Iraq Parades dead US soldiers

by ISP 102 Replies latest social current

• ISP
    ISP

The parading of prisoners is against the Geneva convention but it was always going to happen. I also have no doubt that the prisoners will be abused....they were last time in the previous gulf war. British pilots suffered regular beatings, broken legs/nose etc. Nothing happened last time to the Iraqis.

Its no threat to say they will be done for war crimes. That will have no effect on saddam!

ISP

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I certainly would hope that our news reporting does not stoop to showing close-up of individuals being killed. But, let's face it, people actually expect to be given every tid bit of news, including that type of reporting, showing bodies, etc. We are well aware of sensationalism in good times, so it's bound to be there in bad times as well.

It's my understanding that those americans killed were in a convoy of troops, but they were a special unit, doing mechanical repairs to the machinery and vehicles, so perhaps that's what took them out of line and made targets of them. I heard it reported that they told their captors that they were not "fighting", but just a support unit, and they took them and shot them anyway.

These are barbarians and we should not in our wildest dreams believe they would concede to any "Geneva Conference" mandate. They are going to use death and carnage to their best advantage. This is very sad, but it would be ignorance on my part to believe that our leaders were not totally aware of what the men were up against when they started out. They had to have known the capabilities of the enemy. Yet, this is the cost of going up against them. They aren't "like" us. They have no regard for human life or dignity, and we can't change how they think or what they do. We are there to try to stop the ones in power.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what I think or feel about any of what's happening. It's out of my control. We give our leaders the power and they operate with that power for a purpose we have to have trust in. I figure they are the ones who know much more than me, so who am I to say anyone is wrong or right, unless I have all the facts and am in a position to really make a difference. And, only a very few people know all the facts.

• LB
    LB

Well Ang and Simon as Xena suggested you guys aren't able to tell the difference between a yellow ribbon and an altered flag. Most Americans take the flag seriously. But again, this doesn't suit your agenda so go ahead, do what you want.

Thankfully there are brave English who are doing more than their fair share over there and risking their lives for what they believe in, instead of just flashing some skin hoping to finally get a mans attention.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    But again, this doesn't suit your agenda so go ahead, do what you want.

What agenda .....let me see. Yes maybe its the only where we dont want to see the board spiral down into insults and chaos which we would then be looked to, to sort out - no doubt to the shouts from one side or the other that we are being biased. I give up.

I have tryed to step in today and explain the reasoning behind these posts, because I'm sick of seeing Simon take all the crap.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I saw part of the video on Canadian TV last night. I felt so badly for the woman. She must be terrified, and we all know what will happen to her. It breaks my heart.

This war is so wrong. Sorry if that makes me a target, but that is how I feel.

And.............the flag with the peace sign is not offensive. Why would it be?

• Simon
    Simon
    Well Ang and Simon as Xena suggested you guys aren't able to tell the difference between a yellow ribbon and an altered flag. Most Americans take the flag seriously. But again, this doesn't suit your agenda so go ahead, do what you want.

What's the difference? They are both just symbols of something. I know you take your flag seriously ... but it's not like it was saying "FU America" ... it was a PEACE sign ... or are you saying you are against peace? Funny ... I bet you are happy to see the flag devalued on any crap piece of merchandise but woe betide anyone who uses it for a worthy cause like 'peace' (that you just happen to disagree with)

What is the problem? Are "peace" and the USA totally diametrically opposed concepts?

Of course, I suggested that neither should be put on ...

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Parading dead Americans huh?

I recall briefly watching CNN during the gulf war and watching an American colonel showing film of smart bombs blowing up buildings in Iraq. He had the reporters laughing with his gags.Im glad they all thought it was funny, but that was because you couldnt see any body parts being blown into the air. A couple of Yanks got killed did they? Boohoo. I saw a pretty picture of an Iraqi kid with both her feet blown off . It staggers me that people who have experienced Watchtower brainwashing are still so susceptible to propaganda. Show an image of a flag and they get all teary eyed.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    Are "peace" and the USA totally diametrically opposed concepts?

LOL. Sometimes I think they are.

There isn't anything wrong with the flag with a peace sign. If you're offended by it, ignore it. I ignore baseless pro-war comments and insults. A harmless flag should be ignored if you don't like it. Like I said, I think people are opposed to it because it is a sign that we roundly reject Bush's explanations for his little war, that we love America (which they can't understand), but that we still think that a peaceful way is a better way.

ash

• Satanus
    Satanus

Here is a little flash back:

Rumsfield

ruled that PoWs captured by the Americans in Afghanistan more than a year ago have NO rights, and can be caged like animals at Camp X-Ray in Guantanamo, Cuba.
    Footage of 300 PoWs airlifted out of Kabul - with bags over their heads and chains on every conceivable part of their body - was jubilantly shown on American TV. The pictures were posted on the Pentagon's website.
    That was OK. That was broadcast to satisfy the understandable American desire for revenge for the attack on the Twin Towers.
    Yet, it is not OK for Saddam Hussein to take a leaf out of the Yankee book. When he does, he is "evil, evil" and his actions are an outrage.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12770615&method=full&siteid=50143

SS

• dubla
    dubla

ashi-

. If you're offended by it, ignore it. I ignore baseless pro-war comments and insults. A harmless flag should be ignored if you don't like it.

personally, i agree....there are a lot of things on any board that may or may not be offensive to somebody, but that somebody can simply ignore it. ignore the yellow ribbon if it insults you, how hard is that?

Like I said, I think people are opposed to it because it is a sign that we roundly reject Bush's explanations for his little war, that we love America (which they can't understand), but that we still think that a peaceful way is a better way.

i would just like to say that i am on the "prowar" side, and i do respect the beliefs of those that think there is a peaceful solution. i do fully understand that you can love america and hate this war, and i dont think im a minority on that one (i could be wrong). i think blanket implications are made on both sides, and its ridiculous. cant i be "prowar" but also accept the reasons for the "antiwar" movement? you have the right to be against the war, and you have the right to say it. we dont have to agree on it, and i dont have to believe you are anti-america bc of your views. i take issue with the way some people go about protesting, but thats a different story.

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit