What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    He's done nothing that Obama didn't do. The fact is that free speech works for all, yes, even the president. People can then criticize him or applaud as they see fit.
    The press are free to say what they like too and likewise, people can agree or disagree.
    Still waiting to see some actual evidence of any 1st amendment attack happening.
    It couldn't be that, OMG, the attach on the press and the 1st amendment itself is an example of fake news could it?

No, that isn't fake news. And no one has acted like this prior to Trump. To parrot Bohm "But whattabout..." is about where we are at as far as a defense of his behavior.

Re. the comparison to Obama: A thing I have noticed is that critique of Trump is nearly never addressed, but rather it is deflected by saying: but whatabout...
    Why is that? Have we given up on finding a solid moral grounding on which to evaluate our views on? Interestingly, this tactic is the bread-and-butter of the Russian TV propaganda.

Couldn't agree more. Get rid of real facts. Call everything that disagrees with you into question. You leave no room for anyone other than those that agree with you and encourage an atmosphere or paranoia and fear. Just like a good "leader" should.

Somehow, this is still the fault of media bias. *sigh*

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    No President has ever attacked the news media as an institution until Trump.
    John Adams was so concerned about foreign influence (the French) on our press, he signed into law the 1798 Sedition Act, which made publishing anything critical of the government illegal.

Great point LRG! Thanks.

• Simon
    Simon
    I gather all the news I need from the weather report.

Hey, that's fine if you've got nothing todo today but smile. :)

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    So you are saying that far-left SJW type leftist crybabies are ridiculous... and Trump is just about as ridiculous as they are...
    I guess I agree with that

That would be correct, the volatility runs deep, and the triggers are sensative

• Simon
    Simon
    ... made publishing anything critical of the government illegal

That sounds like an actual government restriction that violates the 1st amendment.

So "no one has done this until Trump" would be ... false.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Red Herring. With respect, no they haven't. No President has ever attacked the news media as an institution until Trump.

Just gonna leave this right here

Back in 2009, the press team had clearly set its sites on one news network in particular: Fox News Channel.

s Anita Dunn, the White House communications director at the time in an appearance on CNN:

“What I think is fair to say about Fox — and certainly it's the way we view it — is that it really is more a wing of the Republican Party. They take their talking points, put them on the air; take their opposition research, put them on the air. And that's fine. But let's not pretend they're a news network the way CNN is.”

The White House used its official blog to publicly call out what it labeled “Fox lies.” Politico referred to the sharp attack from the executive branch on a news organization as “unusual.” The White House also deliberately excluded Fox News from a round robin of presidential interviews in September 2009.

Dan Pffeifer, the White House deputy communications director, defended the administration's stance towards Fox this way:

“We simply decided to stop abiding by the fiction, which is aided and abetted by the mainstream press, that Fox is a traditional news organization."

This is just another example of the EMOTIONAL response to hating Trump, and actually BUYING everything the media is saying has you brainwashed. That everything he does is awful and unique. PLEASE START USING CRITICAL THINKING.

• bohm
    bohm

Simon:

but do you think it is right?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

When even Fox News says Trump has crossed a line, I think it's time to stop pretending what's happening here is neither novel nor disturbing. What Obama never did was call journalists "enemies of the people".

https://youtu.be/g7LQ3pkzUJs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Trump was elected as a disruptive force. He's disrupting politics, and media, maybe he can make these assholes come together and actually do something good for once. It's the whole populist thing. The two biggest things people distrust in this country

1. Politicians
    2. Media

The two things Trump is pissing on

1. Politicians
    2. Media

It's not brain surgery that it's less what he wants and more what the populist wants, and the more the media and politicians whine the more it shows people Trump is disrupting the system.

Again just playing devils advocate.

If he tried to censor the news, or shut it down I would be worried, but for now lets be honest people, he is just pissing them off. That really doesn't bother me.

• bohm
    bohm

SBF: Very good clip, watched it last week and forgot about it.

Rationalization can go as follows: Obama called ISIS the enemy of the American people. ISIS has a propaganda channel which employs journalists. Case closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit