What is your opinion of the news media?

by minimus 491 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    Where was your sense of outrage about the media when there were dozens of fake and completely inaccurate stories floated about Obama and HRC?

Such as?

• bohm
    bohm

Simon:

Defense of free speech is in my view linked to a defense of a free press; you can't have one without the other. It took about 1 month for Lenin to call the press the enemy of the people in 1917 and now here we have Trump doing the same. I think that is quite chilling.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

CNN was on the bandwagon. Be impartial if u can.....Minimus

I try to be Mini, I just don`t see it..

BuzzFeed trashed Trump with no evidence..

CNN pointed out the lack of evidence..

At worst..

We`ll have to agree, to disagree..

• DJS
    DJS

Such as? I can't effing believe you typed that into your keyboard Simon. You're losing touch with reality.

Obama is a Muslim. Obama is Gay. Birther conspiracies. The Clinton connection to pedophilia and the pizzeria. Et al.

Radio host Sean Hannity on Tuesday embraced a piece of fake news about President Obama deleting endorsements of Hillary Clinton from his Twitter account.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michael-flynn-conspiracy-pizzeria-trump-232227

An empirical view from Stanford U:

https://web.stanford.edu/~gentzkow/research/fakenews.pdf

"For example, during the 2016 campaign, Donald Trump and various online media outlets reopened speculation that Bill Clinton aide Vince Foster had been murdered, whereas the five investigations into his death had concluded that it was a suicide (Kessler 2016). Four official investigations were completed between 1993 and 1995, all of which concluded that his death was a suicide (Kessler 2016). In 1997, independent counsel Kenneth Starr released a fifth report on the matter, concluding that “In sum, based on all of the available evidence, which is considerable, the [Office of Independent Counsel] agrees with the conclusion reached by every official entity that has examined the issue: Mr. Foster committed suicide” (Kessler 2016). Figure 7 illustrates how divergent conclusions on factual issues predates the social media era: as of 1995, 20 percent of Americans reported believing that Foster had been murdered."

There are dozens, if not hundreds more. And you well know it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There are dozens, if not hundreds more [fake and inaccurate stories about Obama and HRC] - interesting.

It reminds me of what Minimus said in his OP: To me they have an agenda and they really don't care about professional journalism. Most are untrustworthy and that's a shame.

It seems as if you're agreeing with Minimus after all.

• DJS
    DJS

@mini me: "Be impartial if you can"

What the eff? You're the most partial person on a site of biased partisans. And the biggest hypocrite.

Fact check all media. Every one of them. Believe nothing until you have.

• minimus
    minimus

BJS....it seems as if you have some issues that you need to attend to. Get a grip boy.

• DJS
    DJS

mini me. you made this OP. Own it. You don't give a rip about media fairness. If they are unfairly lying about the Dems you're standing behind them giving high fives and fist bumping.

Hypocrite.

I've asked you to provide evidence that refutes the media's fact checking of Lying Donald and you provided none.

Hypocrite.

I've asked you why you had no moral outrage at the media when they lied about Obama and HRC., and you remain silent.

Hypocrite.

Your true colors are showing. Again. You should be viewed as a troll and ignored.

Hypocrite.

• minimus
    minimus

BJS... as a liberal, do you have a mental disorder? You appear to be angry and mentally unstable. Perhaps you need another checkup? Or do I know you somehow? You seem to have a personal issue with me. Did I discipline you or disfellowship you back in the day? Or is it simply that you imagine that you can come on sites like these and think that you can bully people? Take a deep breath and realize that most people here and in real life don't give two shits what your opinion is. Take a reality check and recognize that most people will not think of you when they wake up tomorrow. Please get a grip before You take another hissy fit.

• Simon
    Simon
    Such as? I can't effing believe you typed that into your keyboard Simon. You're losing touch with reality.
    Obama is a Muslim. Obama is Gay. Birther conspiracies. The Clinton connection to pedophilia and the pizzeria. Et al.

Here's the difference:

Those are not the fake news that the likes of CNN push. You are using those extreme fringe examples to claim there was a campaign against Hillary which there was by some, but certainly not by the mainstream media.

However, they definitely DO have an agenda when it comes to certain leftist issues that they want to push.

Where is the outrage of the left about those lies? Not only don't we see them, we see the debunked lies repeated over and over and over, even by Hillary and herself and her surrogates. It is considerably worse when the main stream media promote lies and spin compared to when fringe blog does it.

The bottom line is: we haven't had a real free and impartial press for some considerable time. The left didn't care when it was their guy in charge. I have no problem with Trump bitch-slapping them as they need it and he's the only one that would.

Finally DJS: You have been warned about your language. Consider this your final warning. Review the community guidelines and posting rules.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit