Breaking News: Anthony Morris III no longer serving on the Governing Body

by WingCommander 760 Replies latest jw friends

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

The age cap was for the Coordinator of the Botty of Eldurrs.

• New day
    New day

Fisherman, you’ve got a right to your opinion and so do I. I was really an elder and I am relating my own experience. You are brilliant at insulting people on this board. You question my honesty by questioning whether I was ever an elder or JW.. You also infer that people I “slighted” would now get their own back by making comments about me now that I am on the same level. Insults all round. Well done!

• fedup
    fedup

For JWs, image, status and power is everything. The GB is well aware that removing another member will cause a stain on the whole organization. The chosen by God member can be in a hospital, all plugged in and about to propel himself into heaven, he won't step down, the other members won't allow it. Their position as GBs are too high to leave without repurcussions. If anything, the Org will promote the crap out of the situation and say what a wonderful example he was during his whole JW career, a tribute to his faith while he's on his deathbed. I'm positive that the current GB will never talk or mention this guy again. He screwed up and got kicked out. Their silence is their way of dealing with the aituation and they hope it won't cause too much damage. Anyone being around this Org for many years are very familiar with this MO. - I'm so Fedup with these guys...

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Fisherman in the two congregations I attended I rarely heard of any announcement of an elder ceasing to be an elder, but when I did hear of such I did not assume the worst. I knew that people could loose interest in being a elder, or a ministerial servant, just as they could loose interest in being a regular pioneer.

I had quit being a regular pioneer due to burn out and due to never enjoying spending so much time and effort in field service, and because of desiring to pursue a better career. I had gone to college to get a great career and had completed college (and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration) three months after I had become a regular pioneer, but was only working part-time because of the hours requirement (90 hours per month or 1000 hours per year, of field service time, not to mention the time preparing for return visits and talking points to be used in the field) of regular pioneering. After being a pioneer after nearly 3 full years, for a month or two a number of people in my congregation said things to me indicating they thought I was still a pioneer. I thus felt compelled to tell them I had quit. An announcement during the meetings was never made to the congregation that I was no longer a pioneer. I wondered why it wasn't, since i thought such announcements did not necessarily mean the former pioneer had done something wrong. I had thought that such announcements were required to be made when a person ceased being a regular pioneer, for any reason (not just for doing something bad or for not meeting the requirements). I had wished that such an announcement had been made about me, so I wouldn't have to tell people week after week that I quit being a regular pioneer. When I told people that I quit being a regular pioneer they looked sad, but that puzzled me because I had never intended to be a regular pioneer for the rest of my life. But in hindsight, I guess if an announcement had been made, then many people would ask me why I am no longer a pioneer and I would have felt compelled to tell them that I had quit, so they would know I had not been removed as a pioneer and had not become disqualified to be a pioneer.

Multiple times during the years I was a ministerial servant I had thought of resigning as a ministerial servant. Multiple times I even considered resigning as a ministerial servant by me making an announcement from the platform of the kingdom hall (at a time when I was assigned by an elder to give announcements he had written down) that I was no longer a ministerial servant (and possibly also saying I had resigned). One reason I thought of doing such (in the congregation of which I was first a ministerial servant) was because an elder had announced to the congregation I had become a ministerial servant, even though prior to that I had not been informed I was chosen to be a ministerial servant or even asked if I wanted to be one. I had wished they had asked me first and I had resented that they hadn't. [In the second congregation I attended I was asked first and I accepted it, but multiple times I later thought of quitting being one in that congregation also. Eventually I did cease being one.] I had also thought that if in my first congregation if an elder would complain of me quitting that way with me making an announcement of such without the approval of the elders, then I would reply: "Well, I was appointed as a ministerial servant without my pre-approval and it was announced that I was a ministerial servant without me ever being informed that such would be announced, thus I thought I would quit without telling the elders of my intention and announce it without their approval". However I never did make such an announcement and never did quit being a ministerial servant at that first congregation, though obviously I ceased being one there after I moved to a second congregation.

Readers, regarding Raymond Franz becoming disfellowshipped and the circumstances of such, if I recall correctly from reading his autobiography, the process of him being investigated by the WT headquarters for possible disfellowshipping started soon after the following. In the congregation Franz was attending the elder body had decided to appoint Franz as an elder and had submitted their recommendation. The governing body of the WT strongly disliked that and thus sought some grounds to prevent such and to oust Franz from the WT's JW religion. The WT soon adopted a policy that if a JW eats a meal with a person who disassociated himself/herself from being a JW then the JW eating with such a person would be subject to disfellowshipping (if unrepentant of eating with the officially ex-JW).

As a side note, yesterday a JW woman (whose voice sounded like that of an elderly person), attending a kingdom hall of the territory of which my home is located in, called me to engage in witnessing (about the topic of "does God answer prayers"). I told her I am an inactive JW who wishes to remain inactive (and I mentioned the name of the congregation I last attended). I also told her "but I wish you a great day".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WING COMMANDER & EVERYBODY:

Just yesterday I spoke to one of my few JW friends.

I told them that I heard Anthony Morris is no longer a governing body member and I asked what happened. I was told I was mistaken and that he fairly recently gave a talk (for whatever). I said I heard he was out. Again, I was told that whatever I heard must be ‘wrong’. I let it drop and changed the subject.

This certainly tells me (as if I didn’t already know).. that there is a news blackout among the rank & file Witnesses. It isn’t openly talked about. If this person didn’t hear about it, no doubt there are others who haven’t heard it either.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

LongHairGal have you thought of directing them to the WT's web page where they list the current governing body members and point out to them that Anthony Morris III is not included in the list (or while showing them the web page, asking them why his name is not included in the list)?

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Regarding why AM3 is no longer on the GB, the real reason is still only speculative at the moment, but aside from that, I've been trying to work out why the announcement was suddenly taken off the website. Surely it can't be that the decision might be reversed? Is there some kind of dispute, maybe even threat of legal action from AM3, about it? Even so, he has been removed from the list of names, and the picture featuring him has been changed, so that seems unlikely.

Then it occurred to me that the most likely reason is probably the one that best fits with human behaviour (as it often is): When the word got around (as we know it does on the JW grapevine) the HQ and branches have probably been flooded with calls and emails asking what happened, so the mothership decided to pull the plug on the announcement to damp down the fuss. They're probably hoping to slow the spread of the news and rumours, and so far it seems that's been successful, since the R&F are trained not to (at least openly) spread gossip.

That also fits the trend in recent years for the Org to be over-reactive, rather than thinking ahead and being more slow to act as the old GB used to be - post up the notice, then hastily pull it when the proverbial stuff hits the fan!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DISILLUSIONED JW:

I sent you a private message. You do read them, right?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

More news emerging:

Turns out Anthony was a vocal fan of The Last Jedi, even going so far as saying it was the best out of all Star Wars movies. He was going to tell the bethel family all about it, and how great it was to see a movie that subverted so many expectations. When Tony showed up to a GB meeting wearing a Rian Johnson fan T-shirt, they did what they had to do.

• inbetween
    inbetween

Two days ago, a reliable source, who has connections to personal acquiantances of AMIII told me the real reason: Health issues.

Now of course, it still could be a cover up, maybe for alcohol problems etc, but we may that never find out for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit