My Opinions on whats going on in WT land - Insider Information

by thedepressedsoul 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They may be worrying more about what will happen in the next couple of years than how bad things are right now.

Things are bad! Things are getting worse! Things are worse than any other time in human history! Shouldn't they be praying for things to collapse? They finally be right about one of their predictions!

Doc

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather speculate on silver and gold than on the contributions forthcoming. At least I have the ability to decide myself when, and how much, to spend on silver and on which forms. It is bail-in proof, and nor dependent on what happens at a company.

With the washtowel, they speculate on people donating their ice cream money. What happens when children continue spending their money on ice cream cones? Are they going to start disfellowshipping them, treating it as theft? That is one of the few treats children have left, and now the washtowel is taking it away. The reward on speculating on that ice cream money is paltry, and the risk is that they won't get anything at all. At least with silver, I only risk the money I spend on it and the reward can be mind-boggling.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I have to question the O.P. just a bit.

If the building work is done a voluntary basis, how are they running millions of dollars over budget? I understand that building materials have to be purchased, permits have to be pulled, etc. But in most construction projects, the majority of the costs go to paying the workers. The org doesn't really have that problem.

Did the org hire and outside engineering and architectural consultants to do the designing? Did the org hire larger construction firms to do the big work? Even at that, I have a hard time believing that their building deficits are "in the millions".

Am I missing something?

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    I have to question the O.P. just a bit.
    If the building work is done a voluntary basis, how are they running millions of dollars over budget? I understand that building materials have to be purchased, permits have to be pulled, etc. But in most construction projects, the majority of the costs go to paying the workers. The org doesn't really have that problem.
    Did the org hire and outside engineering and architectural consultants to do the designing? Did the org hire larger construction firms to do the big work? Even at that, I have a hard time believing that their building deficits are "in the millions".
    Am I missing something?

I have witnessed first hand that they have hired construction firms, I saw them last year, at Warwick. They were also to sign a contract that wouldn't allow them to "interact" with witnesses and esp the sister. That project is too big and too complex to be JW's only. Multiple contract firms were hired and are still hired that I know of to move the project along at the needed pace.

I know one of the dorm complexes at Wallkill was millions over budget due to structure permits alone. Something about the area needing to be able to withstand a certain earthquake rating because it was a large housing complex that people lived in. That alone was a few million over budget in the structure alone. That was just ONE residential complex at WallKill. They just started remodeling another.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Millions for a structure permit?
  • sir82
    sir82

Millions for a structure permit?

I would guess, millions spent in order to make the structure compliant enough to get the permit.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Don't forget the other stories we've heard about having to re-do and re-re-do substandard work by unqualified volunteers, using highest-end building materials.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

I think this is key.

They may be worrying more about what will happen in the next couple of years than how bad things are right now.

And it sounds like the construction is costing way more than anticipated. I have heard at a local level the flubs by the RBC and costly errors and pride. Rework that cost tens of thousands to correct due to poor decision making. Jah isn't doing a very good job at directing "his organization."

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I have heard at a local level the flubs by the RBC and costly errors and pride. Rework that cost tens of thousands to correct due to poor decision making. Jah isn't doing a very good job at directing "his organization."

I know of a poor decision at our Assm Hall that cost the R&F at least $250K. The attitude was: Don't worry, we'll just ask the brothers for additional contributions and they'll give it." Perhaps the attitude of the "brothers" has changed.

Doc

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Re: poor construction oversight

I know a lot of the assholes who ran the RBC and the assembly hall build in my area. These were almost uniformly low-level grunts who maybe took a CAD or project management class or two and worked at the very lowest levels of construction/engineering firms. Yet they acted like they were gods among men when around their fellow believers.

I don't think that experience was atypical. The OP rings true to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit