What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Has Trump actually tried to shut down the press or do anything unconstitutional?

By calling them "fake news" yes he has. If we were to wait until he actually did shut down the press, it would be too late wouldn't it...

He could end this by moving on with his agenda and start working with the levers of government our founders created and has worked pretty well overall. He still clearly is in campaign mode. He needs to get to work. I am pretty sure he is out of executive orders soon.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    By calling them "fake news" yes he has.

To play orange devils advocate, Obama and other presidents have done the same, in much less theatrical manner of course

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Just to put this out there....

It's one thing for Fox News to disagree with any liberal politician as they make no bones about their being right leaning. And guess what, that's constitutionally protected. However, CNN and the major news outlets make no such claims. It's Fox and (if you will recall) news talk radio that started this. They INSISTED that the media was lefty. Simply because their political points of view weren't a majority in government. (Remember Limbaugh's "America Held Hostage" during the Clinton years? Those were such tough times for America.....)

Framing news will always happen when you report it. However, the bias started, and has always been with Fox News and the fringe right.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    To play orange devils advocate, Obama and other presidents have done the same, in much less theatrical manner of course

Red Herring. With respect, no they haven't. No President has ever attacked the news media as an institution until Trump.

Argue about facts, be political, etc? Of course. But never ever has an institution protected by the first amendment been attacked by a President until Trump.

Wait, I am wrong. Nixon. Forgot about him..... He did it too. Turns out, he was the liar.

• bohm
    bohm
    freemindfade: I don't see him any more volatile than modern leftists though lol.

So you are saying that far-left SJW type leftist crybabies are ridiculous... and Trump is just about as ridiculous as they are...

I guess I agree with that ;-).

• bohm
    bohm

Re. Trump he:

• Use a general label for "the media" which imply it is telling untrue stories "fake news" (compare to Lugenspress). This label is used by Trump and people near to him to deflect cretique.
    • Label the media both his "enemy" and "the enemy of the people"
    • Has started collecting money to "fight" the media in an organized manner

These are simply not things a person with respect for democracy does. "enemy of the people" is 100% chekist slogan, I will refer you to the early days of the Russian revolution on that one.

Re. the comparison to Obama: A thing I have noticed is that critique of Trump is nearly never addressed, but rather it is deflected by saying: but whatabout...

Why is that? Have we given up on finding a solid moral grounding on which to evaluate our views on? Interestingly, this tactic is the bread-and-butter of the Russian TV propaganda.

How is this different than when a JW is pointed to difficulties in JW org and he says: Yes, but look at the state of the world's political systems...

• Simon
    Simon
    By calling them "fake news" yes he has. If we were to wait until he actually did shut down the press, it would be too late wouldn't it...

He's done nothing that Obama didn't do. The fact is that free speech works for all, yes, even the president. People can then criticize him or applaud as they see fit.

The press are free to say what they like too and likewise, people can agree or disagree.

Still waiting to see some actual evidence of any 1st amendment attack happening.

It couldn't be that, OMG, the attach on the press and the 1st amendment itself is an example of fake news could it?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I gather all the news I neeed from the weather report.

• Simon
    Simon
    Re. the comparison to Obama: A thing I have noticed is that critique of Trump is nearly never addressed, but rather it is deflected by saying: but whatabout...
    Why is that? Have we given up on finding a solid moral grounding on which to evaluate our views on?

Well, the democrats gave up that ground already. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

This is why people should stick to positions and principles and NOT to any party or personality. It's much easier to defend a position and a principle and stick to it than to change based on who is doing something, because that always makes you look biased and hypocritical ... which is what the left is now doing on so many issues.

If you believe for instance that Obama's overuse of executive orders was wrong then you can claim Trump's are wrong too. But because the left didn't stand on principle they are unable to prosecute the case because it is so easy to say "but whatabout ..."

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

No President has ever attacked the news media as an institution until Trump.

John Adams was so concerned about foreign influence (the French) on our press, he signed into law the 1798 Sedition Act, which made publishing anything critical of the government illegal.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/24/sorry-journalists-trump-isnt-first-president-threaten-press/

LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit