What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Freemindfade, modern leftists such as whom?

And I directly disagree with you. He is volatile.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Last post for a bit... Here is McCain's quote... (Got it from CNN instead of Breitbart. Sorry to whomever that offends)

On Sunday's "Meet the Press," McCain joked that he hates the press, and host Chuck Todd "especially," but defended the role of journalists in society when asked about Trump's tweet Friday that the "fake news media ... is the enemy of the American people" and similar remarks he made at a rally the following evening in Florida.
    "If you want to preserve democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and, many times, adversarial press," McCain said. "And without it, I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started."
    "They get started by suppressing free press," McCain continued. "In other words, a consolidation of power. When you look at history, the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press. And I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Freemindfade, modern leftists such as whom

such as the ones rioting... I mean protesting... and having cry-ins, saying "allahu akbar" in times square simply because its liberal sheik to be super pro-islam even if you hate and denounce every other religion on earth, the "not my president" cry babies. There are a lot of rational, liberal people out there who don't like trump who are condemning this breed of brainless leftism. Largely because that nonsense is what got us trump in the first place, but instead of acknowledging that and regroups they are throwing a tantrum. Just like they protested instead of voting for Killary. If you were wondering if it was directed at you or anyone here, no it wasn't.

Got it from CNN instead of Breitbart. Sorry to whomever that offends

I have yet to hear anyone on here say the Breitbart is their news source of choice, quite the contrary, I hear most rational people putting them all into the same category. So you sound crazy because you are basically talking to no one.

And please read more. You said:

And I directly disagree with you. He is volatile.

But I didn't say he wasn't, I actually said:

I don't see him any more volatile than modern leftists though lol. honestly, the "trigger" folks I am speaking of, not the ones still using their brains.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Also you are claiming Obama as a victim of biased news, I haven't heard anyone hear say anything to the contrary. I think no news crowd went at him as hard as Trump, but sure he suffered the same thing of being a victim of the spin, and he did present himself with class and dignity, I don't think that always means he was dignified, the fabrication of a lie about Benghazi? and never being able to call out radical islam? sadly those are not classy moves, but I agree, he presents himself 2000% better than trump, no doubt.

• sir82
    sir82

There are a lot of rational, liberal people out there who don't like trump who are condemning this breed of brainless leftism.

So why is it that nearly everyone who posts "left of center" on this board is, eventually, lumped in with the crazies?

I lost count of how many times I've read "You worship Obama" and similar. To the best of my knowledge, I've never posted anything defending Obama.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Freemindride, please forgive my attempts at humor. I am sure you don't get your news from Breitbart.

The whole point of this thread is that the "news media" is biased. Clearly, traditional news media is under attack from the right. The more I think about this thread and the comments made, the more I think we are talking about the wrong thing. Thus, my recent comments above....

Freemindride, leftist protests are also constitutionally protected. As is the news media. For now. Imagine if it was somehow...outlawed. Because it irritated people. You know, no need for the whiners to let it be known that they don't like it when a President who won the electoral college but not the popular vote suddenly says "That can't be right!" and then repeatedly disagrees with anything resembling truth and a fact. Should we not expect such STUPID behavior to be called and cause upset? I protest it. Trump is wrong where he stands. To defend it is utter stupidity. Let's call it what it is. And let's not get mad at the news media for doing the same thing.

Apologies if I missed your point in Trump being volatile versus those who choose to protest.

• Simon
    Simon
    I just totally disagree with this. What? Is CNN run by the government? NBC? No they aren't. Do they report what is inconvenient to the right wing mind? It would appear so.

You seem to have a comprehension problem. I was answering your question on whether having no free press would be better than a biased one.

No free press is actually THE most biased you can get.

That is a different question to whether the press is actually free or not.

I think they are totally free in that the hype about Trump affecting their freedom is completely overblown and just that - media hype. They are not unbiased though.

That is a convenient side stepping of the issue to the right wing mind. Taxes are released precisely to demonstrate where a candidate has been playing and who they have been playing with. It is legit.

It is something recent candidates have done in order to be elected. Turns out the electorate didn't judge failure to do it as a discounting attribute in this last election.

It doesn't mean it isn't an issue and that we wouldn't like to see them. But illegal? On the same scale as Benghazi? I don't think so.

So not a convenient sidestepping, just a basic fact, one that the press again mis-portrays as a crime. That doesn't mean that his tax returns wouldn't show some crime, but not producing them isn't one.

I call him President Small Hands to make a point.

It serves no point other than to add to the general noise and give him things to point at and say "see, haters". Especially when it's on sites that claim to be "news". It should be kept for the comedy circuit.

Obama ... lived through years of his citizenship and religion being questioned.

Questioning anything is OK. If Obama could refuse to show something that was a legal requirement to be president then Trump can refuse to show something that isn't.

Can you see how it works yet? That the rules shouldn't change based on whether you like the guy in the WhiteHouse or not?

To this day, Obama is considered a Muslim by a sect of biased media.

No, I think the questions asked are why his administration gave the finger to Israel on every chance it could while giving funding and kind words to groups like the Muslim Brotherhood. When Obama says that his role is to promote the idea that Islam is a religion of peace, I think it's fair to question his aims and loyalties.

In that case, you probably don't like "mainstream" media. You might enjoy a more white view of the world, which is the last thing from reality.

And there it is. Always ready. "Oooh, if you have a conservative outlook then you must be RACIST !!!"

• Simon
    Simon
    "They get started by suppressing free press," McCain continued. "In other words, a consolidation of power. When you look at history, the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press. And I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history."

What he's doing there is trying to imply that Trump is a dictator, the next Hitler or Stalin, but give himself a way out in case someone calls him on it, which they should.

Has Trump actually tried to shut down the press or do anything unconstitutional?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I think free press is critical no matter how wacky, just like free speech, that being said I do think several media outlets deserve harsh criticism for whom they have gotten into bed with, and also how they have monopolized the propaganda of one party or another. There is news out there that just reports stories, they do exist, but I don't know which ones lean which way half the time, if I find a story or even a fact that is negative towards one political group, I then have to google where the media outlet lands on the political scale, so I can avoid being criticized for quoting them. Then I try to find the same story on the otherside's news slant so it's qualifies... does everyone see how crazy this has gotten?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

To Simon:

First of all, I want to apologize. I made a general statement about mainstream media versus what I see as a "whiter" version of the news. I think that merits it's own discussion thread. However, I see I made it seem like I believe you to be racist, and I don't. I apologize for my sloppy point.

We both agree that bias exists in the media. I think that the question needs to be redirected to matters of fact.

You seem to have a comprehension problem. I was answering your question on whether having no free press would be better than a biased one.

I see an attack on something that is by definition of the First Amendment, a Democratic institution, our free (and biased) press. What is considered "better" or not is irrelevant. It is free. What alternative is there to free? To McCain's point that I quoted above, an adversarial press is something all Presidents should expect as a check. This issue has come up in the light of Trump's recent comments about the news media pushing "fake news." Let's not forget the context. That is 100% wrong where he stands. He deserves censure for that, and more of it in my opinion.

So not a convenient sidestepping, just a basic fact, one that the press again mis-portrays as a crime. That doesn't mean that his tax returns wouldn't show some crime, but not producing them isn't one.

A total accident of history, frankly.... Good thing we have a free press to investigate this. I am sure they will find some evidence (facts!) that he will try to ignore and side step. Why do you think he is working so hard right now to discredit the free press. Because of what he is doing now, or what will eventually be found out about him in the future? Where there is smoke, there is fire.

No, I think the questions asked are why his administration gave the finger to Israel on every chance it could while giving funding and kind words to groups like the Muslim Brotherhood. When Obama says that his role is to promote the idea that Islam is a religion of peace, I think it's fair to question his aims and loyalties.
    And Trump's ideas are to promote Russia as a friendly 2nd cousin to the United States? What's good for the goose is good for the gander here my friend.

I think you over-simplify the incredibly complex situation that is the occupied territories around Israel. Because Israel is our ally (as they should be) doesn't mean that everything they do is right, moral and just. However, we seem incapable of having a nuanced discussion on this 3,000 year old knot over there. But that goes beyond the scope of this discussion. Needless to say, I think Obama's loyalties are first and foremost to the protection and growth of the United States. As were all other Presidents prior to Trump. Trump is the first president I question that, and it has nothing to do with him being a "Republican".

I am left of center socially, fiscally conservative, and prefer the company of laid back Libertarians. I also believe that everyone on this thread is in it together. We have to stop fighting and figure this out. But we won't be able to do that with two separate sets of facts.

The news media isn't the enemy. Some politicians fanning nationalistic flames very much are. That is a shame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit