I'm getting baptized

by BlackWolf 150 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

I know I've started similar topics before but this time I'm serious. My parents have been constantly pressuring me and after yesterday's watchtower study they asked me if I was going to be baptized this summer... and I said yes. I probably should have thought about it more before making a final decision, but they're pretty much forcing me to do it anyway. There's no going back now.

I have no friends and no family to go to if I refused to be baptized and my parents kicked me out. I'm deciding to play it safe for now and maybe when I'm an adult and I move away I can fade. I don't know what else to do? I home school and I've got no friends at all, my immediate family is all I have. I can't afford to get on their bad side or my life will be 10x worse than it already is.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Don't do it
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Obviously, neither you nor your parents got the point of the study. How about going over it again?

If you are on this site, you should NEVER get baptized.

DY

• undercover
    undercover

Don't know much about you, especially your age. But I would advise against it if at all possible.

If you're not baptized then you can never be DFd later. May not seem like a big deal to someone who knows TATT, and vows to leave later anyway, but to your parents it might be the difference between them accepting you as a someone who drifted away, always hoping for a return, as opposed to someone who rebelled and was DFd. You can keep some semblance of family interaction, even if it's overshadowed by JWism.

Again, you might not care now, seeing your parents as the enemy, but believe me, when you're older, even if you're not in agreement about core beliefs, you may very well regret shutting that door.

Maybe you can tell them you need more time to really be sure you're fit to serve at your best, and right now you feel too immature. I mean, Jesus was 30, right?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I hope every answer is the same as mine, DONT DO IT, you have too much to live for.
  • DJS
    DJS

BW,

That would be a mistake, possibly the worst mistake of your young life and one you will likely regret making for the rest of your life. Baptism into the cult changes EVERYTHING about the choices you make. The cult hates it's young people.

Please dont.

• Late Bloomer
    Late Bloomer
    Do they still do the 100 or so baptismal questions? Maybe you can give the "wrong" answers and flunk them? Feign ignorance? I don't know, I'm just trying to think of something that will buy you some time. I'm so sorry you're being pressured.
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Oh dear, oh dear, Oh Dear...

Can't you say Jesus was a man of 30 that had all ready been working as a carpenter, when he decided to retire, and become 'The Christ' and that you, frankly, cannot take this pressure that you have been put under?

Can you play... 'You don't love me'. 'You are pushing me into this decision, that you have made for me'.

I am supposed to be a man, but you have treated me as a child. You have home schooled me, and now you think I am really for baptism?

What I need from you:_____________ and______________. (Possible suggestions would be: Love me and help me. Let me know of your unconditional support of love. You are pushing me and it makes me feel_____)

You know that I don't like being pushed to make a decision, and yet that is what you are doing to me. If I don't get baptized this summer are you going to not love me anymore?

I pray to Jehovah and he understands me. Why can you not leave it like that? Are you afraid of what your friends might think? Umm? This is my life. You are putting too much pressure on me. As I stated, Jesus was 30. Please, do not bring this up again.

Then calmly get up and walk to your room, or outside or whatever feels natural. Don't sit around to be questioned. Be the man and end the conversation... and walk away.

Hugs. I know this is so hard for you.

LoisLane

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Thank you all for your advice. I know you mean well but its too late to go back now, I've already told them I'm going to do it. Honestly sometimes I feel like I have a split personality, jw me and whatever the real me is. I guess the Jehovah's witness in me just took over this time. :( I feel so alone and I just want to be accepted.

• Londo111
    Londo111

You definitely have to make your own decision on this.

However, note the vast consensus that is coming from the people here that are much older than you and have more life experience. If I was 15 again and knew what I knew now, I certainly would start backpedalling before getting dunked.

Until you get dunked, it’s not too late to back out. Once you do this, they can use the shun gun on you to keep you in line. This is why the Governing Body are pushing for this in order to make and retain members. If you do this, you will be walking into the lion’s mouth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit