A new generation of anointed that will not pass away.

by Fisherman 162 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Diogenesister,

Just to be clear, I don't expect JWs to defend their faith. I hope they do give it a go, but I won't badger them if they don't. And I won't follow them around trying to goad them into discussions on subjects I know they are not interested in or that are unrelated to the OP. If I wanted to discuss Atheism or naturalism or evolution, I would start a thread or join in someone else's.

It's wonderful to be on a forum where people are free to talk about what they want to talk about without feeling pressure to cave into other people's agendas.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

TonusOH regarding the article called "How to Persuade an Atheist to Become Christian" it might be helpful for Christian evangelists to read it. But I think it was written by an atheist (or an ex-atheist) partly since some of its statements reflects the atheistic viewpoint (but perhaps it was written by a Christian who was never an atheist). For example it says the following.

"It would be logical for a caring, loving God to allow non-Christians into Heaven if they were kind people who did lots of good works.

... Consider why the person is an atheist. Different atheists have different reasons why they aren't religious. ...

• They think there's no logical reason to believe in God. These people are driven by logic, so convincing them to base decisions on faith is unlikely to work.

... Consider whether your arguments are rational or faith-based. Someone who has based their decisions purely on rationality is unlikely to be swayed by emotional reasoning.

... Don't try to debate about logic or the Bible. Believing in God is a fundamentally illogical choice because you are choosing to have faith in a power beyond what you know. It's a leap of the heart. It's best to acknowledge this and focus on the emotional power of faith.

Warnings ...

• Be warned that when approaching the subject of religion with atheists (especially with an eye to conversion) that many atheists you are likely to meet were brought up in or around the Christian faith. Many once believed, honestly and wholeheartedly, were actively involved with their church and held as true all aspects of the faith. In time these ex-Christians, through personal reasons came to a place where they did not hold the beliefs anymore and turned away from them. Frequently they had questions in their religious life and beliefs and went seeking answers, some in discussions with their priest, pastor, peers, and some studied the Bible, studied philosophy, religious history, comparative religion, and science. You may believe you are bringing them a fresh and bight message of good news, one they are unaware of, but they may have a greater academic knowledge of their ideas of their subjects than you do of yours. Such questioning leads to them to dismissing their faith. Some have a background not only of a Christian faith but also have information about a large number of other religions, philosophies, history and science. Also, if they have lived it, they know what it was like to be a believer in church, and had experienced the light and love of God. Many openly admit they miss the clarity and community/cultural aspect of church and Christianity, but believe that to feign a belief simply to re-gain that, would be hypocrisy for them. And, as atheists, they find it hard to pretend. So be careful, and think more than twice before attempting to convert your atheist friend. Talking with your friend on the subject of God and faith just might open questions you can't readily answer, and might cause confusion or doubt.
      "
  • Gman2001
    Gman2001

The "Great Crowd" is in heaven....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit