New ANTI-GAY video for Kids on jw.org

by ttdtt 234 Replies latest jw experiences

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I'm not downplaying the message. I think its sick. But in true jwn fashion this discussion has turned into a pseudo armchair intellectual argument for the sake of arguing how its not hate. And in true jwn fashion nothing will be accomplished. Meanwhile it is turning heads on the internet but in this forum its downplayed as just watchtower being watchtower.

I'm merely trying to get to the heart of why this is not just doctrine but encouraging homophobia in kids. It shouldn't be downplayed like it is.

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm merely trying to get to the heart of why this is not just doctrine but encouraging homophobia in kids - fmf

Because kids comes home from school with the message that gay marriage is ok.

The WT want to challenge that view.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Cofty just because little Sophia is smiling and talking about paradise doesn't make it not homophobia.

Mom is talking about how to engage her school mate and how they can change in order not be killed by god. Its not that complicated.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Cofty: dubstepped - Did you read Steve2's comments?
    He self-identifies as a gay man.
    "It's clearly NOT a hateful video. The adjective "hateful" has become an over-used word to describe anyone who dares disagree with you on a sensitive issue." - Steve2
    Taking offense doesn't count. It is a cowardly way to shut down conversation.
    I looked it up and hate speech is speech that offends, insults, or threatens groups, based on things such as sexual orientation. I'm pretty sure that most gay people would be offended at that video.

So now Steve2 not only speaks for all gay humanity but also sets definitions of words. Gotcha. We're all wrong because 1. Cofty says so folks, end of thread. Or, just maybe you feel one way and we feel the other. It's cool with me. Clearly it never is with you.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Cofty:
    • ttdtt - Are you serious?

The OT and the NT judge homosexuality. Paul says homosexuals won't inherit the kingdom. Are you seriously suggesting the WT could get away with permitting gay sex?

10% of all mammals exhibit homosexual or bisexual activity

Only humans and domestic sheep display lifelong homosexual preference even when hetrosexual sex is available.

--------------------------------------------

There are two propositions to be challenged in this part of the conversation.

First ttdtt's assertion, that: "10% of all mammals exhibit homosexual or bisexual activity"

A very high number of animal species (including, but not limited to mammals) can exhibit sexual behaviour with the same sex. Bruce Bagemihl's acclaimed analysis of zoological research on animal sexual behaviour discusses evidence of same sex, sexual behaviour in 450 different species of animals.

Because Bagemihl's work was essentially a meta study, analysing the work of many other zoologists, I do not think his conclusions have been seriously challenged.

It leaves a big hole in the Christian (including our former loving brothers and sisters) claim that the creation work of the YHWH/JESUS design team is always consistent with their moral laws.

The other assertion I wish to challenge is your (Cofty's) assertion that:

"Only humans and domestic sheep display lifelong homosexual preference even when heterosexual sex is available."

For example (just to cite two other species), Bagemihl, cites field work reports that some species of penguin's have been observed where some male bird's develop 'homosexual pair bonds' that last for the life span of the birds.

A sort of pair bonding also seems to develop with male elephants, and there are others.

However, the real problem with the remark is that it ignores the research that indicates that the 'natural' sexuality of most animal species is a sexual fluidity. This concept more easily explains the reality that can be observed in the natural world (human's included).

If non-one does any other research on the topic, have a look at the reviews of Bagemihl's book on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Biological-Exuberance-Homosexuality-Diversity-Stonewall/dp/031225377X

and maybe this page in Noel Castree's, "Making Sense of Nature." (p.85 of the google books site).

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=6UptAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=challenging+Bruce+Bagemihl%27s,+Biological+Exuberance&source=bl&ots=Tcn6-hjloc&sig=XH1d1lz6iegu_8P3ewksRhH8Ak0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBrJHU-r7MAhVGtpQKHY_GBYQQ6AEIMTAD#v=onepage&q=challenging%20Bruce%20Bagemihl's%2C%20Biological%20Exuberance&f=false

• cofty
    cofty
    So now Steve2 not only speaks for all gay humanity but also sets definitions of words. Gotcha. - dubstepped

Steve2 is a gay man and a 3rd generation JW. His opinion is worth taking note of.

Cofty says so folks, end of thread.

That is a total distortion of the conversation.

I have made many comments and arguments on this thread and totally condemned the video a number of times. Some of the comments in this thread are exaggerated and unreasonable. Apparently saying so isn't popular. Welcome to the JWN echo chamber.

maybe you feel one way and we feel the other. It's cool with me. Clearly it never is with you.

It's cool with me but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to respond to questions and critical comments.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sophia the mini elderette is in training for when she marries an the elder-son of the COBE and then she can lord it over the whole congregation with her moral superiority.

The real message of the video should be Sophia's mother saying "How will you ever get to marry an elder dear if you don't learn how to meddle, judge and counsel others now"

• cofty
    cofty

Fulltimestudent - Hundreds of animals engage in same-sex activity but there is no evidence that any animals apart from domestic sheep are exclusively homosexual when hetrosexual sex is available.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    So cofty question because I want to understand would you consider this video encouraging homophobia to kids or not?
  • cofty
    cofty
    I want to understand would you consider this video encouraging homophobia to kids or not?

Since I am being judged on semantics please tell me how you are defining homophobia first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit