Whats the best internet music file sharing thingy....?

by ScoobySnax 118 Replies latest jw friends

• Makena1
    Makena1

HS - I am fairly certain that I chatted with J C Young about 20 years ago at a bar in Tahoe. If it wasn't him, he has a double out there.

Another folky type artist whose music I really enjoy is John Gorka. Small world, his wife is best friends with a grade school friend who is connected with NPR. John apparently is doing something similar - promoting his own music via the web and providing snippets of his songs.

http://www.johngorka.com/

I have purchased several of J Gorka's CD's - and sing and play some of his music on guitar.

BTW - I might have missed it, but what are your feelings regarding purchasing used CD's at a discount store?

Mak

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Mak,

Thanks for the Gorka information and link. I am embarrased to say that I have not heard him, but I certainly will. Great web site.

BTW - I might have missed it, but what are your feelings regarding purchasing used CD's at a discount store?

Well this is a different scenario. If the musician signed contracts with a record company without standardizing a 'per piece' sales amount, they deserve all they get! Normally a musician is paid a negotiated 'per piece' price regardless of what agreement the store and record companies reach with regards to quantity and discount. We have on this Board a Lawyer who specializes in the music industry and I am sure he can fill us in on the finer details.

Speaking of greedy record Companies and folk music, Bert Jansch sold his first album inspirationally entitled, 'Bert Jansch', to Atlantic Records for 100 pounds! It is still a folk best-seller and he has never been offered a penny more!

We were all very foolish in those days.

HS

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    ZOIKS!!!! Gee, scoob, I would think after all your talk about how great god, the jw's etc. are that you would'nt steal, or you atleast would follow Caesars law. I feel stumbled

First, the laws of each country varies. If memory serves me right, the Napster trial showed that U.S. law allows an individual to give two copies of music to others. Napster got nailed on this law because it was centralized. However, more modern file sharing programs are designed to take automatically advantage of the legal loophole. Hence, grabbing music off the Internet may not be illegal.

XenaWarrior has told me one of her hobbies is downloading music and burning music CDs as gifts. She can customize the CD according to the tastes of the receiptent. Mac is one who has expressed appreciation for a CD from her. Purchasing CDs from stores does not allow for this kind of thoughtfulness, not to mention the fun of listening to music and selecting exactly the right songs for the one you love. This makes for an inexpensive, but very thoughtful gift. Someday the record companies will allow pay-per-song downloading of any song, but we aren't there yet.

I understand the concerns from those who wish people paid for all music. I hope they also don't record shows or movies from the TV, because this is a breach of copyright law. The ethics are much the same in both cases.

Ethical or not, music downloading is here to stay. The business model has changed, and the record industry will adapt or die. Most likely adapt. The software industry had similar problems with file sharing, piracy, and open software. These issues have not killed the industry, nor has it lessened the number of software millionaires.

Richard

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I used to use songspy pretty frequently until it was shut down earlier this year. I have stayed away from p2p . I have heard mixed reviews about morpheus and kaaza. All of the programs install some sort of spyware and your still susceptible to viruses. Get a good antivirus.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I have read through this whole thread now and this is an issue I really struggle with ethically. I have downloaded on Kazaa, but I have limited it to those songs I already have and those that are very difficult or impossible to find. Is this wrong? Probably so, at least with the law as it now stands.

However, I would like to point out that the current laws are grossly inadequate for the technology at hand. There is precedent for this situation. Back in the mid to late 70's when Sony introduced the Beta Max VCR (VTR back then) there was a massive copyright lawsuit in which the American networks joined in arguing that their broadcasts were copyright protected. Before the Supreme Court ruled that videotaping off of TV is not illegal, all those thousands of people (including me) were in violation of the law.

Hillary, correct me if I am wrong, but also wasn't there a legal flap over the introduction of cassettes? As I recall the music industry was fearful that one person would buy a record (ah for the days of vinyl) and then several dozen people would copy it using the casettes. I believe I recall that they took the matter to court. I don't recall the specific outcome however.

One last little history point. I remember when CDs began to replace vinyl records. The prices were nearly double that of the old records. The justification used at that time was that it was so expensive to burn CDs and that the prices would come down eventually. Well, they never did. CDs are markedly more expensive (even factoring in inflation) than the vinyl records ever were and it is far less expensive now to burn a CD than it was to make a vinyl record.

I think most consumers are angry and feel as if they are being ripped off. I think this anger is used to justify their defiance of current copyright law. I also think the anger is somewhat justified. How to resolve the situation? I don't know. But I guess my point is that technology has far outstripped current copyright law. This needs to be addressed. I do think there can be a middle ground that can be found whereby consumers and the music industry can meet.

• rem
    rem

It's not stealing or theft - it's copyright infringement. It's not exactly analogous to stealing a rolex.

It is not illegal to have backup copies of your music. If you already own a copy on tape/vinyl/8track/MiniDisc/etc. then you should not have to purchase another CD copy to play it on your computer or back it up. I fail to see how downloading music hurts the artist in this situation.

Tapes used to be much less expensive than CD's, even though CD's cost less to make. Have CD's reduced in price to the tape level? If not, why not? Inflation? (I've never bought vinyl - not sure how much that costs now or used to cost)

I've seen statistics go both ways on the argument that Internet music sharing affects CD sales. Are there any good studies on this lately? Actually, I'd like to go further than this and see if artists themselves - not just CD sales - have been negatively or positively impacted. That is the 64k question. Unfortunately, I think the evidence is only anecdotal so far.

rem

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Now, perhaps someone who defends the stealing of music via the Internet might answer the question that I have posed a number of times and that not one person has attempted to answer. Why do you not steal from the greedy Companies who make huge profits like the electricty suppliers , motor-vehicle manufacturers, drug companies etc. etc. etc. Not that I have any love for Record Companies, but why single them out for this treatment? Could it be that because it is easier to steal music the rationale then becomes to blame record companies ethics for our own lack of ethics?

Most people steal because they won't get caught. However, you haven't convinced anyone that downloading music is legally stealing. It depends on your country.

BTW, if you try to steal electricity and you screw up, it can kill you. Now there is a motive not to steal electricity. I know how to handle electricity, and you won't get me tapping into the wires that are before my electrical meter. Not while they are live and can pump hundreds or thousands of amps through my heart. Only a few thousandths of a amp will kill you. And I am one of the few who could do it and live.

I used to work for the phone company. Due to our equipment being after the billing equipment, we could make long distance phone calls anywhere in the world without a record of the call being left. The creative souls in the office could even patch in a buddy from his home phone.

Being a good Dub wannabe, I did not do this; instead I paid $250/month for my personal long distance. My coworkers would argue that there was no cost to the phone company, and no revenue lost. Their arguments were valid.

Why did they do it? It was free, and they would not get caught. Even if they did, they would only be asked by our boss to stop. Making personal long distance calls was against company policy. We could call anywhere in the world for business reasons.

Incidentally, just so you know, if you make a long distance phone call, your home address can be traced. Yes, both during and after the call. And yes, even if you use a calling card to hide your location. There is a trick to it, which we employees knew because our jobs involved tracing calls for the police. Even when a suicidal person hangs up the phone, we can still complete the trace and grab their address. This works with only long distance calls; the equipment used for local phone calls is different.

Also, to feed the very paranoid, your phone calls are listened to. At night, the employees will look for calls about sex to get their jollies. They are legally allowed to listen to a live conversation for 7 seconds; with computers, they can listen forever legally (the computer disconnects and immediately reconnects every 7 seconds).

In the daytime, we had a room where people monitored and took notes on phone calls. We were told this was highly illegal, and we were to deny it existed if asked. They claim that random calls were listened to to ensure that operators were polite to customers and to ensure no one was abusing the phone system. Both reasons seemed bogus to me, but both my employer and my union went along with it. I have no idea what they actually used it for; my employer gave us a work order to move the monitoring wires (held on by two big clamps) to a certain circuit, and we did. The thought just occurred to me that with computers following the 7 second rule, this may now be legal.

BTW, the phone company I worked for was owned by the government and that the union contract required that all work orders be followed.

So, what I am saying is that people and companies will break the law when they can get away with it.

Richard

• ikhandi
    ikhandi
    BTW, if you try to steal electricity and you screw up, it can kill you. Now there is a motive not to steal electricity. I know how to handle electricity, and you won't get me tapping into the wires that are before my electrical meter. Not while they are live and can pump hundreds or thousands of amps through my heart. Only a few thousandths of a amp will kill you. And I am one of the few who could do it and live.

Damn that was funny skeptic

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Also, has anyone noticed that the quality of many mp3s often sucks? All too often, a professionally compiled CD is much better. The music companies aren't going broke anytime soon.

Richard

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Damn that was funny skeptic

Thanks, ikhandi

Richard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit