Breaking News - NK Missile Overflies Japan

by cofty 114 Replies latest social current

• jp1692
    jp1692

What the Fisherman ^^^ said!

• watson
    watson

China needs to shut down the loon in NK.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Trump's response to get the UN involved has been correct. You can't just go bomb North Korea without giving up Seoul and starting another Korean War, NK knows it, Trump knows it, Pres. Clinton and every presidency since has known it since NK started shooting missiles around.

The UN council will now have to show it's hand, especially Russia/China which is in an increasingly difficult position to justify their support for NK. Putting pressure on those countries to control their lapdog is the 'right' response which Obama and Bush before him failed to realize, by engaging China to 'do the right thing', Trump put China in a position to show it's power or lack thereof.

For so long NK has been the lightning rod that divides China and Russia from the "West". If they lose or have lost power over the region, they will do anything to gain it back and if not, they are much weaker than they imply. North Korea is just a giant power gauge and is leverage between the powers. With Obama and Bush Jr., the response to NK showed that US leadership was lacking and during those years China got the upper hand in trade and has even gone as far as purchasing massive US debt, with Trump and Clinton in power, China's current and then administrations were weaker and trade benefited the US.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    China needs to shut down the loon in NK.

He is far for being a loon. Fear and Force is the language that everyone clearly understands and he speaks the language very fluently.

Morpheus pointed out that China wants NK as a buffer state.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    Fisherman: He is far for being a loon.

You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Watson used it -not me. I figured he meant "looney"by the context of his statement. Perhaps I am wrong. What do you think he meant?

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Looking back at history, it seems the Clinton administration was very close to doing a deal with North Korea to shut down the missile program. The Bush Junior administration continued the discussions, and it looked like they were progressing. Then within a few months after September 11, Bush was referring to NK as part of the axis of evil and all meaningful discussion ceased.

Hence in broad terms, I think it is silly to blame either Trump or Obama for the current situation. This is just the culmination of a failure to deal with the situation 15 to 20 years ago.

At the moment, it seems to me that the only realistic way of dealing with NK is to get China to put a stop to it. China has the power to do so, as almost all export income received by NK is from China, and NK gets all its fuel through China. If, for example, China cut fuel supplies to NK, NK would probably cave in within a month.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    "...NK would probably cave in within a month."

Could not have said it better myself. China could do that but it seems to me that for some reason it is to China's advantage not to foot and also for China's advantage for NK to continue to put pressure on the US. Without China, NK collapses. And should KJU regime collapse and he needs to run for his life, he is guaranteed sanctuary and safety in China.

• zeb
    zeb

I have a deep sympathy for good people of NK who stand to be the sufferers if the pie hits the fan. If this occurs the 'leader' will do a runner leaving his military and the people to cop it.

• cofty
    cofty

"Most serious missile launch yet" BBC...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit