It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars (continued)

by Simon 2594 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

^ What a sorry looking lump of shit. The blonde hair thing......it's like trying to polish a turd.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Ron. W.: Perhaps he thought in the future he would be able to retire and live a non jw life of ease on the strength of these and other donations..

That would have been a possibility if he knew what he was doing. As others are pointing out, he doesn't plan. He doesn't understand the effects of his actions or the ramifications of his decisions. He was making more than the average person in Croatia, possibly by a very healthy margin. And his expenses should have been small since his in-laws were providing him with living space. Even accounting for his extracurricular activities, he should have been living well below his means and building up a sizable nest egg.

• Chinapomo
    Chinapomo

The problem with people like Lloyd is that they never learned to manage their life and money.

It was mentioned in his book how broke he was as a jw to the point he barely had any money when he left UK. That has nothing to do with being a jw. It's a money management issue.

I know because he keeps talking about how poor he has been in several other occasions and I'm sure he squandered all the money he got when people were still donating a lot up until a couple of years ago.

People like Lloyd never learn because they are too proud to admit they have any issues in the first place.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Funny, Lloyd never seems to be short of money to take Holidays every 3 months? Prostitutes and mind-altering drugs also aren't free. Wonder if HE turns tricks? LOL....what am I saying? People would pay him to keep his clothes on and go away!

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Perhaps that was stated at a time prior to him realising that it was financially lucrative?

I have reasons to believe that is precisely what happened. It began with grateful exJWs taking pity upon him and his young family's financial situation and taking them on trips, even building their attic flat for them. The baby shower was a revelation to him in that he actually had to tell people to stop sending them gifts.

If people are willing to pay money for building supplies and baby gifts, all in gratitude for the videos he made, why can't they start sending money?

That's what happened. It was too lucrative to pass up on, especially for a man who was and is averse to working a real job and wanted to become his own boss, deciding when to work and for how long. The Australia trip I'll never fully comprehend how people donating to him for the trip whilst also keeping up their Patreon pledges at the same time appeared to not see any correlation with how the JWs operate - especially with the convention arrangement. From the few I spoke to afterwards, they seemed to have buyer's remorse after meeting their hero in person and how self-infatuated he was. He wasn't capable of carrying on a normal conversation between friends, but rather one of self-promotion. I think that was the peak of grifting abilities and he had to have come home satisfied that it was all comped and hardly a cent had to come out of his personal stash.

Staying this long in exJW activism was never his long term plan. I think he felt that his book would catapult him into the realm of writers and commentators, and he'd be a regular guest on news outlets talking about religious and political matters.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think that book displays his ignorance of how to go about being a successful author. Publishers guidelines exist for a reason. A memoir should be about 80,000 words, that's well under 400 pages. No one outside the JW or XJW communities (and probably a good number inside that community) wants to read 800 pages about Jehovah's Witnesses. He seriously needs an editor to take an axe to that monster.

There is a cure for ignorance: research, education and hard work. My first published book was the second one I wrote (and has nothing to do with JW's). I suspect that Lloyd made a rookie mistake, one I will confess to making myself. When you get your manuscript done, don't wrap it up an start trying to sell it. It isn't ready by a long shot.

And even if you do manage to get something sold, odds are you won't come close to selling enough to live on. That's just how it is.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Good points Jeff, thank you,

My shallow mind kept asking 'Should Lloyd humping a Christmas Tree in the book have been pruned, or is it vital to the narrative!?'

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Jeff you make many valid points, but at the end of the day he has sold tens of thousands of copies of his book. How many copies have you sold? So who is in a position to teach who, what here? Not trying to be mean, or a LE defender, but in terms of what he wanted to achieve - money and influence - his book was a roaring success. I’m not disputing it’s a rubbish book. I’m sure it’s complete crap. So are many of the bestsellers: Da Vinci Code, Fifty Shades, many self-help books, misery memoirs, pseudo-history and so on, fail to meet the standards of their genre yet generate huge incomes for authors who couldn’t care less if you, or any other expert, thinks a memoir should be under 400 pages.
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Slim, where do you get the information that he's sold thousands of books?

He's ranked 86th in books about Jehovah's Witnesses and 67,000 and change in biographies.

For a comparison William Schnell's "Thirty Years a Watchower Slave" is 9th.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one
    No one outside the JW or XJW communities (and probably a good number inside that community) wants to read 800 pages about Jehovah's Witnesses.

Exactly! Other than his pathetic posts on this forum, I've never read or had the desire to read anything that SlobLloyd has written. The posts on this forum were bad enough. 800 pages? Can you imagine how bad the toilet smells after he's been in there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit