A new generation of anointed that will not pass away.

by Fisherman 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Fisherman

".... since no sign would given to that evil generation, this generation at the olivette refers to his disciples who were given the sign: “

The composite sign so called were simply events that would preceed the real sign of Jerusalem's impending destruction. The real sign of Jerusalem's end was the Abomination of desolation which referred to the Roman armies surrounding Jerusalem. It was the sign to flee the city and surrounding areas to the mountains. Those who tarried either lost their lives or were deported to surrounding nations.

There were no signs given believers to preceed the Parousia. "At a time ye think not, the Son of Man cometh." The timing of Christ's return is still unknown and that is why we are to be ready, waiting and watching at all times.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@ DJW

Vanderhoven7, are you a preterist? Do you believe Jesus made his second coming in 70 CE and that he thus will not come in the future? Do you believe a rapture of anointed Christians took place in 70 CE?

Nope. I am a partial preterist. Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 deal with 2 separate events

a.The destruction of Jerusalem (Mt.24:`1-35)

b.The second coming or parousia of Christ (Mt 24:36-51)

• waton
    waton

Fisherman:

Just using his age as an example. ( Fr. Fr. Fanz)

D. Splane used FF's life as an example of long lived anointed, "serving" at age ~ 20, dying at close to a 100. He mentioned there are possibly partakers older than Fr Fr. .

Fr Fr died in 93, at the time, the wt prophecy for end of the generation, according to magazine headlines, was before the end of the century: 1999.

now, as calculated, 2075

There is no new light The deadline was in the past before the death of Brother Fred Franz more or less.
    Because the great tribulation dd not occur back then, the only explanation for that is that the definition of generation involves a younger age group living on borrowed time.

The only explanation is really, that the whole convoluted 607. 1914, 1919, 1918, 1925, calculation is meaningless, found wanting every time.

wt and its defenders should be now see the handwriting on the wall.

Being found to be false prophets confirmed again and again.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

World wars, and all the other parts of Jesus sign that identity his parausia correspond with 1914 and all the events that followed and the preaching work is all evidence that this is the time period that Jesus prophesied about. Therefore the great tribulation must come during this era of the anointed of the JW. Only the great tribulation with the tethered immediate events has not occurred yet. So seeing all the other evidence, the the gt will hit shortly.

As I said before everybody that was alive in 1914 is gone now both righteous wicked and anointed. Given all the other fulfilled parts the the prophecy, the passing away can only refer to the overlap. Which means that evil generation is not the meaning of generation today.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Fisherman

"This generation" on the lips of Jesus invariably refers to the faithless generation of his day.

The following is an excerpt from The Watchtower of May 1, 1999 (p. 11,12) which contains some elements of sound interpretation.

In the years leading up to 66 C.E., Christians would have seen many of the preliminary elements of the composite sign being fulfilled-wars, famines, even an extensive preaching of the good news of the Kingdom. (Acts 11:28; Colossians 1:23) When, though, would the end come? What did Jesus mean when he said: 'This generation [Greek, ge.ne.a'] will not pass away'? Jesus had often called the contemporaneous mass of opposing Jews, including religious leaders, 'a wicked, adulterous generation.' (Matthew 11:16; 12:39, 45; 16:4; 17:17; 23:36) So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of "this generation," he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history...

Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, 'this generation' (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose." *

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Fisherman,

May 1, 1999 Watchtower article continued:

Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, 'this generation' (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose." *

The wicked generation of Jewish opposers who could observe the sign being fulfilled would also experience the end. (Matthew 24:6, 13, 14) And that they did! In 70 C.E., the Roman army returned, led by Titus, son of Emperor Vespasian. The suffering of the Jews who were again bottled up in the city is almost beyond belief." Eyewitness Flavius Josephus reports that by the time the Romans demolished the city, about 1,100,000 Jews had died and some 100,000 were taken captive, most of those soon to perish horribly from starvation or in Roman theaters. Truly, the tribulation of 66-70 C.E. was the greatest that Jerusalem and the Jewish system had ever experienced or would ever experience. How different the outcome was for Christians who had heeded Jesus' prophetic warning and had left Jerusalem after the departure of the Roman armies in 66 C.E.!

My Conclusion to the May 1, 1999 Watchtower article: If the overlapping generation is right (which it is not) then Armageddon will come during the overlapping lives of Watchtower opposers who turn their back on the divine purpose.

So my opposing grandad was alive in 1914 and I knew him quite well. Now I am 75 and oppose the organization as well. When I reach 105 it will be 2052. Will I be safe to decide then that the overlapping generation must be wrong? If not at least give me a date.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Why is it that every time the organization has changed the generation doctrine, it was always done to create more time?

PROGRESSIVE WATCHTOWER LIGHT ON “THIS GENERATION”

In 1968 the youngest of the 1914 generation were 15 years old.

"Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the 'last days' began. ... Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of 'this generation' nearly 70 years old today." (Awake! Oct 8, 1968 p13)

In 1978 the youngest of the 1914 generation were clearly not babies

"Thus, when it comes to the application in our time, the "generation" logically would not apply to babies born during World War I. It applies to Christ's followers and others who were able to observe that war and the other things that have occurred in fulfillment of Jesus' composite "sign."" (Watchtower Oct 1, 1978 p31)

In 1980 the youngest of the 1914 generation were revised to 10 years olds.

"As indicated by an article on page 56 of U.S. News & World Report of January 14, 1980, "If you assume that 10 is the age at which an event creates a lasting impression on a person's memory," then there are today more than 13 million Americans who have a "recollection of World War I."" (Watchtower Oct 15, 1980 p31)

In 1984 the youngest of the 1914 generation were reduced to babies.

"If Jesus used "generation" in that sense and we apply it to 1914, then the babies of that generation are now 70 years old or older. And others alive in 1914 are in their 80's or 90's, a few even having reached a hundred. There are still many millions of that generation alive." (Watchtower May 15, 1984 p5)

In 1988 the youngest were babies that were born in 1914

"Likewise today, most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it." (Watchtower April 8, 1988 p14)

In 1995 age no longer was a factor in determining the 1914 generation

“Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.” – Watchtower Nov 1, 1995, p.20.

Finally in 2010 the 1914 generation overlaps.

How, then, are we to understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”? He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near. By maintaining your sense of urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that you are keeping up with advancing light and following the leadings of holy spirit.—Mark 13:37. Watchtower 04/15, 2010 Article: Holy Spirit’s Role in the Outworking of Jehovah’s Purpose

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Generations don't replace other ones.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    • Generations don't replace other ones

Hope that somehow they do!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

“Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term “generation” as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.” – Watchtower Nov 1, 1995, p.20.

That was the last WT I ever read. I was 32 years old. I just couldn't believe how stupid the WT imagined us to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit