My Opinions on whats going on in WT land - Insider Information

by thedepressedsoul 98 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    I'm certain the change in the way KHs are financed is directly related.

Think of it like this, they can now put a "worth" on every hall.

Let's say Hall X gives $500 per month to the branch, the lot however is worth 1.5 million dollars. That hall is worth $6,000.00 per year or $60,000 over ten years. It would take 250 years to get that 1.5 million dollars at $500 per month. So now it is worth it to sell that hall verse the $500 per month.

The reverse could also be true. Hall X is sitting on a 500,000 lot but is giving $2,000 per month. It would make more sense to keep that hall.

Each hall now has a value not only on the land, but monthly/yearly revenue.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The wildcard in all of this is the following:

If things get dire enough, do they accept having a tax imposed on them and go back to charging for everything, a quarter for digital downloads, a dollar per magazine, etc.?

Seems like a lot of their money woes were self-inflicted. Revenues plummeted after they went to the donation-only model.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    tds - interesting points. Part of me thinks that they couldn't possibly have been savvy enough to put that plan into effect. However, some of the money saving moves appear to almost look like recommendations from an actual business consultant.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ thedepressedsoul...

This is definitely one of your better threads.

Hopefully after you exit, you'll eventually be able to change your username.

• done4good
    done4good

neverendingjourney - If things get dire enough, do they accept having a tax imposed on them and go back to charging for everything, a quarter for digital downloads, a dollar per magazine, etc.?

Cannot happen, unless there is a complete change of business model. Tax-free organizations are dependent on that status to remain in the black. Everything pretty much becomes taxable once that line is crossed, (real estate, capital gains, sales, etc). The society changed to a "donation" basis 25 years ago, kicking and screaming quietly just to avoid that change of status, as it likely would have bankrupted them in a few years. They will not do it now, because they cannot.

It is possible to do however if planned properly, but would require a major sell off of assets, and restructuring.

d4g

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

They were bragging during out watchtower how out congregation sends and extra $12k a year to the society.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Cannot happen, unless there is a complete change of business model.

Interesting. I wonder where that line is set. What if they were to set suggested donation amounts? Seems like mainstream churches get away with "suggesting" their members give them ten percent. Admittedly, I'm not an expert in 501(c)(3) organizations.

• Warwickslave
    Warwickslave

I want say hell to all first.

I worked at Warwick during the summer for two weeks. They waste so much time and money. They hired outside contractors to do most of the big work. It cost them so much money to do that.

Most of the brothers working there think they are building the new Jerusalem temple. They use the expression we're building, buildings that will last hundreds of years.

Were they have spend most of the money is on the lodging side of it. They have over 30 hotels I stayed at Doubletree Terrytown. They also had to hire transportation companies that take and bring brothers from hotels to Warwick. Going over budget for a project that size is not unusual. When you don't have many financial experts you end up wasting more money then you should.

One example is that they had to out bid a company for a crane. I forgot the number they payed, it was way higher then what they expected.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Very interesting comments. I doubt that they have been conducting any speculative investments in oil or gold. They hire the very best of financial consultants - To actually think that they gambled away assets is beyond reasonable. I would have to see support for this claim. In any event, you have a great insider's perspective.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

It would be ironic if there were JW mega-churches formed.

This is my view of where they are going.

Look at the changes they have already made; they seem to be imitating the look already, with large screens and the large gatherings for AGM, etc.

The problem for them with very large congregations is they want control, control, control; hard to control a congregation of 600 or more.

Having said that, the look, feel and content of the watchtower resembles evangelical religions more all the time, right down to Anthony Morris ranting on about fashion, etc, even taking a shot at how expensive taxes make living, and the slick videos.

How pathetic that the most exciting thing for young people these days in the organization is to invented characters, Sophia and Caleb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit