What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I don't think wikileaks / Assange are anything but anarchists and backing by Russia wouldn't surprise me.

What do anarchists have to do with this?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Simon, I have no issue with you or anyone not trusting Hillary. I get that. And I voted for Hillary. Because she wasn't The Donald.... Because I don't trust him...

Biases exist everywhere. But having said that, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Without a free press, much would be at stake. And that is my biggest beef with Trump. He is a genuine p***y who can't handle the press. And that smacks against EVERYTHING the founding fathers wanted for this nation.

May I say that when I read your ops, it seems to me a bit naive to not recognize Putin's extreme interest in getting Russia back on a more even super power playing field with the United States. He is former KGB and by all accounts is a master intelligence operative. It isn't far fetched at all to surmise his attempts at influencing this past election. To what extent the influence worked, no one will ever agree. But there is no doubt, he was an influence...

Trump isn't Hillary. Message received. I get that. However, I worry that Trump's early supporters are turning a blind eye to the legit evidence that Trump is in bed with Putin. Do I think WWIII is imminent? No. Do I think Trump has a lot to hide? Hell yes I do! Just release the damn tax returns. That will start the healing, a healing he has demonstrated no interest in starting. And who can at all expose that if not a free press?

There does come a point where a leaders interest in governing a democracy comes into play. He has not engaged Congress. All of his actions are executive orders. Even more dangerous than trying to ban guns, he is attacking the very 1st amendment! Again, this is contrary to the intentions of the founders, and indeed, what caused the United States to become a super power in the first place.

What Senator McCain says IS true: a free society is free so long as there is a free press. Dictators always suppress dissent. You don't have to like what they say, but they are free to poke holes in the powers that be, until they are no longer allowed to by the powers that be. That is what should worry us all, imo.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I do think there's enough evidence to warrant some investigating, if only to prove that Trump isn't hiding something. What other possible reason could Trump have to not release his taxes?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

AllTimeJeff,

He is a genuine p***y...

Do I think WWIII is imminent?

What I do fear is that Trump's cowardly nature will allow Putin to invade other countries. That could spark WWIII.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Trump is brazen, and feels entitled. What concerns me is that he has no interest in furthering democracy, just his own power.

Btw, both parties are open to this criticism in the past. However, even at their very worst, I have never seen a Republican speak against the ideals of the founders the way Trump has. He has no respect for a very democratic institution, the free press. A press that has a proud tradition of over-reaching and promoting agendas at times. True. But within those confines of a free press comes the ability to hold the elected leaders accountable.

Trump must be held accountable by the press, or this isn't a democracy. That is the very FIRST amendment.

• Simon
    Simon

OK then, what have Wikileaks and Assange have to do with anything ...

it seems to me a bit naive to not recognize Putin's extreme interest in getting Russia back on a more even super power playing field with the United States.

I don't doubt it, but I think they have a long way to go. They don't have the economic might anymore. Much of what Putin does is to reinforce his position within Russia IMO. Everything he does is to project Russians attention away from their own domestic issues.

Trump must be held accountable by the press, or this isn't a democracy. That is the very FIRST amendment.

Sorry, but you're falling for the medias spin that the 1st amendment is all about them and they are the most important people on the planet, that the 4th estate is practically a branch of government.

Tell me something concrete that Trump has done that contravenes the 1st amendment or the freedom of the press. Seriously ... just don't waste my time with "he was rude to a reporter".

Or is it in fact all noise - piss and vinegar by the left. Lots of hand waving and outrage by the liberal press themselves, some great headlines ... but nothing of actual consequence.

Trump is an ass. But let's keep some perspective. Executive orders are nothing new, certainly not after Obama who used them constantly.

Take a step back. Take a deep breath. Look at what you are being told by the media is happening, then think about whether it is actually happening. Look up at the sky, is it really falling? Now think about the people who are creating the noise ... who do they serve? Do they have a vested interest in trying to undermine the presidency of the USA? Have any pieces of sky hit you while doing this?

Just because someone has hit the fire alarm, it doesn't mean there's a fire. They may just want you out of the building.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

OK then, what have Wikileaks and Assange have to do with anything ...

That's not an explanation. You made the statement about the anarchists. I'm simply asking what their role is.

• minimus
    minimus

If you repeat that Trump is a danger to the country 100 times a day, you might start believing it. I'm just so sick of the nutty liberal agenda. They stated from the beginning that they would not acknowledge Trump as the President! So honestly, I disregard their cries and their demagoguery.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

If you repeat that Trump is a danger to the country 100 times a day, you might start believing it. I'm just so sick of the nutty liberal agenda. They stated from the beginning that they would not acknowledge Trump as the President! So honestly, I disregard their cries and their demagoguery.

1. Trump is incompetent and a danger to this nation.
    2. Trump is still incompetent and a danger to this nation.
  • azor
    azor

Damn VI now that's commitment.

Minimus you're admired Breitbart is sure in a mess right now. What a trusted source they're turning out to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit