Aunt Jemima and Mrs.Buttersworth Need To Be Destroyed!

by minimus 104 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was thinking... for all these people who want to remove every past mistake or simple history, right or wrong, it’s no different than what the Watchtower has done by simply removing past comments in their literature or removing the literature itself so that evidence never existed to support their wrongness.

• Davros
    Davros

Movies and radio shows from the 1920s through the 1950’s/1960’s often portrayed African-American women as maids or domestic help. For example a popular radio personality in the 1940s was a maid called Beulah. ( Somebody bawl for Beulah) and was actually voiced by a skinny white guy ( google Marlin Hurt). But the accents and inflections were the same as the ads posted above.

Funny, the way the Happy Days ad is written is how most kids spell when they text today.

• TD
    TD

Not so sure. She was consistently pictured as a maid/cook in a white household:

Sometimes it came across as a Southern plantation:

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder if google will ban these “ offensive “ pictures

• TD
    TD
    Min
    I was thinking... for all these people who want to remove every past mistake or simple history, right or wrong, it’s no different than what the Watchtower has done by simply removing past comments in their literature or removing the literature itself so that evidence never existed to support their wrongness.

I would guess there is a difference between people who want the past erased and people who are uncomfortable with things that hearken back to it.

For example:

"The one to blame for the war"

If they were to take this character in a more respectable, less caricatured form and use him as an emblem/mascot for an investment house or financial advisor today, I'd probably be a little uncomfortable too.

I understand this makes no logical sense, but then human emotions and gut reactions aren't logical.

• minimus
    minimus

Hmm, I kinda like that pic, lol

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe
    minimusan hour ago

I think it’s different, just because a change is made going forward, it doesn’t erase the past. We can always go back and see what it was before. That’s different then the WT efforts to not be upfront and hide the past when they remove words or older articles. WT has control over the library so for the most part they can change history where they want (except for where there are individuals that have an original copy).

• TD
    TD
    Hmm, I kinda like that pic, lol

Hmmm. So you like Schweitzer's work?

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I really don't know what the big deal is with Quaker Oats changing the look of their packaging. Quaker made a business decision and they are following thru. It'll be interesting to see how they sell the Aunt Jemima product line going forward. It would seem that they can't just drop the image yet keep the name.

• minimus
    minimus

Maybe Aunt Jemima will be white. I dunno. If it creates a good business sense it’s all right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit