Black Lives Matter—Do You Agree With Their Philosophy?

by minimus 246 Replies latest jw friends

• Anna Marina
  • Simon
    Simon
    At least he admitted that once open a time there was something called "institutionalized racism". So it is not all some made up fantasy.

It was a thing because there were laws that mandated it, the laws were abolished so it is no longer a thing. Pretty simple.

not enough context was provide but still an interesting statement

Again, fairly simple - if a higher percentage of black men are involved in violent crime then there is a corresponding over-representation in potentially violent interactions with the police. Hardly rocket science or difficult to follow.

By citing the welfare state, he just validated the idea of a "systemic"/"institutionalized" problem that tries to disenfranchise the black community. His whole argument that the state is not out to get the black community just fell apart. It doesn't matter if this is initiated by the Dems or the Republican.

Not really. The welfare state isn't "institutionally racist" per se, as it (AFAIK) doesn't have any racial component. But it seems to have had a severe negative effect on the black community more so than others. I am sure the recipients of the benefits don't see them as racist and would see it as racist to remove them. But neither would be true.

The fact is that over-generous welfare that allows people to live entirely on benefits is a potential trap to the feckless and uneducated. You need some welfare to protect the unfortunate, but people should be encouraged to work and any benefits that is biased against families staying together has a worse effect on the poor and low educated.

It's not like people are forced to live on benefits though, there's always the option of working, which is what usually separates people - not race, life-choices.

I do think that the welfare state was just the latest in a long line of systems that the democrats created to disadvantage black people. It is not systemically racist as there is no racial qualification to it even though it seems to adversely affect black communities most.

Let me try and make it simpler for you to grasp. If the UK government announced "free whiskey for all" it could notionally adversely affect the Scottish more than other nationalities, but there would be nothing "systemically racist" about the policy.

Racism requires some different rules or policies be applied based on race. There are racist laws, but they are sold as being advantagious to blacks. Again, they are from the left so the effect is often the exact opposite of what they claim was the intent.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    No, but equally preposterous is the idea that Castile politely informed Yanez that he was in possession of a firearm before attempting to pull it out and shoot armed police officers.

I dont disagree. I think Castile probably was forthcoming in telling the officer he had a gun and then likely made a movement that led the officer to think he was touching/reaching for it. The officer likely overreacted.

But that's the thing, nobody is defending the police here. It certainly isn't an example of good police work but it's not of racism either.

Human chaos exists in all walks of life. There is no need to take advantage of human chaos to pursue an anti-establishment agenda. Bad cops kills people. Bad doctors kill people. Bad soldiers kill people. And bad people kill people. We just need to keep correcting for these things.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

@simon

Let me try and make it simpler for you to grasp. If the UK government announced "free whiskey for all" it could notionally adversely affect the Scottish more than other nationalities, but there would be nothing "systemically racist" about the policy.

Very good point. Not unless the intention of the UK government was to adversely affect the Scotts, then, that will be a different conversation

Not really. The welfare state isn't "institutionally racist" per se, as it (AFAIK) doesn't have any racial component. But it seems to have had a severe negative effect on the black community more so than others. I am sure the recipients of the benefits don't see them as racist and would see it as racist to remove them. But neither would be true.

Very true. It is also true that you are likely to vote for who ever is giving your free $$$. It appears to affect the black community more probably because they are more vocal about it and it makes for good television. I believe it should have the same effects on other communities if the following numbers are correct

White people without a college degree ages 18 to 64 are the largest class of adults lifted out of poverty by such programs, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. The think tank's 2017 report stated that 6.2 million working-age whites were lifted above the poverty line in 2014 compared to 2.8 million blacks and 2.4 million Hispanics.

The above implies that a lot more communities will be negatively impacted by the welfare state and maybe the black community is the only one that gets the most coverage.

There are racist laws, but they are sold as being advantagious to blacks. Again, they are from the left so the effect is often the exact opposite of what they claim was the intent.

If you claim there are racist laws, does that imply "systemic racism"

• Simon
    Simon
    Not unless the intention of the UK government was to adversely affect the Scotts, then, that will be a different conversation

Yes, but the intention doesn't alter the fact that unless the rule targets specific races, it is by definition not-racist.

Now you could be sneaky and make rules that you know will impact one group more than another (such as Scotts / Whiskey, playing on stereotypes for illustration). If we made a law banning 'fried-chicken', for instance, would that impact one group more than another? Maybe, keep that thought ...

If you claim there are racist laws, does that imply "systemic racism"

Technically, yes, but it would be misleading because the rules are against asians (predominantly) and whites to the notional benefit of blacks (I actually think they are misguided and harmful). People use the term "systemic racism" to claim that there is some racist bias against blacks in the system, which is why I'm trying to be precise and not using it for other rules that are the opposite.

There definitely were racist laws against blacks in the US at one point but these rules were deemed unconstitutional and overturned. This is where the democrats were sneaky. The welfare system has to some degree decimated the black community and I think it was intentional, but there isn't anything racist in it per-se, it's just targeting "fried chicken".

• minimus
    minimus

Jp always is like this with moi. No big deal if he is disturbed by my threads. Yawn

• minimus
    minimus

In nyc a leader of these marches has said it would be a good thing to burn with gasoline the diamond district on 47 th St.

You have to wonder what the hell is wrong with these people? Destroying the Jewish Hasidic jewelry business .... is that a racist thing to want to do or what???

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Black Lives Matter- Do You Agree With Their Philosophy?

I don't know what their "philosophy" is and just have to assume they have one.

All I know is that the slogan "Black Lives Matter" I "get it" but it seems like it's stating the obvious.

When I see the slogan "Black Lives Matter" on a sign or bumper sticker, the smart ass in me has the urge to get a marker and write on it.

( I Just Realized That ) "BLACK LIVES MATTER"

"BLACK LIVES MATTER" ( and who said they didn't?)

"Black Lives Matter" ( so what else is new?)

"Black Lives Matter" ( this sign proves I'm a good person and It makes me feel extra virtuous )

• minimus
    minimus

Yes it’s virtuous to carry a black lives matter sign. It makes one feel good.

• Bud Stars
    Bud Stars

This whole thread is a study in white privilege and mostly white male privilege. It’s hard to wrap your head around the validity of this issue (that is: People of Color have a different experience with law enforcement than white people) when you are the one enjoying privilege. Is this a provision of the law of the land? That’s not the real discussion that we should have. What is the lived experience of PoC? That is the voice we need to hear. The Black Lives Matter movement is possible for two reasons: cell phones that can record events and social media to reveal it to the world. Change is possible but it won’t happen in a nice calm atmosphere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit