Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

by Wounded Heart 95 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Francois
    Francois

It's amazing how many people I've run across in the years during and after my partner disclosed her many personalities. They seem to be everywhere. It's also amazing how inventive adults can be in the many ways they dream up to abuse little kids. I was abused, but not to the point of elaborating new personalities to deal with the abuse and then casting up an amniestic wall between myself and them...at least so far as I know now.

And it is true, as implied above, that kids who survive by elaborating personalities to take the abuse tend to be way above average in intelligence and creativity. Good for them.

And there is something about being the partner of a person with MPD, especially if you love that person: it will bring out the very best in the partner; it causes one to be as sensitive, and caring, and compassionate as you know how to be. And it certainly teaches you to put someone else ahead of your own self and its needs. Of course, the person with MPD can engage in forms of abuse themselves and when that happens, all bets are off. It's a complex situation to have to deal with, and no one deserves to have to have it to do.

My very best to all survivors. You're truly a special group.

Francoise

• goo
    goo

hey wounded heart, thanks for telling what you told of your story. goo.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello to WoundedHeart:

Thank you for sharing your invaluable story with us and thanks too to Francoise, Mommie Dark, emyrose and Waiting for adding your experiences. My only knowledge of these disorders comes from the movies based on true stories like Sybil and 3 Faces of Eve.

We all need to be educated in DID and MPD, especially those who are still trapped in the beliefs that so many JWs have about these disorders...that the personalities are actually demon-possession. (I've don't remember if that is the official stand of the org.or not...I'll have to look it up)

I could never believe that was the cause whatsoever, so I was considered spiritually weak for thinking contrary, by those who promoted that belief. I've always believed it was tool of escapism for the victim, but I wish I understood more.

The education you provide us from you experiences is priceless. Please continue to help us understand more if you feel you can. Thank you so much!!!

Had Enough

• Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

im so grateful for all the support and interest youve all shown. we are overwhelmed in trying to answer all and so here are a few responses to start.

1st of all, this url will give you some places to start to get info about DIDness. the links range from general info to the controversial to personal accounts. the url is: http://www.mosaicminds.org/rroom/nindex.shtml
    for those who are DID and are needing a place to meet other DIDs the main site is MosaicMinds.org where you will find access to the message board.

now, taking this 1 response at a time--from the top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    HIPPIKON: my intro at this url states my jw background. its at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?site=3&id=4065&page=3
    as for how the elders have dealt with us--they havent. they are not informed enough. and, tho i offered info on how to deal with me/us, they never bothered to take an interest. they did not bother with me. after i stopped going to meetings, even tho i gave them a 3 page typewritten letter as to how to deal with me, they did not follow heed. i asked for kindness, caring, reassurance that i matter to Jah---basically the fruitages of the spirit, deal with me the way Jesus would. they decided not to bother with me....after 27yrs of being the in the same congregation. and they had no comment on the DID dx.

THINKERS WIFE: i have found your posts to be ones that i seek out. i too feel a connection there. thank you for the offered support.

more to come.....

Wounded Heart

Love by giving to & accepting others unconditionally = true, pure love

• waiting
    waiting

hey wounded,

So far, no studies have disconfirmed the finding that about 10% of people in the general population will suffer from a dissociative disorder at some time in their lives. More conservative estimates based on sophisticated statistical analyses of DES scores set the figure closer to 3% - even 3%, however, means about 10 million cases in North America. If we set the revalence of full clinical DID at about 0.1%, this means hundreds of thousands of current cases in North America.

A reasonable conclusion from the existing data is that DID and the other dissociative disorders are unlikely to be rare in the general population. DID could be about as conunon as schizophrenia and bipolar mood disorder, but also might prove to be only one tenth as frequent, - from the website

Thanks for the link. I've read a little there, will go back and read more. Nice to know that there's company out there.

waiting

• Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

hello again...hope this finds you all doing well. just wanted to get back to answering the questions raised while i had the where-with-all (concentration and energy). so here goes....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    EMYROSE: what has helped me most to deal with all this? hmmm well its a matter of a few different things. first was talking with a T (therapist). another was having a really good friend to talk to. also, i found the above message board and read what others are going thru. i did group therapy for abuse survivors. i tried a group T for DID folks but it was peer run and basically sucked. journal writing helped alot. art collage work helped alot. seeing a psychiatrist was very helpful--i need meds to deal with the depression and anxiety. its not just one thing but rather alot of different things that help. every part helps. and talking. talking to others--whether it be a T or a friend or family. all of it helps. acknowledging what the probs are. i learned its best to feed little bits at a time to family/friends, until you can gage how they react.

for me and my system (all the inside people make up our system), DID is important to survival. even now. not that were being abused cause we arnt. but rather cause we get triggered alot and switching helps keep us safe. at this point there is NO plan to *I*(integrate). we are dealing with the issues and the traumas as they surface. our T is very supportive and agrees that if we dont want to *I* then we dont have to. so we are in control of what we want for our system. this is the 1st T that allows us to control our T(therapy)--Finally!

what brings me joy? lots of things. we are working on not being so negative thinking. we have lived sooooo long just waiting for the "axe" to fall. we just assume negative things will happen to us. so we are working on that now. joy has started to be more and more in past year. we love our cousins, play with the 11yr old all the time, love our computer, love the air, love thunderstorms (ironically the negative ion in the air--love that feeling), our family, our friends, we love our stuffies (stuffed animals), the list goes on & on. about friends: ive made a few internet friends that i actually talk to and am planning on meeting them in the very near future. one of them has become one of our bestest friends. one of my lils (younger alters) talk to her all the time.

please feel free to email me if youd like to talk more. or if you have other questions that youd rather ask in email. i hope some of this helps.
    Mommie Dark - you are right, dissociation happens quite frequently. a friend of mine, with abuse history, had to work thru different ages of when the abuse happened in order to heal. however, dissociation has many different levels. none of her dissociating led to actual personalities. you are so right about dissociating being a natural way to handle the difficulties and traumas in our lives. we have HUGE losses of memory--even from a few years ago, last week, whatever affects us with huge stress or intense to moderate pain. so we are still dissociating to this day. it just too much to remember. theres just so much pain. when mom was dying of cancer, i was her caretaker. i dont remember that time. i dont remember she died. but yet, i dont remember her very well either. she was my twin. my best friend. i loved her soooooooooooooooooo much. it hurts to think of her. so i dissociate and create this black hole memory. endless black holes in my life.

im sorry to hear that youve had to deal with painful things that created your actor personalities. no one should have to go thru any of that.

thank you for the kind words mommie dark. my reason for talking about this is two fold. i needed to be accepted for who and how we are. but we also needed others...esp jws to know that it is OK to be DID/MPD. that they should be proud for the creative way they kept themselves safe.
    more to come.....

Wounded Heart

• waiting
    waiting

Well, I'll try for the third time,

Hello, Wounded Heart.

It is a rare treat to find "like minded" persons, whether in real life or in our web lives. It would be nice if we could speak with each other. If not, you're choice.

I was a jw for 30 years. A couple of years ago, my husband & I were at a computer class, primarily made up of jw's. During a break, several of us got to talking. One was bi-polar, another a victim of sex abuse by his high school teacher, and myself (along with two husbands of ours). One thing we all had in common was that we had no one to talk to about being a jw with these problems. We were totally isolated except for our mates. And the bi-polar's husband's way of responding to the stress of our speaking about "such things" was to crack stupid jokes.

We talked for a half hour and the elder (sex abuse by male teacher) cried openly. We were all in therepy but none of us wanted to give up the preciousness of actually speaking face to face with another who would say "I know how you feel." We knew others were listening to us, but we didn't care - the rare opportunity of our speaking wasn't something we could pass up.

If we don't communicate, no problem. But I'll miss the rare opportunity you've passed up.

waiting

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

waiting: sometimes speaking face to face is just too...intimate...for a wounded heart to bear. I still have trouble being touched (physically, spiritually, emotionally) even when I am pretty sure it's benign. Sometimes it's easier to talk on these boards precisely because of the distance they provide.

I don't mean to speak for Wounded, but I know I have in the past inadvertently hurt internet net friends who wanted to 'reach out and touch' me...I can't always overcome the urge to cringe away...

• waiting
    waiting

hey md,

Thanks, I thought of that too - but wanted to make sure that the invitation was obvious.

For years, I (along with knowledgeable professionals) have doubted/acknowledged the existence of mpd/did and persons like myself. Sometimes, I just wait and see what the professionals decide. Do persons like myself exist or not? Wait another 6 months and see if the tide turns again. Rather used to it by now.

When one speaks out with a thread - they shouldn't be terribly surprised when another responds.

Even in this area, we are all different.

waiting

ps To be quite honest, I never "picked up" on any of Wounded Heart's posts of her abilities. However, I zeroed in on you immediately. Sometime like minds/heart/experiences sing loudly.

• Wounded Heart
    Wounded Heart

Waiting, im sorry you feel we were ignoring you and the opportunity you have offered. things are difficult for my system on a daily basis. as i stated in the 2 posts that were responses to questions people asked, i am answering them in the order they were asked. we do not wish to leave anyone out. we simply just didnt get to your's yet altho you are next in line. i did not want to offend anyone which is why i am handling the questions as i am. i tire easily. concentration is difficult. i simply ran out of concentration and energy to answer more than the 4 i already have. i regret i cannot answer more quickly. some are easy to answer. others are not. yours is a more complicated one for us. due to what you shared and the level we would like to bring to our correspondance with you. we love what you write waiting. we feel a connection to you. we are hoping that we can be friends with you. we would richly enjoy a friendship with you. we already look for your posts. we like to read what you write. we agree with much of what you write. please do not give up on us....we will respond asap. please do not equate the waiting time to a level of disinterest. cause that is not the case at all. i appreciate you have kept trying. it means alot to us. all for now. off to see if i can answer your 1st post to us. will work from there.

caring,
    Kath

Wounded Heart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit