Is Having Kids Worth It?

by Prisca 103 Replies latest social family

• Prisca
    Prisca

I just want to thank everyone for their responses. There are too many for me to comment on, but many of you have given me things to think about, and I value your imput.

I know raising kids is no picnic. It's not something I am about to rush into, nor do I think it's something I am going to let myself miss out on (if I can help it). I believe a child needs both parents, so I will be careful when and to whom I fall pregnant. Hey, I don't even have a regular guy yet, so it will be quite a while before I start asking for knitting patterns, LOL!

Thanks again guys.

• gumby
    gumby
    I know raising kids is no picnic.

Just one more thing,

I had only one child Prisca and she was easy. She never got into trouble or caused us pain. You would be a good mom and have a good kid too.Just don't wait too long eh? Your 30 what? 32,33, 34, 35?

Two 40 year old women just had babies at my wifes hall and are happy as can be according to my wife, so you got more than a few years. Just make sure you love the dude first and don't get too anxious about the kid thing till ya do...............................ya hear me dammit!

Gumby

• ros
    ros

Prisca:

I never had children and never regretted it. While growing up, I assumed that someday I would have children. When I was grown up, I asked: Does the world need more people? Why do I want to have children? Does the world need *my* offspring? What if I have sons and they grow up to be killed or maimed in wars, get involved with drugs, etc. etc.? Why do I want children?

When I got married, I simply never came to a time when I actually wanted to go through pregnancy and bring for more people. It just did not seem important for the world to have more people. I saw no particular advantage. Perhaps, if I felt inclined, I would adopt someone who was already here who needed a home if I felt compelled to parent.

I think the question to ask is: Why do you want children? Are you afraid you will feel unfulfilled as a woman if you don't? I have wondered if that is not something of social "brainwashing" for women.

Think about it. Look around. It's definitely right for some people, not for others imo.

~Ros

• Simon
    Simon

Kids are hard work but worth it.

It's incredibly nerve wracking and you never stop worry about them but it's the little things that make it all worthwhile.

It's great seeing them grown and learn new things.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Prisca.....I was 38 and had Teryn, now she's 2.....best thing I ever did ......read the other thread you commented on about having children and knowing if you wanted them or not for more comments to you! Hang in there and get preggo......oh get a GOOD man first.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Prisca, find a younger guy with no kids like I did. It's so much funner that way!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Prisca from this Mom you will hear a YES! They are worth all the effort and hard work. My best advise is in picking the father to be someone who has the same ideals as you and look at how his family is and how he is with his family. Thats a good indicator of how he will parent as well as what kind of husband he will be.

I just got a phone call from my youngest and he is a WONDERFUL SON! He'll be 23 in October and I could literally fill up volumes of pages bragging on him. I would have to give equal time to my other four kids because they are equally as WONDERFUL! They are the love of my life always have been and yes there were tough times, but we got through them. Heck nothing says there won't be more tough times just cuz they're grown doesn't make it hurt any less when they have problems, it does give them more comfort to know they have so many brothers, sisters and parents who care and will help them as I know they would do the same for me if Craig or I needed it.

One of the nicest complements I got was from my daughter a couple of weeks ago when she said, "Mom I'm glad you are also my friend, someone I can trust and share with." Made my heart melt!

My book is full of complements like that from my kids..........best not get me started with bragging on my four grandkids.

I wish you the best Prisca, you'll make a wonderful house mum!

Kate (of the missing my kido's class)

• Mulan
    Mulan

Definitely YES!! We have four kids, and I guess it was hard work, but at the time I just did it, and didn't think about it being hard. I loved it..............I was a full time Mom and housewife (I don't mind the title) and loved it!

Now my kids are all grown, and are incredible, responsible adults, all married to wonderful people, I love dearly. They have given us 7 grandchildren, that are the light of our lives, and there will be more. Our youngest and his wife haven't even started yet.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((Mulan))))))))

You took the words right out of my mouth:

I was a full time Mom and housewife (I don't mind the title) and loved it!

The best career choice I could have ever made.

You and Bigred do have the nicest kids, Craig and I really enjoyed meeting the ones we've met and your grandkids are adorable! Hope to see you tomorrow and meet more of your family.

Kate

• patio34
    patio34

What an interesting thread--thanks Prisca!

The question seems awkward to me. My four children have greatly enriched my life and I love them very much along with the grandchildren. It's very satisfying. Were they worth it? Of course they were! But if I could go back in time and make different choices about marriage, college, career, etc., things could be very different.

I have great empathy for Francois' pain, because I know nothing can be more painful than a kid in perpetual trouble. I think his opinions were perfectly reasonable and inoffensive. After all, they were about his personal situation, not others.

Moreover, the worries and concerns I feel for the future with all the events going on, along with a newly restarted nuclear arms development, I often find myself wishing I hadn't had children. My thinking goes like this: If civilization ends in the next 100 years and I had no progeny, I wouldn't care as much. But it's them who will have to live longer with the consequences of what may happen to civil liberties, nuclear danger, endless war, etc. I could just die in peace in 2-3 decades, instead of worrying about their futures.

Maybe it won't be bad and it's best to let it go. I hope so. Peace and happiness to everyone.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit