Black Lives Matter—Do You Agree With Their Philosophy?

by minimus 246 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I agree with people who say ALL LIVES MATTER. I think BLM is a racist group. If white people pushed an agenda saying White Lives Matter, some people would have a conniption.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

I hear you minimus. Apparently though I don't get it and thinking "all lives matter" makes me a racist. But I'm full Italian so I've been called worse my whole life.

When my daughters were in high school I questioned the school board about funding ethnic clubs for African, Mexican, Asian & Armenian students. Thousands of dollars allocated to their clubs each year. Where the fuck was the Pale Ass White American club and why couldn't they get a slice of the pie? For context, students attempted to start one but it was denied as being supremacist or racist.

I also agree with Drew Brees. You disrespect the American Flag by kneeling prior to a football game, I don't care what you are trying to symbolize by using the Flag as a prop. You are wrong. Find another avenue.

Drew pussied out amongst the current storm.

Do Black Lives Matter?

It actually is starting to require some extra thought. I'm not sure any lives matter anymore.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course all humanity's lives matter.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal
    If white people pushed an agenda saying White Lives Matter

Why would white people want to say that?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

White people don't want to say that. They do want to say All Lives Matter. Then they are called racists.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal
    They do want to say All Lives Matter

I see your point. Maybe the problem is that when that statement is made, "All Lives Matter" it is often in answer to BLM which might be construed as trying to negate their movement.

• Quetzal
    Quetzal

If the BLM protest brings about better policing in the US, I guess everyone stands to gain and not just members of the BLM.

Similar to how the JW fought for their right to worship in the 20th century and it actually benefited other religious groups

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

Logical fallacy's galore. To think the people involved in "black lives matter" don't value all lives is a mis-characterization. It was a slogan to bring attention to an issue that has disproportionately affected "african american" people. A slogan like "have a coke and a smile" is also not saying that you cannot smile without a coke. If there were a rash of any underrepresented group being mistreated or killed while under police custody anyone and everyone should be outraged.

To believe in the ideal that no one should be marginalized is not the same as being a proponent of the opposite. That's one of the problems with discourse in dealing with issues like this because things are painted as mutually exclusive when there is a lot of overlap and a range of viewpoints.

Women, who make up the majority of people in the USA are also the most likely victims of domestic violence. No one would be thinking it sexist to push for and end to domestic abuse with a slogan that mentioned "Women". And though men are also victims of domestic abuse it is not to the same degree.

Violence is terrible when it happens to anyone, be they law enforcement or civilians or health care workers. When I realized how things are framed shapes perception and started to look at the statements and comments being made it helped me to realize that this type of thought process is deep in the Jehovah Witness pysche.

Either you are for us or against us. Either you love this or you hate it. That's not true. Change a statement into something equivalent and it's easily seen. Either someone loves Jesus or they hate Jesus. What about people who like him somewhat and dislike him somewhat? If someone derived your views on ice-cream based on something like "Do you want to eat ice cream now" and inferred that if you answered "no" that you never wanted to eat ice cream or if you answered "yes" that you always wanted to eat ice cream would miss the possibility that many people only like ice cream some of the time. (I was going to specify a flavor but that might have detracted from the point.)

I prefer to call this type of statement false dichotomy instead of a "black and white fallacy" which it is also known as.

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Hell no

• minimus
    minimus

The girl👍👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit