, I've already told them I'm going to do it. Honestly sometimes I feel like I have a split personality, jw me and whatever the real me is. I guess the Jehovah's witness in me just took over this time. :frowning: I feel so alone and I just want to be accepted.

There is still time, say you went over the articles again and you really feel like you need to work on your spirituality more before you'll be ready for such a big step. It is never too late, until you actually take the plunge. In a few years you'll be happy to be out and still be able to talk to your family. Stay strong, the desire to please others can be powerful but stay true to yourself.

• Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw

So sad and heartbreaking that JW youth are forced into these decisions.

I feel for you BW,...your decision, your situation, your loneliness. I was15 when I made (forced) the decision to get baptized. At 17 I left it all. All my friends and family shunned me. 24 years later I am still shunned by my mother and siblings.

In hindsight, I would not do it. A few teenage years of hardship are worth it. If you don't get baptized, years down the line, when you have a family, your parents may be able to visit and actually sit down and have a meal with you. Get baptized and leave and you get nothing.

• dbq407
    dbq407
    I hope you don't go thru with it. Hindsight is 20/20 and most everyone here was baptized and wish they could take it back. I would have taken getting kicked out of the house at 14 over getting baptized. And if i'd known TTATT back then i definately wouldn't have gotten baptized. You are in a far better position than most people here when they got baptized, because you already know TTATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit