Whats the best internet music file sharing thingy....?

by ScoobySnax 118 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

Now, to make it worse, you tell us that we should pay the record companies so they can pay the artist so they can pay some of it back to pay for the promotional material and adverts!

That is exactly what happens. I have no love of record companies, at least the larger labels, and am glad that many musicians are fighting back with the vehicle of self-promotion. Buying a CD bar-code is not expensive. If a person self -promotes he can begin breaking even, often after just 5,000 CD sales. If they do this however, and their music continues to be stolen, it will damage them even more personally and financially than is happening at present. All I can say is there is now a whole generation of people out there who think music comes free, and in the final event that can only damage musicians and the art of music.

As to playing live, well this works very well for the big stars who are rich anyway from record sales anyway, but most musicians do not fall into this league. There are only so many venues that can be played on the road before fatigue sets in, and clearing $500 per night after expenses is not exactly the American Dream...lol

HS

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Call me a theif...I love music sharing software...I've burned tons of CD's from Kazaa! Viva Kazaa baby!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

......So run that past me again !!!! "Kazza" is the one? I'll give it a go! ps thanx Matt, Ballistic et al

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hilary I know some good musicians who would gladly play live for 500 dollars a night, not to mention merchandising. I don't blame KaZaa for them not getting the opportunity though.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Call me a theif...I love music sharing software...I've burned tons of CD's from Kazaa! Viva Kazaa baby!

You are a THIEF, and a THEIF as well, may you burn in your CD Hell....lol To have such pride without really attempting to understand the issues behind the issue shows ignorance.

Why are you proud to be a thief?

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Ballistic,

Hilary I know some good musicians who would gladly play live for 500 dollars a night, not to mention merchandising. I don't blame KaZaa for them not getting the opportunity though.

Do you know the cost of flying from Boston to Seattle these days...lol Zooming in a van along the M1 is far less costly, remember the musician pays his own way including his travel expenses, apart of course from hotel rooms and usually only if this is agreed. I act as a booking agent for a number of high profile musicians, I know how much they make.

You miss my point. Simon suggested that musicians take to the road and earn their keep. My point is that if you have ever tried it, you will know why tours have to be limited in duration, as fatigue quickly sets and family life crumbles, especially when touring a place the size of the US. This point had nothing to do with people stealing music, but the basic performing life of a musician. Have any of these musicians you mention who would gladly play for $500 ( around $300 ) as a band had any charted CD's? If they have tell them I will sign them on immediately....lol

Now, perhaps someone who defends the stealing of music via the Internet might answer the question that I have posed a number of times and that not one person has attempted to answer. Why do you not steal from the greedy Companies who make huge profits like the electricty suppliers , motor-vehicle manufacturers, drug companies etc. etc. etc. Not that I have any love for Record Companies, but why single them out for this treatment? Could it be that because it is easier to steal music the rationale then becomes to blame record companies ethics for our own lack of ethics?

Apart from my own personal stake in this, it does seem like a grotesque sort of double standard to me.

HS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Watching this thread with interest. Always a fascinating discussion.

...it does seem like a grotesque sort of double standard to me.

A double standard I'll grant you, but I see it as much to common to be grotesque. Then again, some women think men are grotesque, lol.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    You are a THIEF, and a THEIF as well, may you burn in your CD Hell....lol To have such pride without really attempting to understand the issues behind the issue shows ignorance.

Why are you proud to be a thief?

hillary_step - You better believe I'm burning in my CD hell and loving every minute not paying for music! I have a suggestion for you: Don't use Kazaa or any other file sharing software! Simple as that. Why am I pround to be a file-swapping-music theif? Cause it's fun. I do understand other people's issues as to why they belive it's wrong....does it mean I care? Hell no!

*Off to burn in CD hell hehehehehehehe* I should change my screen name to BurningInHell4usingKazaa just for hillary_step

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol.

And there you have it....

• Nomad Soul
    Nomad Soul

AOL user? That's the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit